Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing too much muscle?? page

Raja is offline Junior Member

Losing too much muscle??

Hey everyone,

So I've cut down my weight in this last year from 215 (Oct. 2010) to 163 currently. I feel great and look much better than I ever have. The weight loss was mostly thru Tim Ferriss' slow carb diet until I reached 185, a mix of low carb, carb cycling and a bunch of diets until 173ish, and then in the last week down ten more pounds on the Primal Blueprint (I kid you not, 10 pounds like that!). I'm 5'8 tall and male btw.

I'm loving the weight loss and am very excited about the prospect of a Primal lifestyle transformation. But, I still look FAT (at least with my shirt off). and it's so frustrating. I'm 10 pounds from my goal weight but I only see some definition in arms. My stomach is still there, although much less than it ever was, and overall I still finding myself sucking my gut in all the time.

I've read carbs if eaten correctly will build muscle, and that low carb diets will burn fat (but also burn muscle!). I fear I've done so much low-carb this past year that a bunch of weight I've lost is muscle, and that when I get to 150 lbs I'm still going to actually look fat. HELP!

otzi Guest
    My advice to you at this point is to focus on eating healthy and lifting heavy things. Make this your New Year's resolution: "Stop weighing yourself, stop counting calories and macros, stop grabbing your belly flab with both hands just to see how much is there" and "Lift heavy things, walk a lot, and keep eating healthy foods".

See where this gets you by May. If you are worse off, sorry! If you are better off, tell Mark Sisson, "THANKS!"

mando is offline Junior Member
    amen to otzi's advice. if you continue eating primal you are not going to lose anymore muscle. lift heavy things occasionally, like once or twice a week, but not too often. your muscles need time to recover. eat lots of fat, too. this book might help calm your fears if PB did not already. cheers

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    But, I still look FAT (at least with my shirt off). and it's so frustrating.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. I'm 6'2", down several dozen pounds with several dozen pounds still to go, and there is already definition happening in arms and legs. I don't want to exaggerate - we're not talking Adonis here - but it is definitely noticeable that I'm both slimming AND getting stronger.

But I do exercise, too. Until this past week, it's been all bodyweight stuff. Started with the 100 pushup challenge (I couldn't even do 5 at the start) and now working on the 20 pullup challenge (I couldn't even hang at the start, up to 2 "and a half" now). And added in 10-20km a week of walking (mostly work->home, ie, "functional"). Now I've picked up a cheap-cheap set of free weights and will experiment with squats, deadlifts and overhead lifts.

But really, my goal is to be able to knock out 20 pullups ASAP. Which will be a challenge due to my height - taller guys have a lot further to travel!
    Last edited by DeeDub; 12-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.

otzi Guest
    I'd be willing to bet that by the time you can do 20 pullups, 20 chinups, 20 dips, and 20 weighted squats you won't be asking about your jelly-belly anymore! These things take time!

Take some time to examine your diet: Are you sneaking in fast food, junk food, fried food, candy, sports drinks?

Raja is offline Junior Member
    Well for workouts, I've started the PB Fitness plan...pretty excited to work my way up. It was humbling to do the self assessment, since I had always lifted before (even doing compound exercises) but never really progressed far. It makes sense to start at the bottom and fix the real deficiencies before lifting heavier. for example, I could do 20 pushups, but I never felt a burn from them and never felt I was getting stronger except for a few reps here and there...but working through 50 knee pushups KICKED MY ASS.

I honestly eat pretty healthy and cook all meals at home to bring in to work. I may eat lunch out once in a while but it's generally Chipotle salads, regular salads, or chicken and vegetables. I drink only water, tea, and a cup of coffee a day. I do slack sometimes on a weekend day eating unhealthy foods but it's still low carb (I may eat 5/6 chicken nuggets, green beans, b/c I don't feel like cooking). And I had like one Hershey kiss the other night, so shoot me...that was the first 'slip' all week. Overall very healthy and definitely within the "strive for 100% diet compliance, get to about 80%" belief that Mark mention's.

I do feel two big weekends causing some trouble for me, but I plan to write off Christmas/new years as a carb-up weekend to stimulate the metabolism...but besides those i'm planning on Primal as much as possible.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'9" 185. I have a big slabs of muscle on my frame, but I also have a little pudginess over my gut. A little. I'm not sure if that's really so terrible. I think people (not necessarily saying this about you; I like the way I look but maybe your body comp is actually off) obsess so much about having a six pack and all that.

Anyway, my big suggestions is for you to go squat and deadlift some stupidly heavy weight until your 163 turns into a muscular 170. Also do some shoulder presses. Big broad shoulders have this incredible way of making your belly look smaller.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Just work your ass off to build muscle now.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    just eating low carb wont build muscle. if done correctly youll have a much better shot at losing just fat and keeping the muscle you already have but in order to build muscle you have to do resistance training which will tear muscle fibers, rest after this exercise is when the muscles get repaired and grow
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    I've read carbs if eaten correctly will build muscle, and that low carb diets will burn fat (but also burn muscle!). I fear I've done so much low-carb this past year that a bunch of weight I've lost is muscle, and that when I get to 150 lbs I'm still going to actually look fat. HELP!
    Not sure what carbs have to do with protein synthesis...
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
    Setting Yourself Up to Win: A Body By Science Approach | Mark's Daily Apple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast