Thread: Oprah and Diabetes page

sean Guest

I found a few minutes to watch Oprah the other day with her show about diabetes. Curious to see how much they discussed cutting out sugar and carbs al la Primal I watched. For a change Dr. Oz seemed to explain how much sugar damages the body and made it understandable to the regular Oprah viewer. Oprah her self even mentioned that white bread converted directly to sugar so i thought maybe they are getting it until the last segment to show food that was acceptable. They adamantly cut off the fried chicken only to have a cereal coated chicken breast on the plate, then they had cornbread and finally they had a bean salad. Oh well i guess every bit counts but talk about mixed messages...cut out all sugar and "white" carbs but still eat the whole grains.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

so confusing!!!

though you're right... if the "standard american" just cuts out sugar and "white" stuff, it would be a HUGE improvement. But if all of it is replaced by "brown/whole" grain stuff... it's not that helpful.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

It's a terrible fallacy that the grain lobbyists have committed. Set up and burn down the white bread straw man and laud the whole grain hero. Yes, fiber and nutrients are preferred to no fiber and nutrients, but whole grains are still highly glycemic and to be avoided like their white relatives.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

emmcubed Guest

I was impressed with her episode featuring Michael Pollan and Steve Els (founder of Chipotle), but then she went and had Alicia Silverstone talking up her "Kind Diet", which was all about being "nice" to yourself and eating in a way that doesn't cause harm. Then they followed her to Whole Foods to see what she bought, and she immediately bought faux chicken breasts from the freezer case.

Talk about mixed messages.

emmie is offline Senior Member

Her diabetes show seemed to make FAT more of a villain than starch; typical establishment thinking. Fat does nothing to raise blood glucose. If she wanted a medical diabetes expert, she should have had Dr. Richard Bernstein instead of the exalted Oz. Then perhaps there might have been more accurate information.

Oprah also commented, "I know we need carbs for our brains to function," and her gurus nodded agreement (she pays them). It's annoying because she has such influence on viewers, and she perpetuates these myths.

sbhar is offline Junior Member

Whole grains are better than processed grains, so whole grains are a health food,

Wine is better than vodka, so wine is a health food

Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate, so dark chocolate is a health food ....

any more leaps of logic you'd like to share?

Charentais Guest

ACK!

I caught this episode while I was at the gym and I registered here just to post in this thread.

What bugged me most were the promotions of the upcoming Oprah show about Super Bowl snacks.

In a short time span, we go from watching the diabetic and pre-diabetic church ladies getting fit, active and healthy (okay, perhaps not along Primal or Paleo guidlines) to watching clips of Christine Ferrari (a great chef!) making a pile of chips and guacamole.

Okay, certainly moderation is a key and it's okay to enjoy cheat foods, but my overall feeling was confusion.

Mixed messages up the gazoo!

And the corny group hug, shoulder-leaning, love-fest at the end with Bob Greene and Oprah was...smarmy. For some reason, that really bugged me. Like, "We love you, America, and we're going to save you from yourselves!"

/rant over.

I suppose I shouldn't expect a variety show, like Oprah's, to have a consistent message.

JulieD Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Maybe Oprah should get back to working with Dr. Phil, so he can go, "How's that workin' for ya', Oprah?" :-)