Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - To Be Like Groketta -- That is the goal page

Primal Journal - To Be Like Groketta -- That is the goal

Primal Fuel
    I saw, on Youtube, a pushup technique performed during burpees, where the person makes chest contact with the floor and raises his palms from the floor during the down portion of the pushup. I'm going to start doing that, to keep my pushups honest and to get full range-of-motion when I do them.

Also, I've been thinking of the plank world record that Mark linked to, and I'd like to get up to 3 to 5 minutes for a plank. I currently do 1 minute (elbows-toes) as a part of the LHT workout.

Tell me about your pushup and plank tricks and hacks.
    In search of the elusive, unassisted, dead-hang pullup! | my journal

I've been eating not-so-good things lately. I need to cut that nonsense out, or I'll never be able to do the dead hang pullup.

On the other hand, I have been growing sprouts, and am looking forward to trying them. I've got alfalfa and broccoli.

While I'm not totally primal in my eating, I've noticed a difference when I'm more primal than not, especially when I'm mindful of carbs, so I need to get on that more. Also, I didn't make the 2011 pullup challenge, so I'll throw my hat into the 2012 pool when the opportunity arises.

It's also nice to be able to drop and do some pushups spontaneously throughout the day.
    Last edited by TobelikeGroketta; 01-07-2012 at 07:47 AM.

The Iron Woody site is having a sale on bands, so I bought the Pilates set, which is 3 bands that are smaller than the blue that I'm currently using for pullups.

I also discovered that I can do a pullup, not from the arms totally extended position, but from when I'm standing on the footrests of my pullup station, which puts my elbows in a 110-degree angle. I can only do that once. So, greasing the groove using the band is the way to go, I think.
    Last edited by TobelikeGroketta; 01-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.

I've been using the blue pullup band and consistently getting 1 or 2 at a time. I'm going to switch back to the green band and see if I make progress with it, then step down slowly with the weaker bands. If I can't do a full pullup, I try and hold the position when I've gone as high as I can, then lower a little bit, hold, and repeat. Sort of like assisted reverse pullups with steps added.

I've also been Grok squatting first when I floss in the morning, then when I brush.

ETA: For those of you with rubber pullup-assisting bands, how do you store them? I can't leave them hanging from the pullup bar because my cat will eat or chew them. I've been loosely folding them and storing them in unsealed in ziplock bags.

I did my three sets of pullups with the green band, and did many more. Once I comfortably hit at least 10 per set, I'll switch back to the smaller blue band.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    How did you discover primal?
    Do you have weight to lose? Or are you doing this for general health only? That is why I started, but fat loss needs to happen too, but not in a rush
    Looking forward to following you.

Thanks for the kind words, Ayla2010.

About a year ago, I found this site through a link recommending an exercise program, and was impressed by the Lift Heavy Things. I've always wanted upper-body strength, and due to an injury, can't really engage in chronic cardio like I used to. I was really taken in by the pullup progression that Mark offers. I've always wanted to do pullups, and following this strengthening program has helped me in so many ways, from the everyday to the unexpected. A few months ago, my foot was bothering me to the point that I couldn't put weight on it, and the LHT helped me to get around much easier, so I stick with it. It will definitely help me, should I need a new hip.

I do follow Weight Watchers and looking back, their former Core Foods program seemed to be alignable to Primal. My diet is by no means primal, but I've seen the difference when limiting my carb intake. I'm at my WW lifetime goal, but need some blend of more strength and less weight to achieve a dead-hang pullup. When I stick to LHT for three times a week (I've been slacking lately with one or two times), I feel great.

ETA: I like banana-fruity-berry smoothies, too (I also include carrots in mine)!
    Last edited by TobelikeGroketta; 01-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.

When I discovered and started with the MDA/LHT, on February 1, 2011, I couldn't do a single real pullup, could do elbow-knee sideplanks, and was using a band with stronger resistance for my pullups. I'm now doing more pullups using a weaker band, can do real pushups, and elbow/foot sideplanks. I'm also doing more reps of everything and am gaining the upper-body strength I've always wanted.

A couple of weeks ago, I got a door-mounted strap set that allows me to do bodyweight rows. I'm hoping this will help with the pullups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast