Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting off the sugar HELP! page

Livnfree is offline Junior Member

Getting off the sugar HELP!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, this is my first thread..ever lol

I now that Primal does not recommend running, but I do enjoy it quite a bit. However, it seems that I eat Primal for about 3/4 days and then I can't stop craving/eating chocolate for 2 days. Just pure binging it seems lol. I am gluten/dairy intolerant...and love how clean/healthy I feel without sugar garbage.

But how do I work past this? Is there something I am missing in my diet? I usually eat lots of meats, veggies, avocados (1 a day), trail mix, almond butter, or coconut butter to stir fry veggies.

Hope that makes sense. I want to be able to work out, but not always have crazy uncontrollable sugar cravings.

Any advice is appreciated
    Give all of yourself, expect nothing in return, you cannot fail.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any advice rooted in science or medicine, but as far as habit breaking goes, I had a similar situation when I tried to give up soda. I would go a couple of days without drinking any at all, then I would succumb to cravings and have maybe 3 cans of soda in a day. I think for some things you have to wean yourself off them. In my case, if I felt cravings I would have a soda, but try to limit myself to 1. Then I would set small goals for myself, like trying to go through an entire week without soda. Eventually I stopped drinking soda completely for about 4 weeks, though I do still occasionally drink some (and I've been particularly bad this past week...).

After having soda again after a couple of weeks, it really didn't taste as good. I think it was a sign that my body had curbed its sugar cravings at least a decent amount. I think a similar approach could work with your cravings of chocolate. Another possibility, which I personally don't know too much about, is perhaps a switch to dark chocolate?

mobettabody is offline Member
    Go Cold Turkey.

Get it out of the house and don't touch it for three weeks.

Sugar is more addictive than heroin.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I went cold turkey to get rid of my sugar addiction--including all artificial sweeteners. Anything sweet is a 'trigger' for me to overeat.

However, I love chocolate and have satisfied my desire with baking chocolate--pure chocolate, no sugar--or cocoa.

With unsweetened cocoa, I often make myself a 'brownie' with 2t of cocoa, some cinnamon, a dash of brewed coffee (if available) and one egg (or 1/3 cup egg whites). I microwave this in a soup mug for about 2 min.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    What about replacing sugar and whatever it came in with fruit, like a banana or sweet apple?

That has helped my husband a lot, he's a sugar maniac. And it's also what I do when I get cravings for sweets. I don't care if the apple I ate had 50 carbs...what I care about is that whatever I chose to eat at the time isn't loaded with toxins and causes unrepairable cell damage, like MSG.
    So what if I gain 5 lbs, I know it'll come back off the days I eat less and have no appetite.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you're eating big, satisfying, high-fat, low-carb meals -- and keep your runs shorter than 45 minutes. Anything longer than that will deplete glycogen stores and could trigger a desire for carbs. I've certainly noticed a delayed reaction between a running regimen and incredible food cravings myself, but I've never really tried running while eating primal, so that could have been a CW artifact.

When I was doing really well on primal, I noticed that I only got carb cravings when I hadn't eaten enough that day. You'll know you're past the addiction part when you might want chocolate as a snack because you're hungry, but it's not that difficult to just decide to eat something else instead (hardboiled eggs, sardines, beef jerky, whatever) and after you've eaten you don't really think about the chocolate anymore.

I would be conservative about replacing chocolate with fruit. Fruit is certainly more nutritious and a good addition to your diet, but it's still mostly fructose... you could do better.

It might take a few weeks to start getting over it but hang in there, it's worth it. I can't wait to get back off all that crap after Christmas, ugh.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate . . . for adults only | The Heart Scan Blog

It actually tastes pretty decent. I ditched most of the nuts though. Pretty primal friendly, except for those that have a problem with fake sweeteners. For the most part I don't, but it kind of depends on how "good" I'm trying to be.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobettabody View Post
    Go Cold Turkey.

+1 to getting it out of the house. Primalizing your pantry is a great step. If it's not in the house you're less likely to use it.

Claraflo is offline Member
    I was a chocholic until I started eating animal fats. Not avocado, coconut oil or anything else, but animal fat. On the side of steaks, roasts, bacon, chicken skin etc. Turns out it wasnt the sugar I was after it was the deep, saturated fats my body was trying to fill. For some reason, and this is just my personal experience, the 'good fats' like fish oil, olive oil and nuts just dont fill that hole for me. Not all fats are the same and I find avocados for instance dont do a thing for me, same with oily fish.

For me, half the battle was discovering my own body's peculiarities. We are all different and thats why prescriptive diets often dont work for a large number of people. Use primal as a starting point but also realise that you might have to make allowances for your own unique genome as well. There could very well be a nutrient within cacoa that your bodyis trying to get, pay attention to that too. Try using cacoa powder blended with an avocado to see if that gives you the same fix.

Coffee is the one thing Ive not been able to take out of my diet. At first I thought addiction! But then, all I ever need is a single cup a day. Beyond that I have no desire for it. It gives me a sense of calm and wellbeing in the morning that I get from no other food. Not having it leaves me irritable and unsatisfied. I've come to the conclusion that coffee may be a nutritional need rather than an addiction. Since it does me no harm, I stick with it.

mamacaz is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mobettabody View Post
    Go Cold Turkey.

Wise words. And also agree on the fat count - try eating a little more animal fat and see what happens. Also chocolate has a goodly amount of magnesium - make sure you're eating plenty of dark leafy greens. Try briefly sautéing some kale in your bacon grease then add a dash of water to steam and devour with your bacon and eggs.

I kill (should be past tense, theyre gone now) cravings with a spoon of coconut oil or a Japanese salty plum. Or do something to take your mind off the desire. Treat this like an addiction (eg smoking) and you will win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast