Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do Italians go primal? page 4

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Cori, that may be true - I don't know since I don't know most Italian-Americans; I only know the ones in my social sphere. What is offensive is the idea that Italian-Americans are a bunch of dolts who think Olive Garden is Italian food. I've never been in one.

Some other things that aren't true of most or all Italian-Americans:

-We have more than two career paths; it's not just crime or throwing pizzas.
    -We don't braid the bride's armpit hair at her wedding.
    -We don't have mustaches (well some of the men might).
    -If we were considered people of color, it would be socially unacceptable for people to make sweeping generalizations about us.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My husband is Sicilian American. 3rd gen. There were genuine Mafia from NYC at his grandfather's funeral. His grandfather moved to the country in upstate NY to get outside the family and be an honest American. And that's what this branch of the family is. Honest Italian/Sicilian Americans.

There are however significant differences in Italian American cuisine and Italian or Sicilian cuisine no matter how you slice it... and that's not me saying Italian American's are "dolt's who eat at Olive Garden" in any way. Just that there are major differences.
    Italian American food is more reliant on pasta and bread products, and less reliant on variety and fresh foods. There is not the wide variety of regional differences either. Where as you can go into just about any generic "Italian" restaurant in America and order the same things off the menu unless it's a really specialty place that does genuine regional Italian foods, you do not get that in Italy... menus will be different there reflecting the local culture.

My husband, Sicilian American himself and having spent a good amount of time in Italy has expressed this same sentiment... and we have discussed it with his mother during dinners with her and she agrees... Being 100% second generation Sicilian American I think her opinion is pretty valid.

Saying there are differences is not insulting. It's just saying there are differences.
    You wouldn't say that American hot dogs are exactly the same thing as the German Weiners they were based on would you? I certainly hope not...
    Last edited by cori93437; 06-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Italian-American cuisine mostly based around food from Campania and other southern regions where most Italian immigrants left from. But it was adapted to American ingredients. Lidia Bastianich explains a lot of this in her cooking shows.

Thinking of The Sopranos today, there was a great episode where they went to Italy and a scene that deals with the difference in food:

http://youtu.be/NV6w2gfLDZ8

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Italian-American cuisine mostly based around food from Campania and other southern regions where most Italian immigrants left from. But it was adapted to American ingredients. Lidia Bastianich explains a lot of this in her cooking shows.

Thinking of The Sopranos today, there was a great episode where they went to Italy and a scene that deals with the difference in food:

Paulie Macaroni and Gravy - YouTube
    Also, one of the reasons that my mother-in-law explained to me was the reason that Italian American food became so flour/pasta/bread centric was that the Italians who were immigrating to America were mostly doing so under dire conditions. They were poor. They left their home country poor and arrived here poor. Thus adapting to America immediately took a turn towards foods that were as affordable as possible to bulk the diet.

My mother-in-laws parents were both brought here as small children by their parents. But they already had family here from previous immigration so it was a somewhat smoother transition, but they were not well off. Still, they were set on "being American" and raised their children speaking English immediately. Italian was only allowed to be spoken in private inside their homes, and Americanized foods were adopted.

Some things were done the old way in a "different but similar" fashion. The sardines of home were replaced with the seasonal smelt runs for small fishes.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I traveled all over Italy for a semester and I found it no problem at all to avoid wheat.

I spent a lot of time eating prosciutto, very cheap sheep milk cheese, arugula, and rice in my northern Italy stay. Went totally crazy on tomatoes and mushrooms in central Italy. Went super crazy on seafood on the coasts, including southern Italy. My most memorable meal was a typical rabbit dish in Rome in a hole in the wall restaurant. I love how everything was doused in olive oil, which made things tasty (I even worked on an olive farm, where I totally pigged out on rice and olive oil alone...) Also had too much gelato, but that's another category...

Also, espresso was half my food anyway. How in the heck is that not primal?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    So anyone have any advice on Italian food that's primal? Recipes et al?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234