Thread: Which are the benefits of Olive oil page

Flower is offline Member

Which are the benefits of Olive oil

Shop Now
    Now, Ia m using olive oil in my diet, may i know its benefits. I selected this oil for cooking because it is cheap comparatively.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    There is more research showing benefits of olive oil than any other oil on the planet. If you are going by what the scientific literature says (which you always should...because if you aren't basing your judgment on scientific literature, then what exactly are you basing off of?) then it is likely to be the healthiest oil. If you are cooking with it you should use regular olive oil as opposed to extra virgin and don't cook at a high heat. It has been shown to be great for heart health and it is likely to be one of the main reasons that the mediteranean diet has been shown to be so good for heart health.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    For shallow frying vegetables and fish I regularly use butter and extra virgin olive oil 50:50. Would you still recommend I switch to regular olive oil? What difference does it make combining it with butter?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    It all comes down to the smoke point. If your oil hits the smoke point, it breaks down and any health benefits of the oil is diminished and it arguably becomes unhealthy. Here is a list of smoke points of different oils:

Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trent is offline Junior Member
    Hi dear,

Olive oil is very effective for the health.
    It is good oil for the fat burning and weight losing.
    It also play an important role in removing the muscles, bones, and joint pain.
    It also solve the sexual problems of the males.
    Last edited by Trent; 12-31-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Jerrod Witt is offline Junior Member
    Extra virgin olive oil comes from the first press only and is the highest quality olive oil with perfect flavour, aroma and balanced acidity. This olive oil is less processed than Virgin olive oil and is delicate in flavour. It is perfect for salad dressings, marinades and for dipping bread.

Thanks in advance,
    Jerrod
    Last edited by Jerrod Witt; 05-11-2012 at 03:49 AM.

ToldUzo is online now Senior Member
    I am wondering if it's unnatural to eat a lot of processed plant oil (like olive oil)? Wouldn't it be better to just eat whole olives instead?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    It's good fat and it pairs well with a lot of food. But mostly it's just a really good fat. We like fat.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    It all comes down to the smoke point. If your oil hits the smoke point, it breaks down and any health benefits of the oil is diminished and it arguably becomes unhealthy. Here is a list of smoke points of different oils:

Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Isn't some oil, especially veg oil, heated to a high temp during processing before it is even bottled? Does it even matter what you heat it to when cooking due to this? The damage is already done?