Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to eat offal but hate it. Any suggestions? page

Laura B is offline Member

Want to eat offal but hate it. Any suggestions?

Shop Now
    Hi! I want to eat offal but I hate liver. I've tried beef and chicken livers. I hate the taste and texture of it. Recently I put some in my chili, and I could feel the texture and taste of the liver yuck! Would ox tail count as offal? I tried a sample at a Caribbean restaurant and I could tolerate it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Find a local grass-fed butcher who will male offal sausages and patties. You can also add organ meat to ground meat and it is less noticeable. Alternatively, good oils and spices go a long way. I use coconut oil, tallow and parsley to flavor most of my meats. If you can at least manage liver and bone marrow, that's a pretty good smattering of what an animal can provide. Add a little seafood and lots of cooked greens and some seaweed and you're not missing much of anything nutritionally.

Seafood is great, too, especially if you eat the whole fish. Canned mackerel is the whole fish minus the head. You can eat the spine, skin and everything dark inside the belly pretty easily. Especially with some mustard. Consider it a gateway food for beginning carnivores. To be honest, I'm still in the process of getting my hands on a regular supply of grass-fed organ meats. Liver, fat and marrow are the easiest to find for me. But, thanks to money, it's canned fish for now.

Sorry, no, ox tail is meat, fat and bone. If you get the neural cord out and eat it, that's a pretty good step in the right direction.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    You might start with stuff that's not strictly muscle, like the tendons, ligaments, etc found on things like oxtail. As for liver, I used to hate it myself (and the texture can still get to me), but I started eating it weekly, with copious amounts of tasty reductions, and now I usually look forward to it--even plain, just cooked in butter.

Feel free to take baby steps and branch out as you can.
    Last edited by tangentrider; 12-26-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

raney is offline Senior Member
    My habit lately has been to hide liver in meatballs. It has been going reasonably well for me.

To make: mince the liver - I recently read that a cheese grater may work as well - you want to chop/grate it while still slightly frozen, so it has some rigidity. A food processor might work for this as well.

Once you have it in small enough pieces, mix with a proportionate amount of ground beef - I've been using 1/2lb liver per 1lb ground beef, with the intention of eating half the recipe at once. Feel free to adjust the ratio; as little as 1oz of liver will still contain 7500 - 10k IU of vitamin A and a good amount of B12. Add an egg or two and herbs/spices/veges as you like: I use plenty of chopped garlic, oregano, a touch of basil, a few chopped serrano peppers, and some onions sauteed in butter. Optional: add a little coconut or almond flour to hold them together. I don't, and they turn out a little bit crumbly, which I don't mind.

Cook in your favorite oil (more butter works well, and adds another strong flavor to mask the liver), covered, for a few minutes depending on thickness. Finish on high heat to sear the outside a bit.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    If you like to make your own jerky I'd recommend using beef heart as your lean cut. Try cutting a small chunk off and pan-frying it with salt and pepper to about medium-rare or rarer. If you like the way that tastes then you might be up for eating it as part of a meal(beef heart steak nice and easy). At 2 dollars a pound(at my co-op) for grass-fed it's a great source of protein, b-vitamins, potassium, iron, magnesium, zinc and copper.

I would consider oxtail offal to some extent. There's some good connective tissue that can be boiled out of it. Although nutritionally it's not in the same bracket as say liver.

Annana is online now Senior Member
    Gluten free haggis is always a good option. It's the only form of offal I like so far. But someone told me haggis is illegal in parts of America for some bizarre reason. But if you can get it, it's very nice and doesn't taste offally.

raney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annana View Post
    Gluten free haggis is always a good option. It's the only form of offal I like so far. But someone told me haggis is illegal in parts of America for some bizarre reason. But if you can get it, it's very nice and doesn't taste offally.
    Sheep lung is illegal here. I'd like the opportunity to try haggis.

Laura B is offline Member
    Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I'm going to try liver again in my chili. I will spice it up more to cover the taste. At least my boyfriend likes liver so at least it won't go to waste if I don't like it!

Annana is online now Senior Member
    Weird! You definitely should try it if you ever get the chance. It's kind of like a really soft, spicy mince.

Paleobird Guest
    For me, the gross out factor about liver wasn't the taste but rather the texture. Making pate out of it solves that problem. You can also make a big batch of pate and freeze small containers for later use. Yummy stuff.

Heart makes a really good slow cooker stew in addition to the jerky mentioned above.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast