Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too skinny? page

Mick812 is offline Member

Too skinny?

Primal Fuel
    Before I started eating primally I was 6'1, 234 pounds. Almost a year later, I've lost most of my fat but I'm still losing weight and I don't want too. Weighed myself today and I'm down to 160. Ideally I'd like to be around 180, so I;m trying to put on muscle now. People are saying I'm too skinny but I think it's because I was previously always overweight.

I lift heavy weights 3 to 4 days a week, but mostly using dumbbells targeting a different part of the body everyday. I recently started doing squats and I know I need to incorporate more full body exercises like deadlifts and such. I also run 2 miles 2 times a week and sprint for the last quarter mile.

As far as my diet, I've been trying to up my fat with butter, OO, coconut oil, avocados, dark chocolate, nut butters, etc and eat plenty of meat. I've also started to eat yams after I lift but my carbs rarely are over 75 grams. I get about 125 g of protein per day. I still rarely eat more than 2000 calories a day because I'm pretty full from that.

I'm still losing weight though. I know I need to probably eat more meat and even more carbs, but grassed beef is expensive and that's my go to protein, so its hard with my budget to eat more meat. I guess I should look for some cheaper cuts.

My question is, do I need to focus more on upping my protein, eat more fat or both. And obviously I should be doing more full body lifts because I'm seeing minimal progression in my lifts.

Any suggestions or insight on the best way to put on muscle without gaining fat. I'm really lean right now and that's cool but I need to add more muscle. I do not want to lose anymore weight.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Yep.. I battled the same thing.. I started dropping weight & getting really lean, but was getting "too thin" gaunty looking & just over all thinner than I wanted to be..

Reality is, your body may be more balanced now than ever, & you're carrying your bodies "genetically" desired body weight.. I've noticed the primal diet does realign the balance your body is meant to feel & look..

However, @ 6'3" & only 160 lbs, I'm thinking you may be a little slimmer than your genetic..

Do you have very thin bones? Thin ankles, small wrist, thinner neck?

Also, did you mention how old you are?

Being able to pile up 234lbs in the 1st place leads me to think you aren't complete & totally ectomorphic.. You can put on weight if you need to.. I know you want lean muscle, not fat, but if your body can hold 234lbs, your body can probably hold some weight & bones can support it..

The key is calories.. You won't lose weight if you eat more calories than you burn.. flat out plain & simple, cut & dry.. Burn less than you take in, your going to at least stay the same & slowly gain.. Burn more than eat, you're probably going to lose weight.. No way around it.. Adding weight requires perserving some energy everyday.. (eating more calories, & burning less) Like adding bricks to a house.. Need the materials for the growth

Here's how I stopped the weight loss, & put 10-15lbs back on, while keeping my bodyfat down & staying primal..

-Lift heavy weights.. Lift to get stronger & stick to compound moves..
    -Take your time between sets.. I usually rest 3-5 minutes between sets.. remember, the goal is to get stronger & build muscle, not necessarily burn fat @ this time
    -Eat.. I eat 6 whole eggs for breakfast cooked in a lot of olive oil, whole avocado, banana, & quite a bit of yogurt.. That alone is over 1k in a meal.. I love 1lb steaks, I even take olive oil shots sometime through the day.. I think Fat is the key.. Eating a lot of those good fats is great for keeping calories up & not "puffing & bloating" your body up from all the carbohydrates.. Also, dairy.. Eat the sugar free, full fat yogurt.. Its been Great for me..
    -The Carb Refeed is a good idea, on days you lift.. I really eat whatever the hell I want.. Non-primal foods, pizza, ice cream, etc.. I eat around 20-25 meals a week.. If I eat trashy, high calorie, whatever the hell food I want in 3 of those meals, I'm not going to get fat (& its kind of a reward).. plus the extra calories assist in supporting a calorie surplus @ weeks end..
    -I personally do no cardio.. I think you're doing too much running (assuming you want to gain weight, & not lose as you said) My low carb diet leans me out.. Cardio just confuses my body.. Just my experience.. I really don't even sprint.. If I were to start sprinting or doing some cardio, I could cut my body fat in weeks to 5%, but I don't really want that look.. I currently sit around 8-9% all year & muscles stay full & rounded out (more of a masculine look & feel for the body I want).. easy to sustain also
    -I make sure I sleep really good, & nap if I'm tired.. I own my own business & don't have kids (yet), so if I feel sleep deprived, I'll knock out an hour nap or so during the day.. I HAVE to get good sleep @ night to look & feel good though, & retain muscle.. Without good sleep, your body isn't going to hold lean muscle, & digestive system won't retain nutrients..

lastly, don't be afraid to take some time off from the gym.. I personally feel most people are overtrained.. If you are radically losing weight, your body may need to rest & "calm down".. The furnace is burning too hot! (A problem most people would like to have, but you have the opposite problem)

Just my experience, & things that have helped me.. I hear where you're at though, & hope this helps..

Also, dont' worry about the people saying "you're too skinny".. Most people are "too fat".. If your body fat is relatively low, you feel healthy, & you're progressively getting stronger in the gym, you're doing the right thing..

I truly believe this primal lifestyle is good & healthy for our bodies.. It took me a year for my body to somewhat adapt & balance out.. But once you get "dialed in" & hit the sweet spot where you have complete control over your body, you'll be able to add weight, lose weight, keep the same weight, add muscle, drop some unwanted muscle (may feel too bulky), etc easily.. Its pretty cool when you get to that spot but keep doing what you're doing & you'll get there
    Last edited by abc123; 12-23-2011 at 06:48 PM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavy in the big lifts- deadlift, squat, bench, chinups/pullups, overhead press.

Alternatively, lift heavy in the big bodyweight lifts: squats, pushups, pullups, leg raises, back bridges, and handstand pushups.

I don't think there's any other healthy way to do it. Eating more to build muscle is like trying to push a rope. You need to blast your muscles very intensely, then rest and feed them lots until they rebuild, bigger and stronger. Lifting comes first.

I don't know that 4 miles a week is going to do that much, but you can try cutting the running out, but even when I do sprint workouts I tend to run at least a mile warmup.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick812 View Post
    My question is, do I need to focus more on upping my protein, eat more fat or both. And obviously I should be doing more full body lifts because I'm seeing minimal progression in my lifts.
    Health Correlator: How much dietary protein can you store in muscle? About 15 g/d if you are a gifted bodybuilder

Quote Originally Posted by Mick812 View Post
    Any suggestions or insight on the best way to put on muscle without gaining fat. I'm really lean right now and that's cool but I need to add more muscle. I do not want to lose anymore weight.
    It's not possible to "lift heavy" 3-4 times a week.
    Mike Mentzer's Underground Seminar Part - IX - YouTube
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    Health Correlator: Finding your sweet spot for muscle gain with HCE
    Setting Yourself Up to Win: A Body By Science Approach | Mark's Daily Apple

Mick812 is offline Member
    Thanks for the input guys. And for the record, I'm a 28 year-old 6'1" male. And I do lift heavy things 3-4 times per week, but not compound full body lifts. I should probably cut out the cardio since I don't need to lose anymore weight. I think I've become I little over-obsessed with my body composition since I've seen such remarkable results with the Primal way of eating (hate calling it a diet because). If I miss a day at the gym I feel guilty and tend to restrict my calories.

I guess the obvious solution is just to eat more calories, but honestly anymore than 2000 calories and I'm overly full. But I guess I can sneak in more calories through coconut and olive oils and such.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, 6'1 @160lbs is too light in my opinion, for someone who does alot of training anyway.

I'd eat more carbs, because i think that 75g p/day is simply not enough for a person training as much, and possibly cut down heavy lifting to 2 x p/wk instead, and cut out the runs.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Easy to gain weight with sweet potatoes and fruit, tougher to gain with fat in my experience. Protein seems to be a wash as far as I can tell. My body gets just enough to break even and increasing the quantity doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on adding muscle. But I eat fish mostly. Too many variables! One thing's for sure, if I eat a lot of sweet potatoes I'll add mass to my body - fat if I'm lazy, muscle if I'm not.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    There's a difference between health and aesthetics. Are you unhealthily skinny? Or are you simply anxious about how you look? My guess is it's the later.

I eat completely healthy, get exercise, and I'm fairly thin. I have no problem with it. Skinniness is only seen as a aesthetic problem in the West were you're dwarfed by the obese.
    Last edited by Bosnic; 12-24-2011 at 11:21 AM.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    There's a difference between health and aesthetics. Are you unhealthily skinny? Or are you simply anxious about how you look? My guess is it's the later.

I eat completely healthy, get exercise, and I'm fairly thin. I have no problem with it. Skinniness is only seen as a aesthetic problem in the West were you're dwarfed by the obese.
    health and appearance go together. if he looks "too skinny", it's likely he is not healthy.

a man can be thin but strong, and he will look good like this; this man, the poster, he is not healthy.

dado Guest
    strength is our natural condition. if you are too skinny, you are not very strong.

and if you are not strong, you are not healthy. this is impossible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast