Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassanina's Primal Journal (Hooray!) page 3

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    Day Six
    6 days Binge Free

Happy New Year! Feels good to have started my journey (and my journal) prior to the New Year. I kind of hate resolutions, as they make it seem like something is wrong and needs to be resolved in your life. I did make some 2012 goals though.

2012 Plan of Action:
    Do an unassisted pullup (possible a weighted one eventually!)
    Run 3 races
    Continue with Crossfit & Paleo/Primal
    Do a Whole30 challenge (started today!)
    Try to buy only grass-fed, pasteurized and/or wild-caught meat (budget more towards this)
    Make one new recipe a week
    Grow something (start some sort of garden)

No weight loss goals exactly, but being able to do a pullup will incorporate losing weight and getting stronger. Kind of proud of myself for not dying to set a weight loss goal. Probably the first year in a long time! I have a friend who set a 100 pounds in 2012 goal. Just scares me to put something in concrete like that. I want to get healthier, I think that's a pretty good goal and will have lots of unintended side-effects as a result.

Food
    Fasted until dinner (24hrs), then a steak with my family. No wine, no appetizers, no nothing else! Hooray!

Exercise
    Did push-up workout for the 100-pushup challenge. No sprinting, no slow movement.

Sunlight, Play, Use Brain
    No sunlight here! Did play games for a few hours with the family, so I used my brian as well!

Avoid Poison & Stupid Mistakes
    Check!

Sleep
    7 hours. Went to bed a little after midnight. Was actually surprised I lasted all the way until midnight since I got up at 6am, but it's the last night with my sisters so I made an effort!

Oh, and the highlights went great! She did wash my hair with conventional shampoo, but when I woke up today it wasn't greasy at all. That's kind of a miracle so maybe my hair is adjusting to the No 'Poo! I can only hope it doesn't have to start all over.

Happy New Year! Here's to the best year yet, where I take back my health and become the healthy, strong, fit woman I was meant to be!
    的t's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

joan is offline Senior Member
    it sounds like five days binge free has started to change your eating process as well as your mental processes. that's great. it would suck to still be stuck in all the mental patterns of binge eating while living primal. changing the patterns in your head is one of the hardest things to do, and it sounds like you're really up to the challenge.

Day Seven
    7 days Binge Free
    Whole30 challenge: Day One

Pretty chill day yesterday. Drove over to Seattle with my mom (about 5 hours) and read her "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes for a few hours. Then we even read more when we got back to her apartment. Going to finish it up today. We went to the grocery store too and I got some stuff to make her primal chili and chicken curry. She just had lap band surgery 5 weeks ago and hasn't really changed her diet. But she expressed yesterday that she's interested in doing something Atkins-ish again. HOORAY! Maybe I've finally gotten to her. I think she might do the Whole30 challenge with me and start it tomorrow. I AM SO PROUD!

Food
    Big breakfast. Then wasn't really hungry the rest of the day. Had about a half serving of the primal chili that I made my mom, and then portioned out the remaining 14 servings (I wanted to fill up her freezer obviously!) so she can take them and go. She is supposed to eat 1/2 cup of food about 5-6 times a day with the lap band, so these will be perfect! Making her chicken curry today and portioning that out again.

Exercise
    Nope. Drove for 4 hours. No sprinting, no slow movement.

Again, no sunlight really here right now. No playing, but I read outloud for 4 hours which definitely used my brain I would argue.

Check!

Sleep
    About 9 hours, but it was on an air mattress so the last few hours weren't awesome as it felt like I was on a waterbed and didn't want to blow it back up and wake up my mom.

Two more days of vacation and then headed back to my real life.

Army Officer by day.

Day Eight
    8 days Binge Free
    Whole30 challenge: Day Two

Can't believe it's been 8 days already. Seems so natural now! No desires for binging, so I am very proud!

Finished reading Why We Get Fat with my Mom yesterday. I think she's really getting into this low-carb thing! We went the gym yesterday and she asked me to be her personal trainer and make sure she's doing the moves correctly and recommend a plan for her. She was using gym machines, and way too many of them. I made her a 5 workout plan: chest press (push), shoulder press (push), lat pulldown (pull), leg press (squat) and planks. She can do it 3 rounds in probably 20-30 minutes and get a fullbody workout. Seemed similar in nature to the Primal movements. Talked to her about functional movements, and how she really can get a fullbody workout if she just focuses on pushing, pulling and squating. Her carb count yesterday was about 48grams. I am beyong proud of her! Also, I really liked training her at the gym. Makes me wonder if maybe I should go into something nutrtion/fitness related after I get out of the Army...

Food
    Big brunch. Wasn't too hungry the rest of the day. Made some chicken curry and yummy roasted cauliflower for dinner and ate a little.

