Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing Home Serious Questions page

Grizz is offline Banned

Nursing Home Serious Questions

Primal Fuel
    The following facts have surfaced about Nursing Homes:

1) They confiscate home & bank accounts of those who are admitted. As justification, they say they admit many people who own nothing, and cannot pay for their keep.

2) They frequently prevent the public from visiting because of "Quarantines." (Perhaps once a month.) Why do they need a quarantine? Why so many quarantines? What is going on in there?

3) My friend reports that his friend with Multiple Sclerosis is in a Nursing Home, and reports that the Nursing home has refused to give this man Vitamin D3 ! After several months of demanding vitamin D3, they finally relented and gave him 400 IU Dail which is a pitiful amount. He needs at least 5,000 IU Daily, according to Dr. Davis & Dr. Kruse. Enough Vitamin D3 to get the blood level to 70 + ng/ml.

4) My friend reports that meals are TERRIBLE. Typical dinner = baloney on white bread with a slice of cranberry sauce. I asked my friend to get a complete list of meals being provided.

I hope I am wrong, but it is my theory that Nursing Home patients are given sub-standard meals to keep their immune systems depressed, so they are more likely to suffer death from "Natural Causes" during one of their many Quarantines. Why else would they deny this MS stricken man an adequate dosage of Vitamin D3 ?

Could the Nursing Homes be a modern day Auschwitz in America? Do they promote disease & death to keep bringing in new patients in order to confiscate their homes & bank accounts. Keep that money flowing.

My friend & I are collecting the facts about this nursing home in question, and I will be reporting more later.

Does anyone have more factual information to add about Nursing Homes?

Edit: There is a wealth of information on the internet, search "Nursing Home Horrors"
    I need not look any further. Our worst fears are confirmed by this search.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-24-2011 at 06:22 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think it really depends on the nursing home, to be honest. There are good ones, but it's a really rough job and most people with the training and heart to handle it just can't for very long. They can get better pay and work environments elsewhere.

Ironically, I find hospices to be pretty great places on average. I'm not sure why they're different.

Anyway, I doubt it's as much a conspiracy as it is profit - more like bologna and bread with a slice of cranberry meets the meat, grain and fruit/veggie requirement they probably have, all while maintaining the lowest possible outlay for food. Throw on a slice of Velveeta and now you have "dairy".

Sadly, it usually comes down to money.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

sixtoesgirl is offline Member
    Grizz,
    Your concerns are valid. I used to be involved in a group called ADAPT and they agree with all you've stated. For really good information on nursing home incarcerations, go to ADAPT: Welcome to ADAPT! and find the ADAPT chapter in your state. Also, Steve Gold = Steve Gold's Nuggets is a good resource. He is affiliated with ADAPT and he is also an attorney. I would advise in trying to contact him. This is a disability rights driven group that is against warehousing people in nursing homes where they are deprived of their civil rights. Best of luck.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    They also give them tranquilizers, if they voice their opinion, are otherwise 'loud', pace around or want to leave.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I used to work for a company that did systems to keep wandering patients inside. (No moral qualms about this, as the dangers of freezing or getting hit by a vehicle are worse than locking a door.) There are vast differences in assisted living facilities and nursing homes. Some of them are pretty amazing, and some of them are amazingly terrible. It really depends on the owner, and a significant number of them are independently owned. I experienced things that felt shady, and I was just a service provider for them. I also experienced places I wouldn't mind moving into, and that was when I was less than 25 years old. The standards are pretty minimal, it's hard to find people to staff them, and there's a wide range of quality.

The state inspector was about the only thing that the homes really feared, if they were shady.

The Petrucci is offline Junior Member
    It really must depend on the nursing home. I've been working part time at one in the dietary department for over 5 years, and it's great. There have only been 2-3 quarantines to my knowledge in that entire time, which were due to disease outbreaks (usually flu) that they wanted to control.

The meals aren't that great from a Primal standpoint, in that they're usually processed/from a box, and there's plenty of grains and sugar to go around, but there's a wide variety of foods, including a fresh salad bar, and we cater to any special needs/requests.

I'm sure you could find horror stories about anything you wanted on the internet, it's hardly worthwhile condemning an entire sector of the health care industry as an Auschwitz because of them. If you have concerns about a specific home I'd recommend reporting them to their state's health department for an investigation.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Ditto to above comments. It totally depends on the owner, manager, and nursing staff. Their decisions determine what happens on a daily basis.

Mom was in one that looked grand. However, the nursing staff scared her on a daily basis. I hired a private nurse till we got her moved to an assisted living center where she was happy for the time she had left.

My friend's mom was in a privately owned very small nursing home that was heavenly. Good food, great people.

If you're looking for a place for a loved one, do lots of homework and then drop in frequently at irregular times.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure some are bad, but comparing them to a death camp is outrageous. I used to work in a place with a nutritionist. They had prettygood food, not primal... But no bologna or box lunches. And there was never a quarentine when I was there. One right before because of a tuberculosis outbreak. So don't be ridiculous, OP. It's an insult to those effected by the holocaust.
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    my 90 year old gramma tried to escape from her nursing home so many times that they kicked her out

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    There were, a number of years ago, many smaller nursing homes in Boston that were nothing more than re-purposed old Victorian's that happened to have a lot of bedrooms. I was in them daily when I carried mail and I can tell you I'd rather be dead than land up in a place like that. Think stifling heat, loud daytime TV and the smell of stale urine w/ patients obviously under heavy sedation. The deal was that the home grabbed the gov't payment on one side and squeezed on services on the other to make a profit. Back before the internet I'd be bringing stacks of checks on the 1st and 3rd of the month. Stricter regulations and rising RE values closed most of them here but I sometimes spot seemingly similar situations to this day in other states.

When you consider that you are essentially being warehoused prior to your death and the costs involved the conditions are not surprising. I plan to keep one in da chamba in case I am on a path to a nursing home, I only hope I have the strength to pull the trigger.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast