Thread: Clarifying question about eating to lose weight page

afroette is offline Member

Question Clarifying question about eating to lose weight

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,
    I am relatively new to the way of eating. I have a crap of weight to lose as my signature details. I understand that I restrict my carbs to 50 g or less a day to lose weight. I'd like to know if I need to restrict the overall number of calories too. I remember reading a post by Mark not too long ago where he warns against too much almond flour consumption which leads to excessive calorie intake. So, again do I need to target 2000 cal or so a day? Assume that I still am learning the concept of "eating until full." Thanks for the help guys!
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This is a very hotly debated topic on this forum. Everyone has their own opinion on this and people who eat this way have found different ways to be successful including calorie counting within a primal framework. (And be forewarned this question brings out a lot of our resident trolls who don't really eat a primal diet and will just tell you to count calories and not worry about anything else.)

Personally, I did not need to count calories to lose weight eating a primal diet. I didn't even count carbs. What I did that worked well for me was stay very focused on the core of primal eating. Lots of fats, meats, and veggies. I ate fruit and nuts - but they were reserved for "emergency" meals - running late for work and no time to cook - I would grab a banana and some cashews. That kind of thing. The vast majority of my meals were homecooked meats, fats, and veggies. It is very hard to over-eat that way because my appetite really dropped.

I did not, and still don't, do any primal baking stuff. I don't believe that almond or coconut flours are healthy in anything but small amounts. I think also contributed to a lack of overeating. I did make almond flour pancakes 2-3 times in a year, but not a regular thing.

I actually think it is fine to start with eating until satisfied if you are eating fat, meat, and veggies. Stick with Marks basics in the beginning. Only tweak if you are having trouble.

Welcome and good luck!!
    Last edited by jammies; 12-26-2011 at 02:28 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    And to repeat what Jammies just said, eat meat and fat and vegetables. Fruits and nuts are fine occasionally, but keep them to a minimum for now. Almond and coconut flours (and other similar products) are not going to help you.

If you are just starting, I would even say don't count calories at all for the first few weeks. Get your body accustomed to the new fuel you are providing before you start restricting that fuel. After a month or so, reevaluate and see if you need to cut things back.

Finally, try to eliminate snacking as soon as you possibly can. Nothing good can come of it.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    +1 to both answers above.

Thanks guys for your input!
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    While I TRULY respect Jammies and jfreak, I am losing weight eating primal but for me, calories count. However, its not just calories I watch but fat grams (I keep at @ 50% of my calories), 50 g carbs and then its like 135g-150g protein/day. There is a link in my sign. line about S.P.E.E.D that has helped me work with my body chemistry.

Now, for some folks they can just eat primal and lose and thats it. However, I am not one of those persons

Good luck in your quest!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I feel, as a formerly obese person, that hunger will destroy your best efforts. I did rely heavily on nuts when going Primal at first, but wish I'd had tallow at hand as a primary fat source. It's important to really fill up on your meals. Coconut oil is great, too. And the easiest way to move these healthy fats into your body is a nice piece of fish or other meat, a mountain of vegetables, or a nice stew. The first lot of weight will come off easily as much of it is water. Then the fat burning gets going. It isn't until the last twenty or so pounds that most if us have had to get more dedicated to regulating our intake. I had to cut nuts, fruit and nightshades and add organ meats. A little liver and cooked greens will go a long way, because when your body has all the vitamins it needs it won't crave things so much.

You can and will easily lose most of what you need to without restricting calories, especially if you make coconut oil a staple in your diet. Medium chain triglycerides live up to the hype, and I get mine in coconut milk. Actually, one can of coconut milk is my breakfast most days. Keeps me full, ketogenic and warm for a good four to six hours. After that, my body eats its fat.

I'm still high-fat paleo/Primal. About 75% of my calories come from fat. Protein intake is usually enough to break even, 60 to 100 grams, and the rest is vegetables like mountains of broccoli, seaweed, spinach etc. I do eat a little sweet potato on carb-up days, but save that for later down the road.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I have a simple kind of suggestion. Just do your best to eat your fill of veggies at every meal (I mean things like broccoli) and allow a small portion of left over space for meat or something. That's a super primal way to eat, and even if you are the hungriest person out there, I doubt you can eat enough broccoli to support a high BMI.
    I just don't like calorie counting. YOu could also try to eyeball it.

On the flip side, at a med school lecture I attended, they told us about research they had done on the small percent of obese people who managed to lose weight AND keep the weight off. Apparently the ones that managed to keep the weight off all tended to be very strict about their energy balance on a given day. While they might not go all Zone DIet on you and weigh and measure crap, they kept a good idea of how many calories they were putting in and how many they were spending throughout the day.
    The researchers suggested that with the way they had eaten before, these people had changed the way their bodies/minds worked and they needed these processes to override the instincts ingrained in them.

Food for thought. Good luck!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guy. I think I will try to be generally mindful of how much food I intake. I fear that throwing oil on something to increase my fat intake will push me over. When I lost the weight before, I did not count calories religiously but I always knew that I was generally under 2k.

So far, I have not been very ugly. Sometimes my stomach has growled but I have not experienced extreme hunger. I have had a few times of mindless constant eating/overeating.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270