Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calories/Nutrients and IFing page

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member

Calories/Nutrients and IFing

Shop Now
    So, we overspent for Christmas. Majorly. The kids are going to have a great Christmas (trampoline, hand made doll cribs, etc.), as will my in-laws and friends, but we really need to be careful with our money until the credit cards are paid down. Doing my part, I decided to cut down on the grocery bill by IFing every day. For the past few days, it's looked like this: one meal plus one snack (usually coffee with cream or a couple boiled eggs).

But, I decided to plug my food into PaleoTrack, to make sure I'm feeding myself properly. For the most part, I'm eating around 1,000 calories a day, with some days only eating 500 calories or so. My omega ratios are generally around 2:1, sometimes 3:1. I get at least 50% of my calories from fat, around 30% from protein, and 20% from carbs. It all looks good, except I'm not getting the proper amounts of vitamins and I'm a bit concerned about my calorie intake being so low.

I welcome any suggestions on ways to up my calorie intake, any kind of high calorie, cheap foods. I've got multi-vitamins that I don't currently use but I'll start taking those to get my vitamin/mineral levels a bit more up to par. Anyone have different (better?) suggestions for that?
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand people who max out their credit cards. Why buy items when you cannot afford them. I use my credit card for convenience and pay the full balance every time. I don't think I have ever paid interest on it.

re foods just get cheap, sale items whilst avoiding non-paleo. You got yourself into this mess by thinking Christmas is all about expensive gifts.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't think IF is really meant to be a way to starve yourself You need to eat more.

I would suggest eating canned whole salmon with skin and bones - it is dirt cheap, tasty and nutritious. Sardines are cheap too. Buy whole chickens or bone-in legs and thighs on special and eat those. Also ground beef and pork shoulder are usually pretty cheap on special and can be cooked up and frozen to have on hand.

Coconut milk cans can be a decent way to bump up calories and fat. If you can add in marrow bones in soup and liver you can bump up the nutrients in your diet for not much money.

Instead of starving yourself, which is not a long term viable option, could you pick up some part time work until things are paid off? Cleaning or babysitting for example?

Good luck

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, with IF you end up eating about the same amount of calories per week, just distributed differently. What you're doing is starving yourself.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    I understand that I am starving myself, thus the post. And thank you for the lecture, Sue. My cards aren't maxed, I just don't like to see them reach more than I can pay off in a month's time. Thus, I'm trying to eat less expensively and still nourish myself correctly. Thanks for being the only one with a tip to go along with your criticism, jammies.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Actually Sanctus, I'm sort of in the same spot as you, sans credit cards. Instead it's a VERY tight budget paying for school, utilities and living expenses. Christmas this year was a craft. However the result is currently the same. Not a lot of grocery shopping going on.

So, with that in mind here's what I'm doing.

Lots of eggs. Eggs are cheap. Half a dozen eggs is about 500 calories, and cost approximately $1.00. ($2/per dozen)

Tuna/canned fish. Also cheap. I did get into a bit of a fit yesterday, being completely unable to find tuna in water, THAT IS ACTUALLY IN WATER. I did find some canned mackerel for about $1.50, and it's easily 500 calories all on its own.

Meat for dinner (because I gotta have SOMETHING red.)

Even without meat for dinner, you can easily hit calorie requirements by fish & eggs, if you add plenty of fat and some good carbs.

Veggies that are super cheap right now are cabbage, yams, onions... winter squashes and pumpkins are still pretty cheap. Bananas are always cheap and are a good carb/calorie boost if you need it.

That's it off the top of my head right now...

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    How to Eat Healthy and Save Money | Mark's Daily Apple

Budget Eating Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

These are two links to Mark's posts about eating primal on a budget. I'd suggest searching this forum for 'eating primal on a budget', because this is a topic I've seen repeatedly.

I know that people have been giving you sh*t for where you choose to spend your money, but really that's your decision. Personally, I've made the decision that my health comes first, and I prioritze spending money for good quality food, but sometimes you have to make some compromises.

I keep reminding myself: Either you pay more money now for good food, or you pay more later for medications and hospitalizations. Either way, you're going to pay, the only difference is what you're going to get for your money.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 12-24-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Voyageur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Yeah, with IF you end up eating about the same amount of calories per week, just distributed differently. What you're doing is starving yourself.
    If you mean 'about the same amount of calories' as not IFing - I disagree. The biggest benefit of IFing for me is how much easier it is to keep my energy deficit/balance in check.... fat loss and maintenance are both much easier for me while intermittant fasting.

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    If you mean 'about the same amount of calories' as not IFing - I disagree. The biggest benefit of IFing for me is how much easier it is to keep my energy deficit/balance in check.... fat loss and maintenance are both much easier for me while intermittant fasting.
    Word.

Sanctus - get some super duper nutritionally dense foods and you'll be set - I IF from 7pm until 3pm the next day - yesterday I started
    off with a HUGE apple, then a HUGE banana. When I got hungry a little later, I had a big ol' sweet potato with a little butter and salt.

Then later for dinner, round 6 I had some cheap ass steak (this eye of round stuff i'm seeing in the store these days is VERY inexpensive
    and it's not chewy when we grill it! such a find!) and a ginormous pile of green beans and some russet potato.

Even though I'd only been able to eat 1000 cals, I did plug it into cronometer and I at least was at 78% of my nutritional targets.

I bet if I subbed out some of those potatoes for a pile of salad, I would have had 100%

So make good choices and eat lots of the cheap stuff, like them taters!

Good luck!

Julie

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    you know.. soups are a good way to stretch your budget too. So many rich and hardy soups and stews that use pretty cheap pieces of meat. For example, I bought beef marrow bones and am roasting them to make some rich broth for some french onion soup. They also freeze so you can rotate and have some variety.

I know about things being tight and feel for ya. My credit cards are paid off and closed the accounts so no money, is no money. Do you work on preparing for Christmas through out the year? Years past (I screwed up this year), my Christmas shopping was done and paid for by October so the hardship was not noticeable. I love catching sales through out the year.

Chin up.. this too shall pass but EAT!! It would be even more of a hardship should you get ill. IFing is good, if done correctly.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast