Thread: Taqueria food page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Taqueria food

Primal Fuel
    Yes, I'm a white lady. I live near a lot of really good taquerias. I always get the stuff I recognize, chicken, pork, beef or goat. I know enough Spanish to know what sessos, lengua and cabeza is. But I have never had it. Has anyone had it? Is it good? What animal is the sessos and cabeza usually? If they ask me, what part of the cabeza would be a safe first try for the squeamish, if they actually ask me? I think I'm not ready for ojos. Any tips for authentic taqueria food?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow~ how interesting! I've lived in the PHX area for over 40 years and have never heard of these things ~ So I googled! Lengua is probably cow tongue~ made it once, it was okay~ probably be better with some spice or a decent recipe~ I'm thinking cabeza is roasted head~ probably calf/cow but could be goat~ I would guess served whole~ otherwise, why differentiate with seso (brains)?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabeza

Cabeza, sometimes cabeša, is a Spanish word meaning "head". In Mexican cuisine, it is used to describe the meat from a roasted head of a cow, served as a taco or burrito filling.[1]

Typically, the whole head will sit on a steamer or grill, and customers may ask for particular parts of the head meats they favor, such as ojo (eye), oreja (ear), cachete (cheek), lengua (tongue), or labios (lips).
    Last edited by Nady; 12-23-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Tacos de lengua -- yum! No ick factor at all, start there. You will love them.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    Tacos de lengua -- yum! No ick factor at all, start there. You will love them.
    +1 - Lengua is one of my favorite taco fillings

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    I am mexican, all the items you mentioned are usually from cow. I have never been to fond of trying any of them though, but my brother LOVES tacos de lengua and his second favorite are tacos de cabeza, so I guess I would recommend start with those. Good luck!

Ande is offline Senior Member
    My bf is Mexican and I have spent lots of times at Taquerias trying the food.
    If you have not already, try al pastor, it is pork, and it is delicious.

donnal is offline Member
    Oh I can speak with authority on this one! I lived in the interior of Mexico for many years. Lengua, yes, delicious, tender, flavorful, and you won't know what it is. Cabeza, they won't ask you what part you want. Usually most of the meat is from the cheek. Traditionally the whole head is wrapped, put on coals, and buried and cooked all night, to barbacoa. It is fatty and delicious. Sesos, these are good but have a funny texture that a lot of people wouldn't care for. But put enough salsa on something, and it's good, is my motto. Mollejas (sweetbreads) cooked on the grill are surprisingly delicious too. Afterwards they are chopped up small with some lime squeezed on them. The ojos are not as awful as you would think but I wouldn't bother with them, unless you want to brag that you ate ojos. Good luck!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mollejas, hmm. I have not noticed that one. Maybe one of these days I'll get up the courage to try one of everything. Thanks for the tips. I remember seeing tongue in the store when I was a kid. They used to have way more organ meats in the store. There was always tripe and often an entire pig's head. The tongues always grossed me out the most. But I'm game. Hopefully they got all the green cow slime off and it's not tasting me back.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs