Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: the more I dig, the more confused it get... page 6

chima_p is offline Senior Member

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

yep, i do get sun during the 2 weeks im diving somewhere in the indian ocean

i still dont think thats enough.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Thanks chima_p, I suspected the Chukchi diet was similar to that of the Inuit, but I had to drop a kiddo at school and didn't have time to look it up.

Tarlach, still waiting to hear about Chukchi vitamin D status. And since you're drawing a distinction between inland Chukchi and those that live on the peninsula, I'd like comparisons of the vitamin D and health status (not just life expectancy) of the subgroups as well.

Tarlach is offline Member

eva> Well your diet is great, so you probably have nothing to worry about. Don't let all the fear mongering get to you

Pikaia> I'm not drawing any distinctions between inland and coastal Chukchi besides from saying they have different diets based upon availability of food.

I'm not going to go and find specific details for you, because you are too lazy to do it. I have supplied you with a new factor in the vitamin D equation and it is up to you to decide if you care about it or not. I'm perfectly content that I have taken enough information into account to make my decision to not take supplements. If you ignore evidence, or blindly accept the information that convinces you to take supplements, then that's up to you. I'm simply supplying information so people can have a better picture of what is going on and make their own minds up.

Grok didn't need supplements and neither do modern hunter gatherer tribes. We may require supplements on a SAD diet, but eating PB is probably enough to fix that and eating more meat definitely will.

How about I leave you with a quote (from yourself):
    [quote]

and I'm sure you know how to Google.
    </blockquote>
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

And here&#39;s some information about life expectancy, to show why native tribes have shorter averages:

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/02/paleo-life-expectancy.html

It&#39;s usually a case of infant death rates due to situations that they aren&#39;t old enough to handle. I&#39;m sure the Chukchi are exposed to these, as was Grok.

Western medicine and lifestyle has almost completely eradicated this part of the curve for modern societies (and subsequently raised our average life expectancy)

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

that same blog points out that the longest lived groups are the ones who eat plants and animals, such as the okinawans. he has a fairly recent post discussing the diets of mostly-meat groups and groups with a broader-ranging diet.

all-meat is great, but meat+plant gets you to the really old ages in excellent health. that&#39;s just simple fact. a diverse diet of meat and herbs and local plants is the way for longest life at a high level of health. just meat alone will get you to about 65-70 on average. a little veg thrown in and some herbs is what gets people to 80-85 on average.

i can&#39;t get access to 120 kinds of plants like the kalahari bushmen, and i can only get access to a few kinds of meat and fish that are reasonably &#39;pure&#39; and as a pregnant woman i have a current intolerance for organ meat, even raw, so i supplement with vitamin d and fish oil. plus, you know, the whole &#39;brown and lives near the arctic circle thing&#39;. i am way browner than any inuit (they are actually quite pale compared to their distant relatives in warmer areas of, say, north america) and even in high summer i am not getting near enough vitD from the sun or from meat.

don&#39;t get me wrong, i am (when not pregnant) like 80% meat in my own diet, but i don&#39;t think all vegetables are all poison or that herbs in my bone soup are draining me of precious precious life. and the data doesn&#39;t support your extreme view on meat as much as you&#39;d think.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Tarlach, the burden of proof is on you, not me. Since you won&#39;t present any evidence, I can only conclude that you don&#39;t have any solid data to support your position. If anyone is being lazy here, it is you.

What do you want me to prove? That the Chukchi have adequate vitamin D?

And how do I do that when we can&#39;t even test for anything besides vitamin D in the blood (which doesn&#39;t show stored vitamin D anyway) and we don&#39;t know how much people actually need (as shown in the link I posted).

As I stated earlier:

How about the fact that they are darker skinned and eat more meat. This shows that they didn&#39;t need to change pigmentation to synthesize more vitamin D (if that&#39;s why it happened in Europe).

How about you explain to me why the Eskimo and Chukchi have darker skin, when they live so far north and have extremely limited sun exposure? They obviously haven&#39;t evolved to synthesize more vitamin D because they didn&#39;t need to.

So why would any PB eater require vitamin D supplements? Especially any who eat a lot of meat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

fbw> I&#39;m not carnivorous, so I don&#39;t see what your point is? What is my &#39;extreme view&#39; supposed to be? I said more meat helps you avoid any vitamin D deficiencies. The further north you live, the more meat required in the diet. This is closely supported by the documentation of dietary habits of modern tribes.

I never said veg was bad for you. Europeans were consuming things like grains when they changed pigmentation and it&#39;s neolithic food that is the likely cause of any possible vitamin D depletion.

As PB avoids these things, it&#39;s quite easy to go without vitamin D supplements. It&#39;s only people like eva that may need to eat more meat than average.
    [quote]

White Europeans could have evolved as recently as 5,500 years ago, according to research which suggests that the early humans who populated Britain and Scandinavia had dark skins for millenniums.

It was only when early humans gave up hunter-gathering and switched to farming about 5,500 years ago that white skin began to be favoured, say the researchers.</blockquote>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6814896.ece

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Some good info on this thread, but please try not to attack other members for their opinions/advice.

Let Tarlach present his info as he wills, we all have our own lives and cannot possibly conduct and post all the research required to answer all questions.

Let&#39;s just keep it a little more civil.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456