Thread: Coconut flour page

jacmac is offline Senior Member

Coconut flour

Primal Fuel
    Hi I was so happy today to buy some coconut flour. I have made coconut pancakes already! Sadly I have had a bit of an upset tummy since. Has anyone else experienced this ? Is this common and is it possible that I will not always react this way (I so wanted to make the rosemary bread).
    Any help appreciated
    Jackie

sixtoesgirl is offline Member
    May I ask what you put on the pancakes?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have trouble eating a lot of coconut flour. Perhaps too much fiber.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    I made a "Paleo" biscuits and gravy breakfast last week and suffered bad. It had coconut flour and almond flour. I seem to be ok with other coconut products. I put powdered coconut milk in my coffee and some days have up to two tbs of coconut oil.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I recommend potato starch or tapioca starch as a thickener. It's completely benign and it works far better than almond meal or coconut flour. Almond meal's junk for your health, anyway. Potato and tapioca starch is far cleaner.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE coconut flour - it is keeping me spot on during the holidays for sure
    I make pancakes too, about once every two weeks or so... I wonder if it is the fiber that affected you? I would give it another go either with pancakes or maybe a small batch of muffins? (blueberry coconut muffins are simply SMASHING!)

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    I've only had it 4-5 times, and no problems. Though I can handle most foods without immediate issues. I liked 'em, not as much as real pancakes but those are no-go.....

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I think a decent number of people find themselves with an upset stomach in response to a heavy dose of coconut product. I had it for a bit, but my body seems to have gotten used to it. I wonder if it's the heavy dose of medium chain triglycerides or some other coconut specific compound. At the rate I suck down veggies, I don't think it's the fiber.

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks everyone for your responses. I will try again perhaps with a smaller quantity and on a day when I am at home (just in case).