Thread: What would happen page

Travis G Guest

Primal Fuel

What would happen to the body comp. overall health etc. if someone would have a day or two of low carb / calorie followed by a refeed or high carb / calorie day?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Is the person already lean? How intense are his workouts? What are his goals? Has he been primal/paleo for a long time?

I ask because the diet you describe will never give the person a chance to switch over from sugar-burning to fat-burning metabolism. For most, this translates to inability to reach maximum leanness.

As for health, more carbs in the diet means more insulin in the blood, which means more risk of heart disease, higher blood pressure, and a host of other problems.

What would be the motivation for choosing a diet such as you describe? All I can think of is lack of commitment or, possibly, something based on the needs of a competative athlete.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Travis G Guest

I was asking jsut as a gee whiz type question, but I'm a swimmer and about as lean as I want to go b/c of that (much leaner and my times suffer) I'm in the pool 3-4 days a week for anywhere from 10 minutes to around an hour. I do some sort of strength training 4-6 times a week followed most days by a crossfit wod based on what I've just worked on for strength. Also at least once a week I do a 5k w/ my dog, and chase her about every day for some sprints, so yeah I guess I'm pretty active, so knowing all of that what would the side effects / draw backs be?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Gotcha.

My activity level is also quite high, and I too have reached my desired level of leanness.

I manage all that activity just fine (good recoveries, lifts going up, etc) on low carb (75g or fewer/day) as long as I get enough calories (usually 2000-2300/day for a 5'3", 18%BF, 122 lb female).

I've been experimenting with primal carb mini-refeeds lately and find that they do, indeed, seem to lean me out a touch more and boost performance. However, we're talking once every 10-12 days (and only about 250g carbs) -- that's a far cry from every other day.

IMO, short cycles (every other day) would do more harm than good because you'd never settle into fat-burning mode. Seems like energy levels would be inconsistent. I'll be interested in what others have to say, though!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid