Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: primal journal - joan page 2

joan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    got hungry last night staying up late and had about 1/2 cup of pistachios and golden raisins. i don't think i'm eating enough meat, i've been hungry in the evenings more than seems reasonable. also just before meals, but that doesn't seem odd. it's the lingering evening hunger i'm worried about. gotta go buy more meat.

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    Look at you, girl! You're starting off in a much better place than probably most people who begin Primal/Paleo. You don't need to lose much at all, but going Primal will definitely help you feel better on the inside as well! Are you incorporating a workout routine or anything into your schedule?

That's so great that you have such a strong support system and people who are eating similarly to you---that'll be a great help! I read on someone else's journal about the GAPS but haven't really looked into it. Are you going to do that with them in January?

I'd also like to say that anyone that drinks/eats dandelions is a total Primal BADASS in my book.
    It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Great work posting the pic's Joan! You've got a good foundation of healthy muscle there.

Don't let yourself be hungry; when people are hungry they are far more likely to make poor food choices, or you won't be able to maintain this lifestyle. Kill a pig or something else on your property there

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Hi Joan!!! I finally logged in so I could subscribe to your Primal journal thread.

I only have two things to say to you...

1) Good job on cutting out the refined sugar!
    2) YOU ARE HAWT. But we all knew that already, haha.

Oh and 3) You are such an inspiring person... good luck on your journey <3

I'm getting back into primal eating this week too, although I already busted it by eating two peppermint oreos this morning. The Christmas sweets have got to go.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    got hungry last night staying up late and had about 1/2 cup of pistachios and golden raisins. i don't think i'm eating enough meat, i've been hungry in the evenings more than seems reasonable. also just before meals, but that doesn't seem odd. it's the lingering evening hunger i'm worried about. gotta go buy more meat.
    Follow your gut! But if you still feel hungry at night after adding more meat, you could try milk tea. Maybe something herbal (so no caff) plus either coconut milk or heavy cream. I remember when I was doing well without sugar, etc., green tea with half and half with breakfast made me feel REALLY full.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

thanks everyone!

cassanina: yeah, i'm adding workouts bit by bit as i read up - there's a lot of information here to digest and work into my routine. i think my job and visits to the land are a great foundation, and i'm excited to add specific exercises to really muscle up. not that i have a gym membership or anything (i don't even know if this town Has a gym), so i'll be doing pull ups on tree limbs and throwing barrels around, probably. heh. i tried to do some pushups just now, and my dog things they're the best game ever - she sticks her head under where my face will drop to and tries to lick/attack me. this might be tough

i don't know if i'll do gaps with them. definitely pb is already similar, and since i'll be traveling for a few days during the two weeks of soup bit, i probably will not stick to it. i think that'd be too tough to prepare for, and since consistency and followthrough are HUGE issues for me, i'd rather just stay primal until that's a solid enough foundation that i can toss in something more serious, like the gaps intro. and oh, yeah, dandelions are great! i'm glad i made tincture back in virginia, cause none of my land is 'disturbed' - i don't have any growing here! plenty of other medicinal herbs out here, though.

peacefulwarrior: thanks! yes, i do need to go buy more meat. you're totally right. being hungry is not fun. i look forward to passing the threshold where i'm eating enough good stuff that i'm not hungry at all after two meals a day.

elaine: good to see you!! thanks the milk tea sounds like a good idea. i'll keep it in mind in case this nighttime hunger keeps happening.

day 5

b: 3 egg scramble w/ spinach, chard, tomato (forgot the dandelion tincture, probably why i was yawning at work)

s: 1/2 cup? of organic cheddar

d: potato, ground pork, spinach, kind of soup thing

got a hot date tonight, so while i will probably eat a bit later, i likely won't post it til morning my dinner was filling, but an hour later and i am already feeling hungry again. i'm glad i left chicken to thaw, i'll probably cook that up and chop some nuts over it or something.

exercise: waitressed for four hours, so on my feet the whole time. did 20 reps each of the first phase of push ups and squats. my dog interfered with the push ups - she's never seen me do them before, and thought that it meant she should lick my face a lot and try to play. anyway, i'm only just now starting to look at the videos/articles/e-book on the recommended exercises, so i'll start to work those in now day by day. i also hauled a calf hut around (4x8x4 metal hut) and some massive sheets of thick osb. something got into our greenhouse this morning and took a chicken, so my housemate made them a safer coop this afternoon (hence the calf hut).

did not go out to buy meat tonight, but will go out tomorrow since it's my day off. i'm looking forward to doing laundry, walking my dog to the store, and doing a bunch of exercises to try them out and see if i need any type of setup. oh, and i want to start making sure my phone is charged so i can take franny (the dog) on long walks and catch up with friends at the same time, since i never have time alone in the house for good phone conversations.

oh, and i want to track some other stuff... like

sun: walked to and from work, so 10 minutes in sun. need more. also want to be outside for sunset more.

sleep: slept just about 8 hours last night. stayed up late reading the before/after pictures thread. it's my motivation.

stress: fine on that count. have a big to do list right now, but am amazed to find i have the clarity of mind to simply start checking things off and not feeling overwhelmed, blocked, stuck, mired. which led to significant elation, since checking things off my list meant arranging a visit to a lover that i've wanted to see for a while, making good plans for other time off from work, finding a check that i haven't cashed yet, and doing bits of information gathering here and there that will bring all sorts of good things into my life.

squatting: i used to squat to poop all the time. harder to remember on a normal toilet (have i mentioned i hate toilets?), but i'm gonna try to get back into the habit, and try to remember to restock our sawdust bucket, etc so we can keep using our composting toilet when possible.

standing: i want to figure out a standing-at-computer spot in my room, because i feel like the stuff i'm reading here right now is crucial to keep me on track, but i don't need to lie around in bed while i'm doing it. a standing workstation will be a great improvement.

barefootin it: take shoes off whenever i'm not at work. try walking the dog barefoot - if too much dangerous sharp stuff on roads, wear moccasins instead of boots.

am i forgetting anything? other general principles mark suggests that i should track?

okay, so i do have an update tonight -

after dinner snack: chicken breast, almond butter, chopped cashews

also of note: anything cooked in a skillet is cooked with olive oil, bacon grease, or coconut oil.

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joan View Post
    am i forgetting anything? other general principles mark suggests that i should track?
    Avoiding poisonous things, and using your head (or however he words it).

I think a standing spot for your computer sounds like a great idea! Wish I could do that at work but unfortunately the Army doesn't fly that way. I just get up like once an hour and stretch and walk for a minute. Oh the luxuries of a desk job...

Good luck on your hot date, girl!
    It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

HarpLady is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey Joan,
    I just noticed we're in the same state! I'm not building a house, but have been rehabbing mine for 10 years now. I love growing my own food, but still don't have chickens. I'm just not ready for the responsibility. Luckily for me in St Louis there are lots of options for getting locally raised food, and I keep finding more. A few weeks ago I was at breakfast with my boyfriend, and the guy who sat at the table next to us lives very close and raises pigs in St. Genevieve, making his own bacon and such (nitrate free). There are farmers markets cropping up all over the place here too. I'm so grateful that there are local sources for good food (including my big back yard). I'm looking forward to hearing more of your journey!
    Terri the Harp Player
    www.harpsinger.net

Wherever you go, there you are!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast