Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curse you chocolate monster page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Curse you chocolate monster

Primal Fuel
    Tis the season for lots of sugar and my old nemisis, chocolate, is once more back in my life. I sort of gave in a few days ago because I needed something to keep me awake, and then it was christmas and next thing I know I am eating my bodyweight in chocolate....

Now I need help to break the addiction again...
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Dude... when I first went paleo, I ate SO MUCH dark chocolate.
    Now I just can't let myself have it. It breaks me.

The holidays are brutal, I know what you mean. Good luck.

afroette is offline Member
    I think I may be the only American who couldn't care less for chocolate. Now give me a peanut butter centered desert and it is ON!
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

aben is offline Junior Member
    Well. As long as it is dark chocolate (at least 70 % cocoa - more is better) it is not such a bad thing. Just keep away from the sugar loaded milk chocolate.

I often eat dark chocolate (85 % cocoa), and I manage fine.

Also. Think about the 80-20 principle. You don't have to be perfect all of the time to enjoy the benefits of primal living.

Just get back on the wagon quickly.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I eat 90% cacao chocalate like a piece of hard candy, take a piece and suck on it for like 5 minutes, like a Jolly Rancher!!!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I used to be addicted to cacao; I would eat a bar of Green & Black's 85% dark chocolate EVERY DAY. I was constantly fatigued and moody and felt sick all the time. Now, I can have a little dark chocolate here and there and enjoy its benefits without going overboard.

First of all, cut out all dark chocolate for at least a week. Two would be better (I went a month without it at one point). It can be hard, but it's definitely doable. Add some paleo-friendly carbohydrates back into your diet in significant amounts -- for me, they were fruit and white potatoes. Do some exercise -- try to get a walk or light bike ride in every day, and definitely do some lifting. Drink lots of water; for me, large amounts of cacao can be very dehydrating. If you have digestive issues, use ginger tea or chewable DGL.

If you want to add cacao back into your diet, that's fine, but moderation is key. Theobromine is the key stimulant in cacao, and although it is milder than caffeine, it's effects are much longer lasting. Make sure you're buying the really expensive stuff -- $6 to $10 per bar is a good price range. This will keep you from buying bar after bar and chowing them down. Eat NO MORE than 20g per day, and make sure you don't eat it every single day. Be sure to eat it slowly -- let it melt in your mouth and take time to notice all of the different flavors present. You will appreciate it MUCH more this way, and you'll notice that you won't crave more than a very small amount.

Hope that helps!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    all of you need more magnesium
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    all of you need more magnesium
    Good point. My chocolate cravings vanished when I started supplementing magnesium at night again. Plus the fear of migraines helped I'm sure.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Annana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not at all bothered about chocolate, so typically I got loads for Christmas, from people who know I don't eat the bloody stuff! So I've been eating a Toblerone just to get rid of it, and am giving away the rest because I just don't want it. I can tell you I've been feeling pretty rough thanks to all the crap food over the past few days.

I can't wait to start the Whole 30 next month!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Just chuck it now! It can be hard, I know, but letting yourself indulge in the bad stuff before a Whole 30 just seems like cheating to me. I know I am going to cheat on Saturday because I'm going out, but I am fortunately out of all sweets in the house so there's no chance of slip-ups until Saturday.

Bring it to work and leave a sign for others to indulge, let them make bad decisions, not you, because you know better
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast