Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do Italians go primal? page 2

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Italians eat a lot of seafood because they live on a skinny piece of land.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    My sisters idea of 'italian' food and mediterranian diet was lots of whole grains (bagels, breads, pizza, lasagne and spaghetti) all cooked in olive oil (which turns rancid when heated) and lots of tomatos (nightshade family).

The mediterranian diet as advertised in america and central europe (not italy, spain or east coast of france) is actually very toxic and unhealthy and will eventually lead to several health problems later in life.
    My sister (who lives in germany and followed the so called mediterranian diet for the past 20 years) is fat, lost most of her hair, has brittle teeth, aching joints with arthritis, cartilage completely broken down, lower back aches, lump in breast, swollen thyroid, allergies out the yinyang and is pre-diabetic.

Just eat PRIMAL and instead of eating a lot of red meat, just eat a lot of fish and a ton of salads...and that would be your italian cuisine.
    With that, you could make your cheat a slice of multi-grain bread once a week (no wheat) and baked with butter, not oil.

MissChriss is offline Senior Member
    Most Italians don't go as wild on the pasta and bread as you think.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I rented a room from an older, very healthy italian woman for a few months. Her dinner almost every single night was fresh fish or meat with sauteed veggies, a salad, and a small glass of red wine. She had beans a few times a week, but always soaked them over night and then slow cooked them all day. I almost never saw her eat pasta and she made homemade desserts once or twice a month.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    It turns out that Italy actually has the highest rate's of Celiac's diagnosis in Europe too.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    In Italy all children are tested for Celiac's and there is quite a bit of gluten free stuff sold.

I started eating primal while living in Italy and I found it quite easy. You can buy bones and organs in the local supermarkets and there is always fresh fish and vegetables available. Ice creams and cakes are a treat (once a week).

The interesting thing is that in Italy, those in the South are shorter then those n the north and I would consider that to be due to the agriculture.

They do not eat much bread and do so to soak up delicious fats. Also food portions are much smaller.
    Life. Be in it.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when I've been in Italy finding GF food was pretty easy. They eat lots of cheeses, fresh veggies, fish and meat. Pasta is a side dish there. Find an Italian deli and load up on ham, sausages, meats, olives and salads. You don't need much else.

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I visited Italy several years ago. Italians here in the US eat way differently than Italians in Italy. When we were there we at a lot of salad, a reasonable amount of meat, and actually very little pasta/flour. Tons of fresh food at every meal. It was wonderful.
    Yep, this.
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Beasley is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Seriously do a google image search on "northern italian cuisine" then do one on "southern italian cuisine". It appears to me there is slightly more pasta and pizza for southern italian cuisine than northern. So if you are Italian, drop the pasta and pizza, get some good northern Italian recipes and stick to that. Italian-American isn't the same as Italian.
    Comes down to the differences in 'space,' so to speak; Southern Italy isn't renowned for rolling fields that can be used for pasture, and space is a commodity - it's really not a big country. The north is the polar opposite, with more space, and, along with a different history, a taste for meats, especially beef, and dairy etc.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, of course I have to add my two cents anytime I see people talking about Italians and Italy, since my husband is from Italy (he just moved to the U.S. a year and a half ago) and we spend a lot of time comparing eating and food in various parts of Italy to the U.S. He and I are both paleo, but he is less strict than I am.

Traditionally, pasta was only eaten in the south. Rice (risotto) and corn (polenta) were strictly northern foods. Depending on how strict you want to be, these carb dishes can easily be avoided. In the north, they are into horse meat, which is SUPER lean, pork, and beef. In the south, they are big into fish. In the north, lots of cheese and dairy and in the south, lots of olive oil (we don't use any dairy, instead we use almond/coconut milk and we use olive oil). In the south there's lot more veggies, which we use a lot of, also. Add in some fruit, which is available countrywide, and you're paleo/primal. I don't think it's more difficult to be healthy in Italy - the gorging yourself on a pound of pasta drenched in half a ton of cheese is more of an American thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast