Thread: Are Chia Seeds Primal? page

westes is offline Senior Member

Are Chia Seeds Primal?

Primal Fuel
    I have been trying Chia seeds lately, to try to gain an additional source of soluble fiber. How does this food agree with the principles of the Primal diet?

Chia seeds (same seed used for those ugly Chia pet plants) are a very nutritious seed used by the Mayans and Aztecs as one of their four primary food sources. You stir the seed into water and it forms in 30 minutes a gelatine and has a texture similar to tapioca. The nutritional breakdown for one tablespoon is:

Polyunsatured fats 3g // extremely rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids...one of the richest sources of any food

Carbohydrate 5g // all of this starch is in soluble fiber, so like a fruit or vegetable the sugar release should be extremely slow

Protein 3g // It is an amino-acid-complete protein

Philosophically I can see how a strict Primal adherent might object to this food, because it is probably a product of the agricultural revolution 10K years ago. Biologically however the food appears to have enough fats and proteins to be a more balanced food. And very critically it has the starch wrapped in fiber so that there is not a large instantaneous carbohydrate load on the body.

I have been taking 2 Tbsp of Chia at breakfast, which gives me another 10 grams of soluble fiber into the diet each day. I was taking 4 Tbsp, but frankly it robs too much appetite and I was not able to eat other nutritious foods at dinner.

Grok is offline Senior Member

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Ever think about sprouting them?
    from ~ Chia Micro-Greens

Chia
    A profoundly slippery (mucilaginous) seed when wet.
    Most famous thanks to Chia Pets . Chia is the pets "fur".
    Chia is very nutritious and is easy to grow as a Micro-Green.

Nutritional info:
    Vitamins A, B, C, and E
    Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
    Chlorophyll, Amino Acids
    Antioxidants
    Protein: 20-25%

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Heh:

Original Chia Pet Commercal - YouTube

I'd say this one is not primal, however:

Cheetos Pet - YouTube

raney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    Polyunsatured fats 3g // extremely rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids...one of the richest sources of any food
    I'd recommend reading this thread.

Claraflo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat them merely because I find my hydration levels have been greatly improved by eating them. They also slow liquids down when passing through the intestinal tact leading to better absorption of nutrients. As far as the nutritional value contained within them? Good luck to accessing that unless you are actually chewing them. If you look at your stools you will see most of the seeds have passed through your digestive tract whole. Most seeds do, thats how they are able to be spread around the globe by animals and eventually germinate.