Thread: Purposeful Weight GAIN on PB page

DanielZ is offline Junior Member

Question Purposeful Weight GAIN on PB

Primal Fuel
    So, I took the plunge today! Although I have had a prolonged headache and some significant fatigue, but overall I'm very motivated to change my lifestyle. My wife and I even emptied the pantry and fridge and bought some new primal food in order to remove any temptations. I have some concerns, though...

I want to GAIN 20-30 lbs.

I am 5'11 and 135 lbs. In short, I am tired of being skinny (likely "skinny-fat"). I believe my goal should be to eat more carbs from plant sources, but that seems like a pretty tough task considering how much I would have to eat! How can I increase my carb intake without creating insulin spikes? Or am I way off base on how I should go about this?

I want to become a fat burning beast, but I also want to have some fat to burn. I'm worried that I'm too lean, causing my body to devour it's own muscle for energy. How am I supposed to gain muscle in the first place if it is being used up by my body?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I hope the headache and drowziness will go away...

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal carb sources are pretty easy, you don't need to eat 20lbs of greens to try to get them

Think sweet potatoes, yams, even white potatoes (as long as they don't cause you issues) and white rice.
    Eat lots and lift heavy and you'll put on weight in the right way
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Pooks is offline Junior Member
    Working out is the best way to gain weight.. This was even on Dr. OZ, he had a doctor come in that disagreed with OZ on different issues and they would argue about things.. It is not so much that they disagreed on issues tho, it's just that this Doctor said things "as they are" were Dr. OZ had a bigger picture on things... Basically the guy was saying working out made u gain weight.. and it is true.. cause you add muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat...

so anyways from personal experience since I used to do bodybuilding and stuff, I also know this is true... just keep eating and working out and it will happen... I like some of the ideas I read on here, like the Coffee with grass fed cow butter in the morning with some Omega oil's squirted in there for breakfast.. of course a bodybuilding favorite is always to eat peanut butter before bed, cause it slowly digests, as most fats do, and get your protein meats, fish etc..... nice lean weight gain should follow,,, since you are lean got to fat burn, just muscle to gain.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    You need to eat around 3,000 calories per day. Insulin spikes are not too be feared, so long as your insulin levels are not CHRONICALLY elevated. As Misabi noted above, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and white rice are all good options. Fruits and squashes are a great way to increase your carbohydrate intake. Here's what a workout day looks like for me:

Breakfast: smoothie -- 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 banana, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 cup of blueberries, 2 tablespoons of protein powder, 1/4 cup of orange juice (800-900 calories)

Dinner (after workout): 1 pound of steak (~1,000 calories), 1 pound of sweet potato with butter and maple syrup (~600 calories), smoothie -- 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 banana, 1 cup of frozen blueberries (~600 calories)

I'm 5'11" as well. During the Summer of 2010, I weighed around 140 pounds, and I now weigh about 165 pounds. I eat more carbohydrates than recommended by many, so if you want to eat less than that, you'll need to eat more eggs, meats, fish, and possibly even dairy.

DanielZ is offline Junior Member
    This is making more sense

I want to eat A LOT, carbs are not necessarily a problem as long as I don't eat them to excess (>200g or so) and as long as they are NOT processed (grains, etc). It sounds like if I begin to "lift heavy things", walk a lot, and do some sprint exercises (in a generally non-regimented way), I will make some progress in building muscle. I'm feeling a little better lol...

Thanks!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielZ View Post
    walk a lot, and do some sprint exercises (in a generally non-regimented way),
    Walking is key if you want to do some cardio.. I wouldn't sprint tooooo much.. You want to retain calories to gain weight.. Running & sprinting will burn calories & is typically a weight loss ally.. I personally do no cardio in my weight gain effort because I don't want to have to eat too much to compensate for calories burned during cardio.. Good sleep, excess calories, heavy lifting (maybe even taking 3-5 minutes between sets) is the focus.. All things to build strength & preserve energy, while remaining paleo in the foods you're eating.. Gain weight.. Calories in need to be higher than Calories out..

Pooks is offline Junior Member
    I disagree with the both sprinting and walking :-D... to gain weight you want to do slow but with resistance... you do not want to go so fast where you are gasping for oxygen, cause that is causing damage to your muscle and body. I would do bike riding, but it on a low gear so its hard, and pedal around a bit, nice n slow. Maybe a stationary bike better so if you go too slow you don't fall over :-P

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooks View Post
    I disagree with the both sprinting and walking :-D... to gain weight you want to do slow but with resistance... you do not want to go so fast where you are gasping for oxygen, cause that is causing damage to your muscle and body. I would do bike riding, but it on a low gear so its hard, and pedal around a bit, nice n slow. Maybe a stationary bike better so if you go too slow you don't fall over :-P
    Agreed