Thread: Bikram Yoga and Ketosis! page

sirmikeywest is offline Junior Member

Bikram Yoga and Ketosis!

Hey, all. New to the forums.

I went Primal for about a month this last Spring. Slipped up and got back on track almost 2 months ago. I've been doing "regular" yoga for a little over a year, but just started doing Bikram a little over a week ago.

Earlier tonight, I went to my 3rd Bikram class. For the first 5-10 minutes after class, I felt sort of dizzy, but that's normal when you're an inexperienced Bikram student. I felt better after a few minutes and went about my business. Yes, I was properly hydrated before and after class!

Went home, took a shower and then went to the grocery store. At the grocery store, I started feeling weak, dizzy, and thought I was having a panic attack, all at the same time. Somehow I managed to buy my groceries and get out without causing a scene. I bought something with some carbs that I could throw into the oven (samosas).

I could barely drive I was so panicked. I had to stop at McDonald's (and I NEVER eat fast food these days) and order 2 Filet o' Fish sandwiches. I slammed them down in the parking lot and felt a little better. I managed to drive myself home, and then the panicky feelings started to come back. I thought I was going to have a heart attack and die. I seriously considered asking my neighbor for a ride to the ER. I heated up the samosas and ate them and now I am feeling better. Not 100% better, but I am calming down.

My question is: Can I do Bikram and still be Primal? I used up every ounce of energy I had and almost killed myself. And I still don't feel quite right.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There was another thread not too long ago where someone was doing a lot of Bikram yoga and was having some anxiety issues and not feeling well.

My guess would be there you are losing a lot of electrolytes from all that sweating. In particular low magnesium and potassium can cause severe anxiety and low sodium causes dizziness. If I were going to do Bikram yoga I would make sure to drink homemade bone broth with lots of sea salt a few days a week and I would supplement with a top quality magnesium (natural calm or topical magnesium brine) as well as some potassium.

For now, if you have any natural sea salt you could try a glass of water with some sea salt.

Magnesium, Potassium and Sodium. Ok, I'll try to get more of these things into my body. I'd really hate to quit Bikram and I really loathe the fact that I had to eat "dirty" to calm myself down.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Coconut water is a great "sports" drink.

Expensive, but yes, probably a good idea to be carrying some of that around with me, as well.

primalsun is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do crossfit and bikram yoga several times a week while maintaining a paleo diet. You may need to simply eat more. One session of bikram can burn 500-800 calories where as one "regular" yoga class only burns about 200 calories, therefore you would need to eat a few hundred extra calories a day. In addition, as mentioned above coconut water is extremely helpful. I drink 11oz before and after each yoga class. Good luck with the rest of your journey!