Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast turkey disaster page

PlaydohYeti is offline Member

Roast turkey disaster

Shop Now
    We got a medium sized turkey for Christmas and roasted it in the oven as usual except for basting it in goose fat, and it just didn't look right. The skin sort of separated leaving gaps with the flesh showing through and wouldn't crisp up/turn golden. Until it was calved and disguised it looked very pallid and unappetising like it had been lying in the road for a few weeks.

I've never been much of a fan of turkey so I'm probably not a good judge, but it tasted OK to me, not like something that's likely to make you ill at least.

Any idea what went wrong? I told my mum to take a picture and send it to the supermarket with a complaint, but she didn't get round to it unfortunately.

dado Guest
    what? take picture for supermarket? you destroyed the turkey and you will complain to the supermarket?

geostump is offline Senior Member
    As long as you didn't get food poisoning, be grateful. Never heard of using goose fat for a turkey. I've always used butter for turkey.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    I made sage butter and put it under the turkey skin as well as on top and it was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    what? take picture for supermarket? you destroyed the turkey and you will complain to the supermarket?
    Like I said, it didn't look right to begin with and looked worse after cooking. I kind of alluded to there being something wrong with it in my first post. Being a vegetarian up until about 6 months ago doesn't really qualify me to say what, but my mum who has cooked the Christmas turkey every year for 30-odd years - and has yet to 'destroy' one - knew it wasn't right. Her first instinct was to buy another one, but there's not much you can do about it on Christmas day what with all the shops being closed.

As long as you didn't get food poisoning, be grateful. Never heard of using goose fat for a turkey. I've always used butter for turkey.
    It didn't bother me in the least, but you know how it is - the cook wants everything to look right on the big day. I posted out of curiosity more than anything.

We used goose fat because I have so many food intolerances including butter. I think she normally uses some of that processed 'healthier' fake butter stuff.

dado Guest
    You said it didn't look right after you roasted it, not before.

OK, you got me there, my mistake, sorry. So any idea what was up with it?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My guess is it was too wet going in to the oven. It should be thoroughly dry so the skin browns rather than steams.

Phkemp is offline Member
    Was the oven turned on?

dado Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaydohYeti View Post
    OK, you got me there, my mistake, sorry. So any idea what was up with it?
    maybe goose was mad at turkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast