Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experts say "Add vitamin D to Scotland's food" page

Befreer is offline Junior Member

Experts say "Add vitamin D to Scotland's food"

Primal Fuel
    Thought this might be of interest to some...

Add vitamin D to Scotland's food

excerpt:

International experts are calling for food in Scotland to be fortified with vitamin D, in an attempt to cut the large numbers of people who develop multiple sclerosis at sunshine-deprived northern latitudes.

MS levels in Scotland are some of the highest in the world, and many believe vitamin D deficiency, caused by lack of sunlight and poor weather which keeps people indoors, is partly to blame. For half the year, nobody living in Scotland gets enough UVB rays from the sun on their skin to make adequate amounts of vitamin D and many do not eat enough of the foods, such as oily fish, that contain it.

Professor George Ebers of the Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences at Oxford University believes the evidence is now good enough to justify dosing the entire population with vitamin D. This month his team published evidence of a genetic link between a rare inability of the body to make vitamin D and MS.

It is a piece of strong scientific evidence to back up theories based on the high numbers of people with MS in sun-deprived locations there are 10,000 with the disease in Scotland and very low numbers in countries with year-round sunshine.

"Now the question is, can we finally persuade the public health authorities that they should supplement the population?" said Ebers.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You were right!
    Thanks.
    J.

Annana is offline Senior Member
    That is interesting. I should probably start taking it again!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Interesting idea, but I don't think that the intake of the vitamin should be up to anyone but the individual. If people were made more aware about how Vitamin D can help prevent MS and improve mood throughout the darkest parts of the years etc, and supplements were available in a wide variety of locations (couldn't tell you if they are now), then people could take their health into their own hands, as they should be doing. I don't like the idea of some organization adding even more crap to food to try and control the populous.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Trackhead is offline Junior Member
    Stupid.

It's like flouride in the water. Flouride does nada for your teeth, and may harm your thyroid function.

While vitamin D hysteria is interesting and probably valid, the government needs to educate, not just blindly supplement the food source.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Stupid.

It's like flouride in the water. Flouride does nada for your teeth, and may harm your thyroid function.

While vitamin D hysteria is interesting and probably valid, the government needs to educate, not just blindly supplement the food source.
    There's no money for the government(and their constituents, I'll give you a guess, it's not us) to educate people or to nurture critical thinking. It's easier(and more profitable) to tell us what they think is best and then do.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The big problems is that they will probably use the synthetic D2 to supplement, (which has to be converted to the active D3 in the body) like they do in the US because it is cheap. D2 is not converted well to D3 by everyone, plus it tends to cause spikes followed by significant drops in your circulating D3. Better to just let people test their D3 levels and supplement up to the healthy range.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    (I lived in Scotland for 7 years.) Well, it actually does makes sense since the UK has socialized medicine and it could save the country millions of pounds in health care costs.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    (I lived in Scotland for 7 years.) Well, it actually does makes sense since the UK has socialized medicine and it could save the country millions of pounds in health care costs.
    This was gonna be my contribution.

For what it's worth, I tell literally anybody that will listen to supplement D, especially if they complain about being sick or even just "feeling down" about other things. Vit D is also the only supp I have been successful in getting my family to take, along with fish oil. Sickness in the house has gone down considerably.

I'd say, if you're not in a sunny location year-round (where presumably you soak up the rays as close to naked as you can for a decent amount of time) you're probably deficient in D.

Annana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Interesting idea, but I don't think that the intake of the vitamin should be up to anyone but the individual. If people were made more aware about how Vitamin D can help prevent MS and improve mood throughout the darkest parts of the years etc, and supplements were available in a wide variety of locations (couldn't tell you if they are now), then people could take their health into their own hands, as they should be doing. I don't like the idea of some organization adding even more crap to food to try and control the populous.
    I completely agree with you. It's bad enough that the general Scottish diet is pretty bad, without medicating as well. Unfortunately too many people aren't interested in their own health and just follow government advice like sheep. It's no wonder there is so much depression and obesity here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast