Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explaining Paleo/Primal is EXHAUSTING... page

Explaining Paleo/Primal is EXHAUSTING...

Shop Now
    I've about given up here explaining this way of life... now I tell people that I swallowed a family of tapeworms and it seems to have cleared up all my problems. For some reason they find this more believable.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    I simply tell people that I am on a high-protein, low-carb diet.
    Usually they don't bother inquiring further, since the automatic response is to loudly declare that they wouldn't be able to live without bread.
    *eye roll*
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    What you need is what we in business call an "elevator speach". Just in case you get into an elevator with a high level exec, you have the ride time to convince him/her that your project needs funding.

Here is mine:

Metabolic Efficiency - Nutrition Elevator Pitch

I eat “real” food – fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit. I choose foods that are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition. I have chosen to refrain from eating cultivated grains or foods that promote inflammation or rapid insulin production by my body. The quality of the foods that go into my body is important – I’m careful about where my meat comes from, and buy my meats and produce locally and organically as often as possible. When necessary, I will use high quality supplements to ensure I am meeting the needs of my body.

I am not on a calorie restriction “diet” – I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy and a healthy weight. My diet is probably much higher in fat than you’d imagine. Fat isn’t the enemy – it’s a great energy source when it comes from high quality foods like avocado, coconut and nuts. And I’m not trying to do a “low carb” thing, but since I’m eating vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal and pasta, it just happens to work out that way.

Eating like this is good for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation within my body. I'm very pleased by my energy levels while eating this way. I don't have dramatic blood sugar highs and lows or the dreaded 2:00pm "slump". My body composition and performance in the gym and on the playing field are showing steady improvement. My chosen diet and lifestyle also helps to minimize my risk for a whole host of chronic diseases and conditions like diabetes, heart attack and stroke.

I spend quality time exercising at a moderately low % of my maximum capacity. Not a day goes by without doing something to promote good form and proper balance between strength and efficiency. By doing this I am teaching my body to rely on fat stores more and carbohydrates less. I periodically exercise in short bursts of very high intensity to promote muscle strength and development. I lift heavy things a few times a week too.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    just tell them you only eat meat vegetables and occasionally fruit. if they inquire further you can get specific but generally that about covers it.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I just tell people I gave up eating processed foods and leave it at that. If they ask for more I say I focus on meats, veggies, and fruits.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I just tell people I gave up eating processed foods and leave it at that. If they ask for more I say I focus on meats, veggies, and fruits.
    Me, too. Also, "I'm mildly allergic to wheat so I usually avoid it."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    I tell people that I just stopped eating crap food that was no good for me. They all nod & smile and no doubt figure I'm on low fat & whole grains. Very few people are actually interested enough to enquire further as to what I consider crap food, those that do ask, or show that they are not just making small talk get the benefit of a proper explanation. I have no desire to evangelize or preach to anybody.

People think me weird enough as it is without telling them I am emulating a caveman.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I tell people that all I did was cut out wheat.

That sounds better than saying I don't eat bread, pasta, etc...
    If they insepct all the grain products for wheat they will soon realize that EVERYTHING is made out of wheat and a lightbulb might go off...at least they'll realize 'wow this shit is everywhere, maybe there is something to it'.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I also use the "no processed foods" line. Most people don't really ask, as I moved to Boston after losing all the weight, so no one knew me before.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    People I work with have seen me shrink since May so they ask me, I don't have to convince them.

But when my wife and I are at a restaurant and I want to substitute the bread and fries I just say:
    "Can I substitute the ___? I'm Diabetic."

I've never been refused.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast