Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coconut pancakes page

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i had a request to post this recipe so here goes. i definitely welcome any comments on making it better as it is a work in progress. here is the recipe as i made it last time, with my notes for changes. hope you like!

1 cup finely shredded coconut

1 cup almond flour or meal

1/4 tsp salt [table or finely ground sea]

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

1 tsp pure vanilla extract [next time i'll probably up it to 2 tsp for more flavour]

1 tsp cinnamon [think i'll do the same with this]

1 tsp lemon juice

2 tbsp coconut oil, melted

mix all the dry together in a large bowl. mix wet together. pour wet into dry and stir until combined. heat some extra coconut oil in a pan on medium heat. pour your batter into preferred pancake size and cook to desired brownness, flipping once.

a few notes:

- i prefer smaller cakes as it is easier to flip them, i can usually do 4 at once in my big 12" pan

- my fave way to serve is loads of melted butter, topped with some frozen blueberries zapped in the microwave until warmed and saucy, and drizzled with pure maple syrup for a sweet treat

- accompany with crispy bacon or sausage

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

awesome!

Douaron1 Guest

Any suggestions for Almond Meal/Flour Substitute?

What about Coconut Flour? Same effect?

Thanks

you could certainly try it with coconut flour, or just all shredded coconut but i liked the mix. you could also take any nuts, like pecans or almonds, and grind them up in the food processor. just be sure to stop short of making nut butter. even if the mixture is a little moist, it should work out okay.

I just got done with lunch and thought I couldn't eat another bite....but looking at this recipe makes me wish I was at home right now with a skillet in my hand and coconut in the other! Mmmmmm....

Thanks!

LabRat Guest

How do these taste? I've been mulling a replacement for the bun in my favorite cheeseburger construction, which is rather an essential part just for the texture contrast, but I don't know how "coconutty" these would wind up. I've eaten so little coconut that's not the sugar-charged crap that winds up in candy that I find the final flavor hard to conjure without taking a bite.

LabRat, I made Coconut cakes for my SOG (Almost) Primal Breakfast sandwiches that Mark posted for my husband on Father's Day and was worried that he'd hate them (he is NOT a big coconut fan and I used to hate it to), but he couldn't stop raving about the combination.

I kind of relate it to the McD's 'McGriddle', whereas the salty meat, egg & bacon, etc, with the sweet 'pancake bread' was a really wonderful replacement for a boring ol' bun.

But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth, since I used to be a self-proclaimed 'Coconut HATER'! ;-)

i used to hate coconut too until i had real, fresh stuff. that was enough to get me to try dried, shredded and unsweetened stuff from my local health food place and what a huge difference! i really enjoy using coconut oil, flour, meat - whatever, and find the taste more subtle and nutty.

that being said, i think if you omitted the cinnamon and vanilla you could def use these [or SoG's] recipe for "buns".

oh man, i think i am going to have to make these this weekend....

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Wow, that sounds so good.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

jostle is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Douaron1,

Here's a coconut flour recipe I use, since it's usually cheaper than almond flour.

* 1/2 cup coconut milk

* 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil

* 2 eggs

* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1/8 teaspoon salt

* 3 tablespoons packed coconut flour

* 1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Makes about 4-6 pancakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast