Thread: Grokadoodledoo - Intro page

GrokNoob is offline Junior Member

Grokadoodledoo - Intro

Shop Now
    Greetings primal beings,

So I thought I would post this thread to gauge what sort of response that I would get in regards to where to start ... again.

So, long story short, I tried going primal once before, without success. Reason for the failure, well I could blame other people, but the truth of it is that I wasn't prepared nor fully committed to making the change.

I must say that the two and a half week experience I found enormously interesting. The first couple of days were absolutely crap. I had a major energy crash to the point I was going home from work almost dead, but within a few days I did notice energy levels began increasing. I also didn't do any exercise during this period, which I knew to be a major stupid step on my behalf. After the first week I found myself enjoying the new lifestyle, but it turned to custard when other people I live with kept buying the same old crap. I don't think I prepared for that mentally, which is why I cut loose after about three weeks.

However, what I did take away from the short experience was the understanding that this was the best method for what I had always wanted to achieve. It was actually easy, other than the nasty temptations I had to put up with, but like I said, I just don't think i prepared myself for that at all. Also, I thought I would have a reward day where I would be allowed something carbolicious, but that turned around and bit me in the behind.

A little background: I've been "morbidly obese", as my doctor so lovingly put it, for most of my life now. I have tried other means of losing weight, but I never followed through; they were either too expensive or just not enjoyable. My weight has been all over the place over the last 15 years but I want to get back to a healthy body before I hit my second 21st Birthday.

So here I am again, and the advice I would like to ask is mainly of those who have been in my situation. Where do I start? I'm about 5'6" and weigh about 300 pounds, I have a strong attraction to sugar and carbs and really, really, really want to get this weight off.

I own the book, I have the PDFs, and I'm reading through them at the moment, but what are the main traps to look out for? Should I keep a food diary? etc etc. Any and all information would be most welcome.

Hei konei ra!
    Last edited by GrokNoob; 12-26-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Dude:

Dedication, dedication, dedication. that's how I dropped 50 pounds so far. I'm 6'-4" tall and weighed 323 pounds. I now weight 274 and plan to drop at least another 50. Throw all the carbs out - chips, cookies - all that stuff. Buy almonds, walnuts, mixed nuts - they have become my snack of choice since I like to have something to eat when I watch TV. I live on chicken wings, salads, berries, beef jerky and nuts - my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I love all that stuff. Find something Primal that you really like to eat, and eat it! Also try loading up heavy on protein for breakfast - like 3 or 4 boiled eggs. It will suppress your appetite though a big hunk of the day. I like to go to Max and Erma's here in Ohio for lunch - a 6-oz sirloin steak and steamed broccoli with butter is $9.99. YUM!!!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, dedication is an enormous part. That's the part I forgot about when I last started, but I also sort of felt like I didn't know where to start.

I should have jumped on here though, because I've found lots of things so far.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Dude:

Dedication, dedication, dedication. that's how I dropped 50 pounds so far. I'm 6'-4" tall and weighed 323 pounds. I now weight 274 and plan to drop at least another 50. Throw all the carbs out - chips, cookies - all that stuff. Buy almonds, walnuts, mixed nuts - they have become my snack of choice since I like to have something to eat when I watch TV. I live on chicken wings, salads, berries, beef jerky and nuts - my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I love all that stuff. Find something Primal that you really like to eat, and eat it! Also try loading up heavy on protein for breakfast - like 3 or 4 boiled eggs. It will suppress your appetite though a big hunk of the day. I like to go to Max and Erma's here in Ohio for lunch - a 6-oz sirloin steak and steamed broccoli with butter is $9.99. YUM!!!
    If that works for you, cool. But eating lots of nuts is discouraged my Mark. Just saying that for GrokNoob.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, Hedonist. I picked that up in the book I think. At least I know what to eat most of, meat and leafy vegetables, and certain berries. All of which I love. I have managed to convince my brother and his girlfriend to join with me, muhahahahahaha, so it won't be as hard as the last time I tried.