Thread: Toxic vitamin supplements? page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Toxic vitamin supplements?

Primal Fuel
    Recent newspaper articles (i.e., the "You Docs" column) have highlighted a study claiming toxicity (i.e., percentage increase in mortality) from multivitamins containing, in particular, copper and iron.

There have to be a lot of opinions here, and it would be helpful to hear them. Do you take a multivitamin supplement, and, if so, what do you take, and why?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It was my understanding that many multi-vitamins were removing the iron portion, since levels could easily be too high.

Other than that - no clue.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Paleobird Guest
    I would rather eat and drink my vitamins and minerals than take them in a pill. Unless you are supplementing due to a particular deficiency that has been tested and actually found to exist, not just an internet site telling you that everyone is deficient, I don't see the point in supplements. Primal is the healthiest diet on earth.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    gnc womens ultra mega, i don't like to eat that much food
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Claraflo is offline Member
    I dont take synthetic vitamins. I eat blue-green algae which is high in essential nutrients. I take the view that nature knows best when it comes to quantity and vitamin mix. Almost all illness comes from humans dicking around with their food sources, so I rely on wholefoods with high nutrient levels. Job done.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Aside from the 3 supplements below, any others aren't needed, I reckon:

- Vitamin D (if you lack sun exposure or live in a location where adequate exposure isn't feasible all year)
    - Magnesium (due to its depletion in modern soil)
    - Omega 3 Fish Oil (if you can't afford / don't buy grass-fed meat)

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Good info...thanks. I am only taking D-3 in 1000 iu daily now. And I only take that October through April.

Interesting stuff on blue-green algae...will look into that. However, I did read this, which is disconcerting:

"If you think you are experiencing symptoms related to exposure to blue-green algae (e.g., stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing), contact your doctor or the Poison Information Hotline (800-222-1222) right away."

The above was on this site: http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/bluegreenalgae/
    Last edited by Bear; 12-26-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added info

Claraflo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Good info...thanks. I am only taking D-3 in 1000 iu daily now. And I only take that October through April.

Interesting stuff on blue-green algae...will look into that. However, I did read this, which is disconcerting:

"If you think you are experiencing symptoms related to exposure to blue-green algae (e.g., stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing), contact your doctor or the Poison Information Hotline (800-222-1222)
    right away."

The above was on this site: Blue-Green Algae
    This is related to contamination in blue-green algae thats commercially farmed in smewhat dubious conditiins in 2nd world countries. And I agree that eating algae thats contaminated can be deleterious to your health. As with all food, the source if it is important. Water borne illnesses are amoung the most dangerous. Nearly all 'organic' algae is grown in China and India where certification for organic is either extremely lax or non-existent.

You can easily tell the quality if an algae product by its taste. If it has a strong odour and unpleasant flavour, its contaminated. Good quality algae is near tasteless.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That study was not very well done. It was a retrospective study where they just asked people if they took any supplement in the last years and then compared the people who said yes to the people who said no. The people who said no lived a tiny bit longer. Big problem with that is that many people with poor health take supplements to try to improve their quality of life -so the groups were not equal. Take iron for example. People with diagnosed iron deficient anemia were all included in the vitamin group. That means they already of some type of health issue.

I have found a few supplements really improve my quality of life - D3, magnesium, iodine and potassium. If you are eating a truly primal diet including liver, marrow, oysters, brazil nuts, kelp and chicken stock you can probably get everything except D3 and magnesium. If you are eating just muscle meat you could very well still develop deficiencies.