Exercise
    Not really. Showed a few exercises at the gym to my mom, but nothing hard or long. Slow movement consisted of about 30-40 minutes of shopping at a few places, so I think that counts! No sprinting.

Raining in Seattle, again! No play, but read outloud again for about 2 hours so used my brain.

Check!

Sleep
    8 hours on the air mattress. Woke up at 0530 but that's 0730 in Texas, which is where I'll be tomorrow so I am just getting back on schedule it seems!

Heading back to Texas tomorrow, and back to work on Thursday. And I am WAY excited for the Whole9 Nutrition conference in Austin this Saturday!

Whole30 challenge is going well. Only thing I've really done is cut out dairy and no artificial sweeteners. I've never made it more than week through a Whole30, so I am super motivated to do these 30 days and really see how my body feels.

Army Officer by day.

wow, nice going. it sounds like you're really an inspiration to your mom - kudos to her for taking down barriers enough to show her curiosity, listen, and give it a solid go. i bet it was fun to be in the gym with her good luck on your whole30 challenge! i hope you have a good trip home tomorrow.

Day Nine
    9 days Binge Free
    Whole30 challenge: Day Three

Made another awesome recipe for my mom last night. Egg Muffins. Basically an omelette in a muffin tin. She said they were AWESOME. Was going to have one but realized that I put cheese in them and Whole30 doesn't allow dairy! So I had a small bite that didn't have visible cheese on it and called it good. Will make it at home without cheese because they were tasty and super portable!

Food
    Big breakfast. Small dinner. Seems to be working best for me right now.

Exercise
    Nope.

Overcast in Seattle. For play, I danced around like a crazy person for an entire song on the radio in honor of my "play" requirement. Felt awesome and kind of silly but I think it'll count for playing for now! Not sure if I used my brain, but I did navigate myself to a friend's house in Seattle and back to my mom's, so I had to think a lot!

Check!

Sleep
    About 7-7 1/2 hours. Stayed up late watching The Biggest Loser with my mom. It premiered last night and I super LOVE that show. It's my guilty pleasure. She had never seen it before, but liked it, and set up a series recorder on her DVR about it. YAY MOM! I have been so proud of her this last week.

Headed to the airport now. Got a 4 hour flight to Chicago, 3 hour layover, then a 2 hour flight to Texas. Plenty of time for napping (if my body will let me) and reading all the new nutrition books I got on my Kindle. And may even start Hunger Games.

Whole30 has been a cake-walk so far. Hope it continues!

Army Officer by day.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Awesome work Cassie!

Day Ten
    10 days Binge Free
    Whole30 challenge: Day Four

Made it back to Texas in one piece. Was a pretty uneventful trip! I definitely was examining a lot of places for food and what people were eating and just kept being amazed at how almost every single restaurant and small store was FULL of wheat, etc. I didn't really see people eating anything else. I had brought some food with me for the trip (cost effective and I know it's good!) so I ate that and just got some iced tea on my layover. No snacks for me!

Food
    Big breakfast. Had a small snack when I got home around 9pm cause I was a little hungry. Nothing off plan or bad for me at all!

Exercise
    Walked around the airport for 20mins before my first flight, then had a 3 hour layover in Chicago where I walked around for an entire hour. Lots of slow movement for sure! No LHT, no sprinting.

In an airplane or airport all day, so no. No playing either, and I only used my brain to navigate the airports. Did do some good reading on "Good Calories, Bad Calories" though!

Check!

Sleep
    Probably 7 1/2 hours, maybe 8. Went to bed a little before 11 and got up at 7, but had a harder time falling asleep cause my body was still on West Coast time.

So I put on my uniform for the first time in two weeks and it's a little bit looser, but not as much as I thought it would be after how well I've done the last 10 days. Was a little discouraged, but I tried on a pair of jeans that didn't get over my butt a few weeks ago and got them up and they're about 2 inches away from fitting. So I guess it's working, but had hoped it would be quicker! Got 59 days until I'm in a bikini, time to get HOT!

Back to Crossfit tonight. I am excited! And back to work today too. But it's almost the weekend already and it's almost time for the Whole9 nutritional conference on Saturday!

Army Officer by day.

good goin' staying healthy on the trip. it definitely takes effort to pack good stuff, but is Way worth it once you see the effects of airport food on your stomach and wallet. also, i'm with you on the 'results feeling slow' part. but you know what? it's been ten days. you're doing awesome. We're doing awesome. hang in there, cause your body is hard at work readjusting and setting things right, getting into the new swing of things. i hope you've been taking progress pictures! you're gonna need stuff to compare the afters to, lady. cheers to gettin Hot!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Joan! It's nice to have someone going through this at about the same time!

Took a pic back in November in a bikini (not flattering!) and will take one probably next week or so, and then one before my Caribbean trip. I have the bikini hanging on my wall as inspiration!

Army Officer by day.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast