Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting too primal page

bruce.b is offline Member

I was hiking this morning and had a rather primal encounter with a bear. I've seen black bears in the woods and my backyard at least a 100 times in the last ten years and I'm not normally concerned about an encounter with them, but this was different.

Kiko (my dog) and I were topping out a hill when we see a good sized black bear about 150 feet away. I stop and yell "hello bear" to it. It looks at us for a couple seconds and starts coming right at us at a walk. I yell and throw a stick and it stops. When we start walking away it starts following us. I stop and yell again and it stops. This goes on for a good ten minutes, with multiple stare downs. Twice it was close enough that I could have hit it by throwing a stone at it. Kiko was all excited and I was too. It was getting pretty scary as it was clearly stalking us and gave me a big, heart pounding adrenalin rush. I even thought about the advice to imagine a large carnivore is chasing you when you do sprints. This seemed to qualify.

I'm thinking about carrying something to scare them with; not sure what. This one was way too aggressive and *not* afraid of people. I'd say he was about 250 pounds or more. Pretty freaky.

bruce b.

Nick Guest

If you're of substantial build, carry a large knife (Kabar was originally named so because a fur trapper wrote them and noted how good it was when he had to 'kill a bar'). If not, carry a pistol in a substantial caliber/energy at minimum. .357 magnum, .357sig, .40s&w, .44mag, and any of the larger and more ridiculous would work fine. A levergun in one of those pistol calibers (like a Marlin 1895) would work well too, as would any rifle in a hunting caliber or military caliber .30+.

Note that due to an amendment to the recent credit card reform bill, the concealed carry laws of the state now apply to national parks in that state.

That said, I did read a story of a woman who encountered a black bear and ran, for about 2 hours, back home while engaging in a running fistfight with the bear. She was scratched up but okay. Of course many people just get killed by them, too.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

wow bruce, that must have been scary. glad to hear you and kiko were unharmed.

i think hikers often attach bells to their packs so that bears will hear them coming. i thought usually they want to stay away from humans but it sounds like this guy was kinda agro. maybe an air horn would scare him off? or a fox 40 whistle.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I am glad I live in NYC. Could Pepper spray work?.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

LabRat Guest

Where do you live? You need to call whatever authorities are responsible for wildlife control in your area and report this- it's highly unusual for a black bear to be so overtly predatory and this bear is clearly becoming a "problem bear".

That said, Nick's advice is sound. Would be arming up more for a grizzly, but black bears aren't quite as, ah, armored. A bear that's completely unimpressed by shouting and other primate threat behavior probably isn't going to turn a hair over air horns or pepper spray either and if it's close enough for the latter things have gone to ohcrapsville.

dalvarez Guest

lmao! pepper spray! are you from Brooklyn?

-one question: Was his name YOGI?

LabRat Guest

New Mexico. Black bears visit my yard, too, but our bears are circumspect and don't bother anyone. (So far.)

Believe it or not, I actually have seen a lot of people touting pepper spray as an anti-bear measure. If I just want to piss it off, I'll use a pointy stick...

bruce.b is offline Member

This was in Morris County, New Jersey, at Pyramid Mountain Park.

http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/pyrmtndir.asp

This is the first time I've ever had a black bear act aggressively..... quite a surprise.

I'm hoping this behavior isn't a trend. I'm not yet ready to get a gun. It did stop advancing when I stopped and yelled so perhaps a loud whistle, as someone suggested, might help. I like knives so maybe this is a good excuse to get a nice big one. As of now I'm assuming this is unlikely to occur again. It did get me really jazzed! I could always Grok out and make a spear. Hmmm.

bruce

jpippenger Guest

Now you have a good reference for doing sprints. Glad you're okay.

Relosa is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think a loud whistle will work one like a referee has. I think they make whistles for bears as well. Besides if you're hiking they can be helpful if you get lost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast