Thread: Ben's Primal Blueprint Adventure Starts Here! page

BensonElPosman is offline Junior Member

Ben's Primal Blueprint Adventure Starts Here!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,
    I'm Ben and i'm 27 and from Australia.

I have been overweight most of my life, at around 18-21 I got into great shape, went really hardcore, but something wasn't right, I ended up putting on alot of weight, I got down to 85 kg and in the last 5 years or so have gone up to 130kg. Some of it was due to trauma, but i've worked through alot of that with a technique called Matrix Reimprinting. And after several months i've got to the point where I feel I can do this now. It's basically about going back to past memories contributing to your problem and changing the memories around to change the beliefs and the learnings you got from it.

I just got the book in the mail yesterday and I started eating better a few weeks ago, but i'm now finding alot of the stuff I like that I thought was healthy maybe isn't so much. And the fruits I like the most are in the moderation category. So I have a bit of learning to do.

My main challenge is I don't like alot of foods, I hate meat and never have liked it since I choked on it as a kid, I worked on that memory, but still don't like it. Also I hate most vegetables, salad etc.. but interestingly I discovered alot of your tastes is due to past experiences, as a few months ago I cleared some memories of being forced to eat vegetables as a kid (which was one of the main reasons I hate them now, funny how your brain connects things) and I ate them for a week and thought "hmm their not so bad" then I lost the desire again, and since working on enough memories i've started another Matrix Reimprinting process about building whatever habit you want, which has remotivated and focused me to eat this stuff again, tomorrow again on xmas day is the test for eating vegetables again.

Last time a few months ago was a massive breakthrough because before then I never imagined I would eat them again, it was pretty much unheard of for me. And I plan to continue this.

Aswell as find other healthy foods that I do like and can eat. Today after reading a few chapters, I decided to try an egg which I haven't eaten since I was a kid. It was terrible, but after doing a bit of EFT (emotional freedom technique, the basis of Matrix Reimprinting.) I had the idea to put some water and protein powder with it and mix it up. It wasn't delicious, but it was 'okay' and I could stand it, where just the egg by itself I just couldn't keep eating it. And I also cut up all different fruit for breakfast in a bowl and ate that. It was funny because I automatically started my old routine (old as of now) and got my cereal out in the bowl and then realized "hey, that's not what i'm doing anymore" and put it back and got the fruit.

So I have to experiment to find healthy food I like or atleast ways to eat them where it is okay in taste. And my other challenge is how to get protein without eating meat, i'm sure it will cover that in the book.

I never really have eaten much protein, but strangely enough I put on muscle easily. If I can find a way to get it and follow this I know it will be even better.

For exercise I am doing kettlebells from a dvd by Mike Mahler, did my first workout yesterday. First about 20 minutes of joint mobility and about 10-15 minutes of kettlebells. I found out a while ago with this when I was doing them before that doing the joint mobility stuff reduced my next day soreness ALOT. The first time I did them without it and was really sore, the second time I did both and felt pretty good the next day. It makes a huge difference.

The other challenge i've had is in the last 5 years or so i've tried eating healthy every now and then, and I was even training martial arts 2x a week and doing the pit workout, and I never really lost much weight. In fact it seemed i'd put on weight eating this stuff I thought was healthy, now I know that it was because I was eating alot of wholegrain stuff which I was told is healthy.

Anyway, that's all for me now. Good to be here.

-Ben
    Last edited by BensonElPosman; 12-24-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    It is possible to be a primal vegetarian. Mark's son is one. But meat has lots of benefits. I'd keep trying to find ways you can enjoy eating it. [Disclaimer: I am more Archevore than Primal.] IMHO, traditionally soaked beans are good food and a source of protein.

I would suggest that you keep looking for different ways to enjoy veggies. There are lots. But you don't have to eat a huge amount of them.

Don't worry about what the scales say. Put them in the closet. Go by how your clothes feel. As you do primal, your lean body mass will increase. After a year and a half of eating ancestrally, I have lost about 15 pounds and lots of fat.

Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks, I will have a look at the blog soon. Just letting my egg protein shake go down a bit and then going to do kettlebells.

One thing i'm running into that may be mentioned later in the book that I haven't found yet. Is i've noticed energy drops during the day. Especially yesterday, I just got all tired and felt terrible, but then I went and made a pizza with pita bread and cheese and felt better after that (that was what I was craving) so is it because of reduced carbs? I assume when I adjust it will be okay.

Today i'm just feeling strange, kinda cloudy headed and a slight pressure on my temples, I feel it may be related. It's not going to stop me though!

-Ben

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like standard low carb "flu." From cutting carbs. Should go away in a few days if you can stay off the carbs.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist. I've been eating some grain stuff simply because of not knowing what to replace it with.

Though i've been having those energy drops, in general i'm feeling better already. In fact after a few days I cooked up a pizza from the supermarket that I used to eat all the time and I had alot of pain in my stomach and got some diahorrea. So haven't had one since. Instead pita bread with tomato paste and cheese a few times, I know it's still grain, but at the moment i'm going for improvement as i'm reading the book and making improvements as I go along. Atleast the pita bread one doesn't make me feel heavy and sick like the other pizza.

I think the just eating fruit for breakfast instead of cereal and then having a water/protein powder/2 eggs/fish oil shake is making a difference. And alot of snacking on walnuts, but I keep leaving them at friends places.

One thing I did yesterday that is something I should of learnt years ago, is during my workout I started getting pain in my lower back and had the impression if I did my one more set of kettlebell swings I would hurt myself. So I decided to listen to it and cut the workout there, which I am very happy about, I used to push through that and it wasn't a good idea. After sitting down for a while my back was okay, but if I did the other set of swings it wouldn't have been.

I'm still trying to get my head around all this stuff going against everything i've heard about 'food' when growing up. But I do understand why as Mark explains it well in the book. And the bonus is alot of the stuff I have done in my life has gone against 'conventional wisdom'. And when I have done that i've had alot of success.

My next change is vegetables for tea, and trying a little meat again, I think it is a good idea to get a little bit of different kinds to find something I like, using the book as a guide to what meat is good.

-Ben

So i'm one of these people who looks for results alot and gets stressed when i'm not sure.

I've been doing this for probably about a week, as well as 3 kettlebell sessions so far. And last night against what i've been told not to do, I got on some scales at my friends.

And since like a week or so ago it says I have put on a half a kg. WTF!? So I was pretty down yesterday.

But the uncertainty is because I feel better and I seem to feel kind of stronger already. I instantly thought "shit I put on half a kg" but then wondered if it is possible to put on half a kg of muscle in like a week? It seems alot for muscle if it is.

I do gain muscle easily, and last time I did kettlebells for only like 5 sessions my mum commented that I had put on alot of muscle on my upper body (shoulders) and i've always put it back on easily. And i've been having eggs and fish oil with protein powder and a fair few nuts. So this made me think it could be muscle maybe? If I had put on weight in the way of fat, then it wouldn't make sense I would feel better and kind of stronger.

It can't be any worse than what I was eating, like pizzas and all kinds of junkfood.

Should I be worrying here that maybe i'm doing something wrong here? I do worry a bit much at times, but the scales don't lie and they are the same scales. So thought i'd post and see what you guys say.

-Ben

PrimalCon New York
    So i've decided to order the 21 day book. I was going to get the kindle version aswell so I could start reading it now. But it won't let me in Australia apparently. Which really doesn't make sense when I can order the physical book. Which will take weeks.