Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Fish consumption and mercury page

  1. #1
    keevelish's Avatar
    keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    179

    Fish consumption and mercury

    Shop Now
    We eat a lot of fish and somone mentioned that by doing so we're greatly increasing the mercury load in our bodies.

    In the US pregnant women are recommended to consume no more than 12 ounces of fish per week to avoid too much mercury- as mercury can affect the baby's developing nervous system.

    I'm not pregnant, just wondering about the differences between US guidelines for pregnant (or breastfeeding) mothers vs. those in Japan. And if Japan's guidelines allowe for frequent fish consumption by mothers, do they have much higher rates of abnormalities in neonates due to the mercury? Anyone know?

    I'm still nursing my three year old, and don't plan on reducing my fish consumption. She herself eats a ton, and her five year old sister lives on fish. I couldn't imagine eating less than 12 ounces per week.

  2. #2
    primat's Avatar
    primat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kristiansand, Norway
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by keevelish View Post
    I'm not pregnant, just wondering about the differences between US guidelines for pregnant (or breastfeeding) mothers vs. those in Japan. And if Japan's guidelines allowe for frequent fish consumption by mothers, do they have much higher rates of abnormalities in neonates due to the mercury? Anyone know?
    Well, I don't know that, but what we do know is that selenium has a high affinity for binding to mercury, so as long as you eat fish with higher amounts of selenium it won't be a problem. I don't worry about it at all since we don't eat fish with a low selenium to mercury ratio

  3. #3
    Fiji's Avatar
    Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    214
    Not all fish are created equal. They say to avoid big ocean fish like tuna although even among tuna, albacore is the worst and light tuna are smaller fish so less mercury. Basically, the higher up in the food chain the fish is, the more mercury it is likely to contain (mackerel, shark, tilefish, tuna, swordfish).

    I myself don't eat red meat or poultry so fish is my main source of protein. I think wild Alaskan salmon is the best and most sustainable but definitely avoid Atlantic salmon (i.e. farmed salmon).

    Below is a list of fish categorized from the least contaminated to the highest.

    Mercury Levels in Fish | NRDC

    Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-26-2011 at 05:26 AM.

  4. #4
    Fiji's Avatar
    Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    214
    Oh yes, and sardines are also a great (cheaper) option and on the lowest mercury list.
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-26-2011 at 05:27 AM.

  5. #5
    Karma's Avatar
    Karma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by keevelish View Post
    We eat a lot of fish and somone mentioned that by doing so we're greatly increasing the mercury load in our bodies.

    In the US pregnant women are recommended to consume no more than 12 ounces of fish per week to avoid too much mercury- as mercury can affect the baby's developing nervous system.

    I'm not pregnant, just wondering about the differences between US guidelines for pregnant (or breastfeeding) mothers vs. those in Japan. And if Japan's guidelines allowe for frequent fish consumption by mothers, do they have much higher rates of abnormalities in neonates due to the mercury? Anyone know?

    I'm still nursing my three year old, and don't plan on reducing my fish consumption. She herself eats a ton, and her five year old sister lives on fish. I couldn't imagine eating less than 12 ounces per week.
    The absorbtion of mercury is directly related to the quantity of selenium in said fish. There is really not that much too worry about unless you are eating kliller whale meat (low in selinium). The original study that scared the crap out of people with regard to mercury was done on killer whale meat. Read this article for more insight:

    Is eating fish safe? A lot safer than not eating fish!

  6. #6
    keevelish's Avatar
    keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    179
    Oh,neat, thanks!

    I'm not personally concerned about my fish intake. But I like arguing, hahah.

  7. #7
    paleo-bunny's Avatar
    paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SW England, UK
    Posts
    2,667
    The WHO guidelines admit that exposure to mercury from amalgam fillings is on average 20 x that of exposure from fish intake.

    The WHO advises pregnant women to limit their weekly consumption of fish to 2-3 portions, yet it does not advise to replace amalgam fillings prior to conceiving, nor does it advise against getting amalgam fillings during pregnancy.

    Something doesn't add up... especially when one takes into account the amazing health benefits of omega 3 in oily fish.

    Still, I'd say, go careful with tuna. Wild Alaskan salmon is one of the best foods for benefitting your baby's eye and brain development due to the omega 3 content and the mercury content is nothing to worry about.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

  8. #8
    Primalest's Avatar
    Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    110
    This is something I have worried about too. Thanks for the good info guys, that was all interesting to read! Really appreciate you guys clearing that one up a bit.

  9. #9
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    The absorbtion of mercury is directly related to the quantity of selenium in said fish. There is really not that much too worry about unless you are eating kliller whale meat (low in selinium). The original study that scared the crap out of people with regard to mercury was done on killer whale meat. Read this article for more insight:

    Is eating fish safe? A lot safer than not eating fish!
    Thanks for the Chris Kresser link. That is an interesting site. I like his science based approach.

  10. #10
    Karma's Avatar
    Karma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Thanks for the Chris Kresser link. That is an interesting site. I like his science based approach.
    Chris is really smart, kind of dry, but really on top of his game. His podcast (healthy sceptic) has some really good discussions.

    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •