Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do Italians go primal? page 3

tplank is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think this has absolutely nothing to do with Italians. I've shared the no grain concept with at least a score of people at this point and there is absolutely no willingness to even consider it. Not even for a four week trial. The guy who they witnessed lose 100 pounds can not possibly have a clue, yet without exception every one of them is still fat.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday we had a catered meal from a local Italian restaurant. One of the choices was grilled chicken breasts with zucchini, cherry tomatoes and spinach. Very good. I ate that, but I also had a piece of tomato pie. The homemade sauce on that bread is to die for, and I wanted to eat it.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    all cooked in olive oil (which turns rancid when heated)
    LOL! Do you really believe olive oil turns rancid when heated? Olive oil will turn rancid when sitting in a clear glass container exposed to air sitting on a windowsill for months. Extra virgin olive oil stored in an opaque container in a cabinet at room temperature is NOT going to oxidize in a frying pan. In the studies I read concerning olive oil, it took an entire 24 hours for pure olive oil to begin to break down in a deep fryer at a constant 350-375 degrees. Do you really think extra virgin olive oil is going to go rancid from 10 minutes in a frying pan? That thought is absolutely ridiculous. And if you infuse it with herbs, the antioxidant protection goes through the roof. Stick some rosemary in an opaque, glass, airtight bottle, fill it with olive oil and let it sit in a cabinet for a week. The resistance to heat and light skyrockets even further.

and lots of tomatos (nightshade family).
    Good. Tomatoes are loaded with antioxidants, lycopene, eating them protects your skin from UV rays and the low fiber content makes them easily digestible, yet they still have a minimal GI response. The number of people affected poorly by tomatoes (or nightshades in general) are barely a blip on the radar. I have a tougher time with kale than tomatoes.

The mediterranian diet as advertised in america and central europe (not italy, spain or east coast of france) is actually very toxic and unhealthy and will eventually lead to several health problems later in life.
    Why?

My sister (who lives in germany and followed the so called mediterranian diet for the past 20 years) is fat, lost most of her hair, has brittle teeth, aching joints with arthritis, cartilage completely broken down, lower back aches, lump in breast, swollen thyroid, allergies out the yinyang and is pre-diabetic.
    My cousin's step-father's best friend from Japan got sick and died from a diet consisting of salmon, beef and eggs. I wrote it on the internet, so it must be true.

Just eat PRIMAL and instead of eating a lot of red meat, just eat a lot of fish and a ton of salads...and that would be your italian cuisine.
    With that, you could make your cheat a slice of multi-grain bread once a week (no wheat) and baked with butter, not oil.
    With your views on olive oil and tomatoes, I have little faith in the integrity of this post.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-30-2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Every culture developed a special relationship with some grain or another. That's how they come to prominence in the world, by finding a food source to feed their growing population to suppress the rivals. I come from a country that greets VIP's with an offering of rye bread and salt. At first it's odd to avoid specific foods, then it becomes natural. Grains are actually a super-easy avoidance, because they are really devoid of flavor.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

thomas is offline Junior Member
    Thought I would bump this one because of the Tony Soprano reference about halfway in. Sad to hear about James Gandolfini passing.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That is sad - he was only 51.

I've amazingly not missed pizza as much as I thought I would. I used to order one a week - not chain pizza!

I've found that almost anything I used to serve over pasta, I can serve over rice. Maybe that's just me. Except for lasagna or baked ziti, both of which I think of as holiday meals, we didn't really eat a lot of pasta, and going back, my grandmother didn't really cook much pasta at all. I did have to learn to rethink meatballs, eggplant, chicken cacciatore, etc., because I was taught all those dishes with bread crumbs as an ingredient. As a note, Dad did like pasta "fazool," but we kids didn't like it so he made that special for himself.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

sauerKraut is offline Member
    lol italians (in Italy) don't eat nearly as much pasta/pizza as you'd think. Pasta is mostly served in small quantities, before the main meal. They certainly don't eat pizza every day, and when they do, it looks nothing like those 5cm thick pizzas I used to eat in Chicago. So yeah, even though they do eat grains, they're not as processed and they certainly are not the only thing they eat. Now, if you're a student, that's a whole different story....nothing cheaper than pasta+sauce ...

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I think the real "Mediterranean Diet" that is healthy is more like the Greek islands cuisine.…lots of greens and fish etc.…not unlimited pasta and breadsticks at the Olive Garden. As others mentioned, in Italy pasta is a smaller separate course -not a huge plate in front of you. Also, there's lots of walking in European cities. I always think I will gain weight when visiting (and indulging) but it never happens.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    So either one is a "real" Italian living in Italy, or a "fake" one, eating at Olive Garden.

Good to know that stereotypes abound. If ignorance is bliss, there sure must be a lot of blissful people around.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The truth is Italian AMERICANS don't really eat that much Italian food.
    They eat a lot of Italian American bastard foods that are pasta heavy and fresh food poor... kind of the opposite of actual Italians.

How about some Risotto. Very Italian.
    How about some gnocchi... the potato or potato and ricotta types are easily made gluten free.
    Lots of fresh veg, herbs, EVOO, fishes/sea food, cheeses, meat, and some fruit.
    Italian and Sicilian food is great and very Primal friendly.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast