Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Temporary Weight Gain From Complex Carb Inflammation? page 2

johnnyrandom is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That's some really interesting information. I eat plenty of fruit and berries every day, so I doubt I'm chronically glycogen depleted. I certainly lose anywhere from 2-3 lb. of water after my 30-45 min. morning workout too.

raney is offline Senior Member
    You guys still own scales?

Choco nailed the science on this.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrandom View Post
    That's some really interesting information. I eat plenty of fruit and berries every day, so I doubt I'm chronically glycogen depleted. I certainly lose anywhere from 2-3 lb. of water after my 30-45 min. morning workout too.
    Like 300g of carbs worth a day? Because that's what the average American is eating a day to stay fully compensated, and they're getting it mostly from sugar and starch, plus they're sedentary. If you're eating 150g of fruit and fibrous vegetables a day, that may seem high in terms of the Primal Blueprint, but that's a very low carb diet vs the SAD. PLUS, if you're active and exercising Primally - lifting heavy things and doing low level cardio - you are constantly burning through your glycogen. I'm assuming you're not sitting on the couch all day eating potatoes and bananas.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PrimalJosh is offline Member
    I had two pear ciders the other day and shot up about half a kilo on the scales the next day. The following day the scales were a kilo lower (so I still lost weight overall, but that retained that water/bloating was really noticable)

johnnyrandom is offline Junior Member
    I've never added up the grams of carbs I eat... On any given day I eat (roughly) 1 cup of blueberries, a banana, 2 apples, 1/2 cup raspberries, 4 kiwi, sometimes and orange or two. I'm mixing these up in a bowl with lots of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc. I'm probably burning right through all of this since I do a lot of mountain biking, rock climbing, tree climbing, trail running, lifting heavy things, pull-ups, push-ups... I almost never worry about what I'm eating as long as it's organic and none of it is man-made. I get plenty of good fats, eat mostly meat and salads followed by fruits and nuts. On the starting question, I was initially baffled by the temporary weight shift caused by bread. I probably never noticed this before going primal since it was a staple food in my past. Thanks to everyone for being so thorough answering my questions!

otzi Guest
    It still seems there is something else going on, though. I can understand the rapid weight gain and loss from a carb refeed, but a 6-10lbs gain from just a few pieces of bread? I still think it's an abnormal inflammation situation and not a normal metabolic process.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    It still seems there is something else going on, though. I can understand the rapid weight gain and loss from a carb refeed, but a 6-10lbs gain from just a few pieces of bread? I still think it's an abnormal inflammation situation and not a normal metabolic process.
    No, just water weight. You are being paranoid about teh evil carbz.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    If it only happens with bread couldn't it be an allergic reaction / intolerance to gluten or yeast?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    If it only happens with bread couldn't it be an allergic reaction / intolerance to gluten or yeast?
    Please explain the mechanism for how an allergic reaction or intolerance would cause you to gain a substantial amount of weight but have it melt off a day or two later???? Chocotaco already explained how carbs add water weight. This is a well known fact. Why do you think people lose so much weight in the first week of going low carb? Do you really think that these people lost 10 pounds of fat in one week? No, of course not, it is just water weight.

otzi Guest
    Maybe so, but seems weird that a one-time serving of 20-40g of wheat could cause that much water weight. I could understand 400-1000g of starchy carbs causing it, but a couple servings of bread?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast