Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassanina's Primal Journal (Hooray!) page 2

joan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    boy, do i know what stubborn families are like. go you. *cheers*

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    Day Three
    3 days Binge Free

Something feels different inside me. Like an understanding that this is for life and not a punishment. The last three days have been INSANELY easy, haven't even thought about eating all the junk that my family has around. Maybe, just maybe, I'm finally on my way!

Food
    I am definitely liking the big breakfast, normal lunch and fasting through dinner rather than fasting through breakfast. Will have to see how that pans out when I get back to Texas because Crossfit is at 8pm so I'd be going to bed without eating. Would probably just do my recovery shake after CF and that would be it. OR---I could wake up for the 5am class. I don't know, then I'd need to go to bed by 8pm at the latest to get enough sleep, which gives me like two hours after work most days, or about an hour on the days I do evening yoga. Hmm. Food for thought.
    Food yesterday was right on point. And, OHMYGOSH, the grass-fed beef was amazing! I just took the ground beef, added salt and pepper and cooked up a burger. Soooo tasty! Like a steak. I am never going back to grain-fed if I don't have to!

Exercise
    Body Weight workouts: Pushups and Squats. Oh boo, how I hate pushups and squats! But finished the sets and did well.
    No sprinting, and no moving slowly, except for about 30 minutes of shopping downtown. Once I get back to Texas, I'll make a point of waking up a little earlier and walking the dog for at least 30mins before work.

Sunlight, Play, Use Brain
    No sunlight (was raining here for most of the day). No playing (I'm not really sure how to incorporate this rule into my life, actually). Read a lot yesterday, so I think that was brain-time well spent!

Avoid Poison & Stupid Mistakes
    Check!

Sleep
    Was pretty tired at the end of the day. Slept pretty well, almost 10 hours! I am a girl that loves 8-9 hours a night, so sleeping has never been a problem. But I am an early-riser (I think my cortisol levels are right on point because I wake up AWAKE and get very sleepy at night---that's one less thing to worry about!), so I don't stay up late very often unless it's necessary.

So went shopping yesterday with my sister to exchange a few things from Christmas. Needed to get a bigger bra size (midjudged my rib size or the bra runs small), and we tried on some clothes too. For some reason, perhaps because I am a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd try on some jeans. No mind you, this is the juniors sections, so I am fully aware they will need to be bigger to accomodate. Grabbed some Levi's in two styles and then didn't think they'd fit or look good but gave it a go. First pair, slipped right one and looked better than the only pair of jeans I currently own (yeah, I refused to buy bigger jeans when I gained weight...). Hooray! Second pair, same size and brand but different style, couldn't get over the tops of my thighs. Haha. Oh jeans! Just laughed about it and didn't beat myself up because they didn't fit. That's a non-scale victory for sure! Bought the jeans, and I look great. What up!

Hopefully this picture works. This is from last week at the Seahawks-49ers game. I have boobs and hips, so I will never be tiny, but I will definitely be healthier and stronger (which I am sure means I'll be smaller one day, too).
    的t's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

woohoo! yay for new clothes and grass fed beef i'm going to be in kansas city in a week and a half, and i'm Really looking forward to coming home with a bunch of grass fed meats and storage crop organic veggies.

your boobs are bigger than mine, but boy do i know what it feels like to know i'll never be tiny. i actually freak out when i get skinnier, i have a strong need to feel Sturdy. looking forward to being more burly, too are you planning to specifically try to build muscle once you've leaned up, or do you just want to lean and tone?

Day Four
    4 days Binge Free

Another easy and successful day! Avoided the wine tasting and the salami they brought home (sugar, #3 ingrediant, BOO).

Food
    On point. Loving a big breakfast! Also, I am in love with coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions. I actually just love almost EVERYTHING from that website.

Exercise
    Body Weight workouts: Dips & Situps. Felt stronger on both already and it's only been a week. Getting my strength back!
    No sprinting. Took down all the Christmas decorations while everyone was winetasting and stored it all downstairs. That was probably 30 minutes of good slow moving. Go me!

Raining. Played a few hours of games with the family last night. I consider that both play AND using my brain. Wish I could find a good intramural sports team back in Texas...

Check!

Sleep
    8 hours. Woke up after 7 hours and kind of tossed around for the next hour or two, so I figure it was 8 hours.

I am taking this Primal thing very seriously now! I have ordered some natural deodorant from Tropical Traditions and have been using only coconut oil for months as my moisturizer. I'm also going No 'Poo! Been 10 days since I washed my hair with conventional shampoo. It doesn't look great, but it seems to be producing less oil! Bad thing though, I'm getting my hair done tomorrow and I don't think I'll be able to avoid the shampooing at the salon since I'm getting highlights. Hope that it doesn't restart this whole thing! Been doing Baking Soda + Vinegar for now, but I did order some shampoo and conditioner from Cocoa Pink that's highly recommeded from tne No 'Poo people. Hopefully I can finally go more than ONE DAY without washing my hair, and hoping that ditching the conventional stripping shampoo will make my hair softer, fuller, and less weighed down. Here's hoping!

Army Officer by day.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Just read your journal Cass...
    You are going to do awesome.
    Remember the 'shoot for 100, and be happy with 80 rule.'

Not sure if this applies to you, and the others reading, but in the past when I've been doing great, I feel great about myself, but when I 'cheat' I feel guilty and start to think I'm failing...that causes me to get down on myself and lose momentum...

I'm a perfectionist by nature. I finally learned that perfection isn't possible. So now I focus on trying to simply be excellent. That means when I fall off, I have the nuts to stay on track and keep focused. But part of that is being ready and prepared in advance for the inevitable mistakes that come along the way.
    If you binge...that's part of your journey. Move on to staying the course, because the binge, if it happens, is allowed to be part of your course.

Sometimes when we are super excited about stuff, we want to share it with the people we are closest to. Expecting they will be excited for us. Usually doesn't work out that way. At least not for me. They have their own stuff, and their own views. That's why this site is nice. Lots of people excited about what we are excited about!

I'm an ex-Seahawks season ticket holder. Unfortunately I gave up my tickets before Hasselbeck came on board. Nice to see the team appearing to be on the right track again.

go cassanina, go! i did baking soda and vinegar in my hair for a while, it worked just as well as shampoo for me, Minus getting oily after two days, and Minus the weird dry poofiness the day i showered. now my hair is in dreads, and i mostly do not wash it, just massage vigorously and rinse it really thoroughly. sometimes i'll use dr. bronner's soap in it, though i haven't tried baking soda and vinegar with dreads yet. they seem to be fine.

if you had your choice of intramural sport, what would you go for? i think i'd pick rugby

Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    your boobs are bigger than mine, but boy do i know what it feels like to know i'll never be tiny. i actually freak out when i get skinnier, i have a strong need to feel Sturdy. looking forward to being more burly, too are you planning to specifically try to build muscle once you've leaned up, or do you just want to lean and tone?
    I am pretty muscular, underneath this 20 pounds I want to lose! I am going to continue Crossfit (for the strength) and Yoga (for my sanity! Oh, yeah, and flexibility...) throughout. I want to be a toned size 6-8 (whatever weight that gives me) but not SUPER toned. I enjoy my curves, but just want them to be smaller. I don't ever want to be weak! One of my 2012 goals is to finally be able to do a pullup! Hell, a weighted pull-up!

Army Officer by day.

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior View Post
    Just read your journal Cass...
    You are going to do awesome.
    Remember the 'shoot for 100, and be happy with 80 rule.'
    Thanks Peaceful! I too am a perfectionist and your words right very true. I hadn't really stopped to think about it yet. I have an all or nothing mentality that I am definitely working on, but which contributes to my binging. Messed up at breakfast? Ruined the whole day, might as well keep messing up! *FAIL*. I actually ate some things yesterday I didn't plan on it, and felt (even for a minute) that I failed....but then I remembered that it's just part of the process and eating an extra 4oz of cheese and a cup of nuts doesn't derail me! So I may not have lost weight yesterday, but it surely was Primal and I can't beat myself up!

Thanks for posting! Always happy to see another Seahawk fan. My parents have season tickets, so I always try to catch a game when I visit for Christmas.

Army Officer by day.

Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    if you had your choice of intramural sport, what would you go for? i think i'd pick rugby
    I played volleyball in high school, so probably that. But I would also love some flag football! Played powderpuff football in high school and college (the ONE game a year, but still!) and LOVED it! I think Rugby would be INTENSE, but I could dig it for sure!

Army Officer by day.

Day Five
    5 days Binge Free

Well I was going to post that yesterday was kind of unsuccessful. But after thinking some more, and reading PeacefulWarrior's post, I realize that I really didn't mess up at all. I'm just super hard on myself. Nothing I ate was off Primal, but it wasn't on *MY* eating plan, so I beat myself up. No more doing that!

I felt a slight binge desire yesterday, and gave in slightly, in a healthy way. I stopped and recognized that I wanted to eat, and then allowed myself like a huge (4oz+?) block of cheese, about a cup of macadamia nuts, and then made some sweet potato fries for dinner. Everything was Primal, but I planned one eating none of those things yesterday. I could have easily eaten a dozen cookies or cake or anything else, so I consider this a success and will not adjust my binge-free counter!

Food
    Good breakfast. Good lunch. Then lots of cheese, nuts, and a sweet potato. Still within the rules, but I will consider it within my 20%.

Exercise
    No workout. No sprinting. No moving slow. Super lazy day curled up with the family watching shows and movies! Loved it though.

Raining. No playing. Doubt I used my brain much!

Check!

Sleep
    9 hours. Slept well, even after my sweet potato. Forget how much better I sleep when I'm grain-free!

Off to get some highlights, and I know she'll use regular shampoo. Hope it doesn't mess up my No 'Poo journey too much! Oh well if it does. Just like with life, you fall down and get back up. If I have to start back over with the adjustment period, I start back over! This is for life, so no use giving up!

Army Officer by day.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast