Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fats and heart health page

Oxyjenn is offline Junior Member

So I have been trying the primal nutrition lately. I am not eating grains and will usually get most of my carbs from veggies, milk, cottage cheese and yogurt.

I try to aim for around 20-24 gs of protein per meal divided into about 6 meals. I do use protein shakes as well at times. I try to be more natural about it, and that stuff I have isnt all natural. So if i do, it is 1 scoop split through 2 snacks (mixed in with either 1/2 cup cottage cheese or 1 oikos plain yogurt with some kind of nut butter and celery)

I am trying to eat more fat, but all I can really make myself eat is nuts for the most part. I am worried about this since I am scared for all the saturated fats to cause heart problems with all the clogging of the arteries. I do experience heart palpitations sometimes and I think about how much fat I eat, and I really see that being the only reason it is happening.

I am also trying to lean out a bit, so wouldn't eating so much fat really counteract losing the fat I have already?

I do use olive oil and flax seed also, but as far as going saturated, whatever amounts of that I do get are from chicken, turkey, and eggs. I know those are all pretty lean though.

Any advice would help.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

How much fat do you eat in a day? I think the first thing anyone would want here is an example of what you eat in a day, with an avg macronutrient intake.

There are two short points I would like to make, and I am sure others will chime in!

1. Fats and cholesterol only cause clogging when combined with inflammatory compounds. Thats the VERY short story. Basically if you stay low on toxins (fake stuff, smoking... blahblahblah) and low on refined ANYTHING and get enough sleep you should be living in a relatively low inflammation state, therefore no clogging.

2. Eating fat will not counteract losing fat. I know there is a HUGE debate here in the forums about calories in/calories out and how much it matters... well I think it matter a *little*. Its not as cut and dry sometimes. For example, I am not really working out right now so is it okay for me to eat 3000 cal? No. However I do try to stay low carb so can I still eat 2000 and not store it (due to not having a large amount of insulin)? Yes. If you are low carb and working out I would say fats dont matter, even at a high amount. Also I believe the O6:O3 raio in poultry is far less favorable than in grass fed beef. I would def try to incorporate some of that into your diet. As for flax seed oil... I would swith it up for fish oil. Fish oild s way higher in bioavalable fats and flax has been linked to thyroid disruption and estrogen dominance (bad if youre female).

Please anyone feel free to chime in!!!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Kristjan Guest

Saturated fat doesn't clog your arteries, that's been disproved a while ago

Griff is offline Senior Member

You need to read The Great Cholesterol Con, both versions - one by Kendrick and one by Colpo. That will smash the "artery-clogging saturated fat" myth that you're currently operating under. It's not true.

Your heart *prefers* saturated fat as a fuel. It works better on saturated fat. Go read the PB and some of the other books that have been referenced here. The doctors you deal with on a daily basis don't know what they're talking about.

Also, look at this video: http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

From my experience eating dairy regularly makes it impossible to slim down past a certain point.

(Edit) And that has everything to do with casein and lactose sensitivities, and nothing to do with the fat content, so don't worry about that.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I generally want to see all awesome people be their healthiest and happiest and I have no problem telling you that eating tons and tons of saturated fat will not clog your arteries. If it did, there would be no "french paradox". How does the European country that eats the most saturated fat have the lowest instance of coronary heart disease in Europe? It's certainly not the wine. It's that coronary heart disease is quite a complex phenomenon with multiple factors and none of those factors are exacerbated by saturated fat. Saturated fat will actually raise your HDL cholesterol more than any other fat, or carbohydrates.

Assuming it was the wine, wouldn't it then make sense to take grapeseed extract and eat lots of saturated fat? I take grape seed. Excellent antioxidant that one is. Actually now that I think about it grape seed would offer some heart protection. But the point is that saturated fat will improve your blood lipid profile.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

What about just eating 3 meals instead of 6?

Regarding the amount of protein perhaps you need less and more fat? Maybe you need 1g protein per kilo bodyweight. So if 70kg (x 2.2 to work out pounds) thats about 70g protein.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

I know Mark suggests 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. So, I'm torn about how much protein.

mkay. welll....let me see. I suppose I could go ahead and TRY to supply a daily meal plan intake. I dont really calculate much of anything except protein. On the fat part, I kinda just estimate most of the time.

I do work out, but I don't work out so so much. I feel I do more sitting than I should though, especially since I have homework and what not.

meals look like this breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack

Breakfast is usually a cup of skim milk and half a banana or no milk and a whole the equivalence of 2 fruits (basically trying to stay around the 20 carb area) my protein is starting to come from omelettes with around 5 eggs, only 1 whole. I also will pair it with some kinda of veggie and onion and cooked with olive oil. I used to eat oatmeal and banana and milk and eggs, but I don't do the oats anymore.

a snack is usually between choices of 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup cotttage cheese with 1/2 scoop whey or 1 oikos with 1/2 scoop whey with 1-2 tbsp flax or with bout 1 tbsp peanutbutter or a mix of other nuts + 2 celery stalks

lunch and dinner are kinda the same but just swapped out like...either chicken breast, turkey fillet, salmon or tilapia (sometimes Ill have a whey shake in the morning because Ill work out when I wake up first, 1 scoop=24g protein, 5 carb, 2 fats...so in this case, an omellette is a lunch or dinner option).

usually paired with veggies including spinach, collard greens, shrooms, onion, tomatoes, salsa, avocado, yellow squash, zuchini, mixed greens, green beans, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, red peppers, carrots, alfalfa sprouts. I usually use mustard and salsa for toppings or a light balsalmic viniagrett that was discovered at heb.

I usually eat some peanut butter or nut almost every meal I think. I love it too much I think. ): So if I do eat grains though, it is this http://www.josephsbakery.com/p-10222-Flax-Oat-Bran-and-Omega-3-Square-Lavash

I also try to stay away from those, since it turns out that I have a wheat, corn, sesame and shrimp allergy

and I only eat 1/4 of a sheet with peanut butter and a peice of chocolate on it or cinnamon or other spice

sometimes paired with bout 1/4 cup milk.

I may randomly grab a couple of frozen strawberries or more almonds

I also have a sweet tooth, so I probably consume a piece or 2 of dark chocolate almost every day and I do favor teas. I drink Yogi brand teas that are usually any kind of green tea. Some are decaf, some not. I favor coffee greatly, but I usually have sucha full stomach and I know it will only upset it after I have just eaten, same goes with teas. But I do try to drink tea instead of coffee most days.

Anyways, yes. I have gained some belly fat, although I am not ashamed of it ( i was toooo skinny before), I do not wish to gain any more. Since fats have higher calories, I am scared this will happen.

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

and I am also concerned about digestive health. Since fats tend to slow down digestion. My metabolism seems to have slowed somewhat opposed to some mornings where I would eat oatmeal and end up in the restroom shortly after. I feel full almost all of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast