Thread: After reading Primal recipes page

PrimalJenn is offline Member

After reading Primal recipes

Shop Now
    So I did Primal a few months ago, a 90/10 version and saw very good results. Of course I fell off but always kept checking the board and blogs and being involved everyday. I am not 100% back in yet. I have decided to do the Whole30 starting Jan 1st. My problem is there are a bunch of Primal friendly foods that I just don't like. Coconut is one. I keep trying it in different ways but I just cant do it. It seems like such a big part of paleo so I'm nervous that if I eliminate it totally I wont ever be a true Grok. I know its simple to say "just don't eat the crap you don't like" but I feel like there's a bunch I don't like. Besides coconut, I don't care for fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil, organ meat, dark meat, veal, game meat, most fish (except for swordfish, haddock, tilapia, cod), kefir....can I make this Paleo thing work long term?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I don't really like any of those things either. You can certainly make primal work without eating that stuff. Eat lean cuts of meat if that is what you like. Don't force yourself to eat things you don't just because you want to be more primal.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You sound like you are trying to make excuses for failing before you even start.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    First, your taste will change. I'm not saying you're going to want coconut anything ever, but your taste will definitely change as long as you avoid sugary stuff and grains.

So don't try to make yourselfeat anything you don't want, but don't eat the foods you're not supposed to either. Then, after a couple of months have gone by, try just a tiny bit of the foods you didn't really like and see if your opinion has changed.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    None of those things are essential. I don't eat "variety" meats so I take liver tablets and put plain gelatin in stuff. I also eat pork rinds but I have to dip them in something strong like salsa. You do need some saturated fat but it can be butter or other dairy if you tolerate them.

You can even be a vegetarian and still be primal, like Mark's son. Don't get hung up. I eat more Archevore and do fine.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I just had bone marrow with lemon and garlic for dinner along with oven roasted turnip fries. It was delicious and I feel soooo happy

I'm not gloating....really. A year and a half ago I would have died before I ate bone marrow or turnips. Even months after starting primal, the taste of marrow made me gag. Now I love it and look forward to eating it. You will be amazed what will happen to your tastes over time.

For now, just commit to eating no grains, HFCS, or crappy oils. Forget about what you "should" like or some ideal version of paleo eating. I hated coconut for a long time. I finally found one brand of coconut milk I like - but even with that I have it less than once a month. Coconut it not required.

Use flavorless fats to add fat to your food if you prefer lean meats. Butter, ghee, lard, flavorless coconut oil.

There is an expression around here "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good". Clean eating with get you much closer to fantastic health - no matter how you do it

Claraflo is offline Member
    I dont like a lot of primal things. I hate coconut oil actually amd only use it in cooking in things where I wont taste it. I do not and will not ever eat offal or heads. Too bad so sad. But there are enough things which I do like to make it work. I eat very little seafood and a surprisingly narrow range of meats. I havent keeled over yet. Primal does have a way of changing your tastes though. Ten years ago I would have eaten bread and fruit for every meal and not much of anything else. Most people eat a narrow band of favoured foods anyway. So what does it matter if you do that primal or otherwise?

The essence of primal is to just consume fresh, whole foods which are in season. Is it that hard really?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Coconut is one. I keep trying it in different ways but I just cant do it. It seems like such a big part of paleo so I'm nervous that if I eliminate it totally I wont ever be a true Grok.

What's funny is that paleolithic humans probably wouldn't have eaten coconut. There just isn't that much of it growing on the African Savannah. There's none growing where I live in Southern California, either. The Chumash certainly didn't eat it. They ate acorns and shellfish mostly, but a lot of other things nobody eats anymore, too.

Besides coconut, I don't care for fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil, organ meat, dark meat, veal, game meat, most fish (except for swordfish, haddock, tilapia, cod), kefir....can I make this Paleo thing work long term?

So you like at least 4 kinds of fish. Sounds like you like lean meat and white meat poultry. Do you like butter or olive oil? Do you like any vegetables? If all you ate were these things we'd issue a Grok card and let you into the club as a full-fledged member.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If all you ate were these things we'd issue a Grok card and let you into the club as a full-fledged member.
    shuffles feet

I never got a card.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

PrimalJenn is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone. I have noticed that my tastes have changed since going Primal and like you said they may change more. I never liked Brussel sprouts but now love them. I always used fake coffee creamer in my coffee but now its really too sweet so I use So Delicious Coconut creamer (french vanilla). This weekend I finally saved the bacon grease and used it the next day to cook my eggs. Its good to know that I dont have to be perfect and dive right into to everything. I got my first Lodge 12inch pre seasoned cast iron pan this holiday and now I'm surfing the forums for recipes! Heres to a very Primal 2012.