Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under 100 carbs, what to eat? page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey guys, I had a super long post that got lost so here's a shortened version, for a better America.

I'm 24, male, 5'8 (roughly) and 172lbs. I used to do Muaythai and at my lowest weight in the past 2 years I was around 143lbs however I did almost no weight training at all. I was very lean.

I just started trying to eat primal a week and a half ago, most often than not I eat a stir fry of veggies and have a protein on the side whenever I can (for instance, in the morning I add eggs and for lunch/dinner I find a meat protein) I plugged in the ingredients on fitday.com and it said I was eating over 140 carbs. I was thinking of dropping broccoli from my diet since that seems like one of the carb heavy veggies I eat. I love broccoli though but if it needs to go for a time then I will cut it out.

Work out wise I lift three times a week, heavy for me at least. Usually back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/legs and I do sprints twice a week. This week I also started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which I do three days a week directly after school.

That's been consistent for a week and I plan to stick with it. I'm going to look into crossfit workouts as well.

How can I eat under 100 carbs? I need fuel to work out (though I'm going to try fasted workouts, I usually do my lifting sessions around 2pm so maybe I'll only have breakfast then train, then eat afterward) but most importantly I don't want to go hungry which I have not yet experienced. Admittedly I don't think I eat enough fats but a buddy who turned me onto Mark's site told me he was cutting back on his fat intake. He's very lean and active so I would naturally want to listen to his advice. He says that by lowering his fat intake his body will draw from his fat reserves for energy and he will lean out in the process. At the same time by eating plenty of protein he'll be able to maintain his muscle mass and the vegetables he eats will satisfy his carb and mineral requirements. He basically said if I wanted to lose fat I should monitor my fat intake but make sure I keep a steady stream of protein and vegetables. I'm just worried that if I eat too high in carbs I won't be using any fat as energy.

This site (http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm) says my bmi is 25.8 I would love to be in the lower teens in the next few months. I don't care how much I weigh, for me it's about how I look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any veggies to add, any to drop? Comments in general? I'm open to suggestion and very willing to learn.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I ate under 100 carbs today.

Breakfast- protein shake (whey, 3 eggs, coconut milk, half cup each of carrots and broccoli.)

Lunch- 2 eggs, 5 strips of bacon, a cup of broccoli

Dinner- Chinese shrimp and mixed veg, and an apple.

Hmm perhaps I'm still stuck in my old thinking but could I eat that little (to me it sounds like I could have your whole day in a single sitting) and still exercise?

I appreciate your input, but I feel I may need more food...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Throw in some more eggs and bacon.

emmie is offline Senior Member

I work out at 6 am (get up at 4), and I eat protein/fat both before and after I work out. Usually, tuna or salmon salad (chopped celery and homemade mayo) and/or eggs and hamburger. I save my veggies for my evening meal, although I sometimes make a veggie omelet at my 'second breakfast' with a little chopped spinach or onion. That meal after I work out substitutes for lunch, but if you can spare the calories you can also have lunch.

My carbs are usually about 20-30g a day.

So, eat less veggies and more protein/fat?

Any truth to the paragraph I wrote about my buddy (who is also paleo/primal) who said eating too much fat can be counter productive to my body using my existing fat reserves for energy? He said if I keep giving my body fat it will use that inflow for energy instead of using my own body fat... so I won't really lose any BF. Sound reasonable?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Fewer vegetables, more protein, and definitely more fat. I'm eating about 70% to 80% of my calories every day in fats, 20-30% in protein, and trace carbs. If I can, you can.

If the idea that "if you eat fat you will not lose body fat" was true, I wouldn't have already dropped over 70 pounds since August. I think you can safely put that idea to rest. It's not true.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Progenitor is offline Junior Member

Your friend may be right if you are eating a high fat diet that gives you a calorie surplus. The fat you eat would be stored as fat, used as energy, and then your fat reserves would be used. If you were eating too much though, you would not be using your reserves.

But you would be surprised how quickly you fill up on a high fat diet, a calorie surplus is unlikely unless you are eating many carbs too. If you follow Griff's advise, you should get great results. Monitor your carb content and eat enough fat until satisfied.

Griff is offline Senior Member

iniQuity, to follow up on why you can lose body fat while eating a fat-heavy, carb-light diet: I also just looked at this video, which is a lecture that Gary Taubes gave a group of physicians last summer:

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Check it out from about 45:00 to the zinger that comes in at about 52:50.

In a nutshell: Almost all hormones in the body except insulin tell the fat tissue "dump fatty acids into the bloodstream so we have fuel available." Insulin does the opposite. It moves fat into the fat tissues. The hormones that metabolize fat, including HGH, can't do it if insulin levels are elevated. If you eat carbohydrates, you elevate your insulin levels.

So you have to lower your insulin levels in order to drop body fat. Otherwise, the fat gets stored. BUT! In order for insulin to store fat in the fat cells, it needs a particular substance called "glycerol-3 phosphate" to break the dietary fat down into fatty acids. Otherwise they can't get into the tissues. Guess what glycerol-3 phosphate is produced from?

If you guessed "dietary carbs," you got it in one. The body can't produce very much of it at all on its own.

So if you aren't eating any carbs, your body doesn't have the substances necessary to move dietary fat into the cells. Therefore, the dietary fat that doesn't get immediately used by the body gets flushed out as waste. And since your body needs fuel all the time, even when you aren't eating, if there's no dietary fat around to burn, it'll burn adipose tissue - stored body fat - because you aren't eating carbs to stimulate insulin to block the other hormones that metabolize fat, or to produce glycerol-3 phosphate from glucose metabolism.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm struggling with how to get more fats? more nuts and avocado to start off while I learn?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast