Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time management - please offer suggestions page

Ihavelight is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hello, everyone.

I am newly single and new to paleo eating. For some reason I don't seem to be able to get into a routine.

Having been used to cook for a family, I am still trying to figure out how to buy/cook for one. The fact that I now cook paleo makes it both easy (no arguments) and difficult (lots of prep).

I am also allergic to pork, eggs and to a much lesser extent beef, and slightly intolerant of nuts, which somewhat limits my options.

I am trying to organize my time so that paleo cooking doesn’t overtake my very limited free time. Would you please share your schedule with me?

Do you shop weekly? Do you cook daily or weekly? I seem to be doing constant prep – lunch for tomorrow, dinner for today, day in and day out….I love to cook but hate to be chained to the kitchen. Please help with suggestions and tricks you learned while on this diet.

Mr B Guest

seriously?

maba is offline Senior Member

Ihavelight is offline Junior Member

Why not? You obviously must have it down pat.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Cook in BIG batches. I only cook for 2, but usually make at least enough food for 6. I shop on Friday evening after work (Whole Foods and Costco are near my office) and Saturday morning (farmer's market is near the house!), and usually cook about 4 big meals per week. Then we have eggs/salads in addition to leftovers for lunch and breakfasts, and the other dinner nights. Sometimes I'll cook more meals in a week, but mainly it's cooking something big, then using the meat in different ways. Roast chicken one night, then chicken salad the next day, etc.

That is the one biggest time saver I have, is just to learn to love leftovers! I can eat "dinner" food any time of day now

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey

Try a traditional mealplan, e.g. roast a hunk of meat on Sunday, have it cold with veggies Monday, curry it Wednesday, Shepherd / Cottage Pie Thursday....!

Or, cook up big batches, divide into tupperware, and freeze.

Oooor you can find bags of frozen meat / lamb chops / fish fillets that you can bake from frozen, throw in some veggies to roast at the same time.

I generally shop once a week if that - so I eat the most perishable veg first (eg salad) and have the sturdier stuff later on.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

1. I shop weekly usually. I throw in a "use stuff in the freezer day" a couple times a month too.

2. Also, I leave a free form meal plan a couple days a week so I can use the leftovers/stuff in the fridge/cabinets up.

3. When I shop Ill spend an hour or so doing prep on everything. Clean and chop the veg/fruit. Chop the meat and stivk it in the fridge so its ready. Chop a couple onions for use in a couple days.

4. I eat leftovers ALL the time! For lunch its super easy. Ill cook maybe 3x a week but be fed the whole week (granted Im cooking for 1).

5. I do a lot of "pot meals". Ill make stews, braises, roasts and such. If I do make something like a steak... its rare so not too long of a cook time. If I make something that takes a while (stuffed peppers, cabbage rolls, chili, roast, burgers...) make a lot and freeze them!

6. I spend the most time on brekkie. I make an omlette evey day with veggies and a cup of tea.

For meal ideas I would reccomend checking out FlyNavyWife's Journal and HannahC's. I would do shameless self promotion but I haven beed posting too regularly in my journal.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Oooo I forgot - cabbage!

Chop the whole darn thing when you buy it, boil for a few minutes, then rinse in cold water, bag it up in portions, and freeze.

Lots of veg can be blanched and frozen like this. I also like pre-packed frozen veg for individual portions and less waste

Hope you have a big freezer!

NJC Guest

Hi,

I also get our organic fruit and veges delivered each week to save an hour and half round trip to the closest organic markets. Then we (4 of us) go to the markets once a month and buy a massive amount of meat/fish/chicken, etc. Like Tara tootie we prep most stuff as soon as it's home and package the meats into the meal sized portions before freezing.

Also, cooking casseroles and stuff in the slow cooker overnight is awesome. Wake up and breakfast is there plus heaps of left overs for the freezer.

Cheers

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

What happens to you when you eat pork and eggs and beef?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast