Thread: Transitioning to a warrior/fast-5 type of diet.. page

FairyRae2 Guest

I've been slowly transitioning to a daily fasting period of 16-19 hours a day, and an eating window of 5-8 hours a day (similar in ways to the warrior diet or fast-5 diet, but longer on the days I eat in an 8 hour period.) I'm thinking of pushing it to a just 5 hour eating period for the long run, but am still in the transition/settling phase of this.

These past 2 days I've felt kind of tired and weak during the fasting period (morning until 2-3)--nothing terrible, but just not optimum. Lightheaded and spacey are great words to describe how I've felt. And I've felt pretty hungry by noon until the end of my fasting period. For those of you w/ experience w/ this, is this pretty typical of the transition to this kind of diet? I've read so much about high energy levels on eating window/warrior type diets, so I was surprised to feel like this. I've really just done this steadily (consecutive days) for 4 days now.

I eat a mostly paleo diet (I do eat some tubers, and peanuts on occasion, although I haven't had those this past week or so, and the last time I had anything tuberish was butternut squash last week...) My carbs are typically in the 100-150 range, although lately they've been under 100 a lot more often. (I've been eating my paleo-esque diet for a few months now, and have been gluten and dairy free for 2 years, so I know it's not the initial transition causing this. I remember the 'low carb flu' from gluten withdrawl, and it was awful--what I'm feeling now is NOTHING in comparison...)

I'm also pretty sure I'm getting enough calories (got 1500 two days ago, 2000 yesterday...it varies, but I feel like I'm totally getting enough, or more than enough.) I'm 5'9 and nursing, with a pretty intense daily vinyasa yoga practice + 2 strength training workouts a week (all bodyweight stuff) if that makes any difference...

Would love to hear your thoughts on all of this!

Also, I'd LOVE more links on the health benefits of this kind of eating. Besides the past couple of days, it's felt really good to me whenever I've IFd, and once I transition to this/get used to it and feel great doing it, it's something I think could really work for me. (I've typically been a big eater at night--used to snack all day long as well, but really prefer to eat at night--I think I could totally do this fasting during the day and eat in the evening long term, esp. if it feels good to do so...) I'd just love to be totally assured that it's really really good for me healthwise, you know?

Thanks for any info you have to share!!!

(I also posted this in the caveman forum, so sorry if you're reading this twice!! Just want to get as much info/as many perspectives as I can!!)

FairyRae2 Guest

bump

And I want to share that I'm actually feeling great today, planning to extend my fast for 19 hours (5 hour eating window) b/c I'm not too hungry and feel energized and great--had a good yoga practice this am and just feeling really good. So maybe the transition lightheadedness was a fluke, but I'm still really interested in hearing other's experiences and any info you all have to share on the health benefits of eating one meal a day or in an eating window...

Thanks again folks!!

maba is offline Senior Member

Raphael here on MDA forum eats the Warrior way and I believe he likes it and he's been able to lose weight this way. You can read this thread for more info:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Diet-any-good

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I don't think Grok worried about 8 hour vs. 5 hour eating windows. Hell, he didn't know what an hour is.

Mr B Guest

i agree

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Take a look at Leangains dot com.

More of a bodybuilder site but will have useful info for fasting in general.

Leangains is 16-8 but 15-9 for women. I don&#39;t remember why. Hormones? <duck and runs>

FairyRae2 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Cool--will absolutely check out leangains.

And the 8 vs 5 vs whatever hour doesn&#39;t matter that much to me, but I&#39;m interested in seeing if there is info/research out there specifically on IFing utilizing eating windows--not just 24 hour fasting.