Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting HIIT page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

So I have been successfully Primal for a while now, but only on the dietary side.

Now I have decided to start becoming Primal lifestyle-wise, and for that I want to start practicing HIIT.

The problem is, I sincerely believe that if I sprint as fast as I can for 20 secs, I will die. While I walk around 30 mins a day at very fast pace, I haven't exercised "properly" in like a year.

Did any of you guys start doing HIIT from scratch? IF so, I'd love to hear about how you transitioned from being an (active) sedentary into a successful HIIT athlete.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

I was just reading about transitioning to full Tabata:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/six_new_tabata_workouts_for_fast_fat_loss

* no idea what the cleavage shots lower in the page are there for???

Maybe you could start with some nice relaxed body weight exercises and work your way into HIIT?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Geoff is offline Member

SS -

I've always been fairly athletic, so I might not have the best advice for you on transitioning, but perhaps "play" can be your gateway. Find a team sport that involves some regular anaerobic bursts. Something you can play with some buddies and keep it low key and not super competitive. Mark plays ultimate, but basketball, soccer, baseball/softball, or other team sports would give you the opportunity to ramp up the intensity in a fun way. That way, rather than "running for your life" you'd just be out having a good time with some friends. Just keep the competitiveness low and focus on having fun and getting a good workout.

Then after getting yourself mentally comfortable with the idea of higher intensity and building up your conditioning through the play you could to add in more traditional HIIT workouts.

@ Tarlach: I used to lift a long time ago. Do you think that pushing myself to the limit in short bursts with heavy weights would pave the road to proper Tabatas?

Or maybe I should start by classic low-intensity running?

@ Geoff: You make a good point on reaching the appropriate mind set. Perhaps some easy workouts would help me build some mental conditioning.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

I wouldn't start with heavy weights.

Even light weights will smash you if you aren't ready.

I would personally start with just doing a few exercises each day or two. Maybe start with push-ups, chin-up, body squats, etc

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Shine is offline Member

When I am getting back into shape after time off, I will start with two minutes of "slow" Tabatas at 75% max speed instead of all out. After a few weeks, I find that I can usually work back up to four to five minutes of full cycles.

Lately, I have been really pressed for time and have had to cram my workout into ten minutes in the morning. In lieu of sprinting, sometimes I just do fast sets of jumping jacks coupled with fast sets of bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, push-ups, etc.). This doesn't give the full exertion of an all-out sprinting work-out, so maybe it would help in transitioning up to full Tabatas.

great advice, thanks guys

Vick is offline Senior Member

I started from scratch last August. I had never weight trained in my life and hadn't really exercised for decades.

My goal was to do my static holds, plus 2 other exercises a week. They would either be a walk, sprinting, or spartan 300.

Based on what I've learned since then I'd suggest you start with the big 5, and 2 walks as your minimum.

If you are trying to lose weight you need the high intensity to drain the muscles of glucose. The big 5 will give you that in a progressive method.

Geoff is offline Member

Don't know if you have access, but perhaps racketball or squash would work as a transition? One advantage of the indoor games over, say, tennis is that you can even just go into the court alone and rally the ball around hard in bursts of a minute or so interspersed with rest.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree with those who suggested bodyweight work at a comfortable pace, plus some scaled-down Tabata sets. That is, choose a good Tabata exercise (stair running, say) and do all 8 sets of 20 seconds on, 10 off, but at something less that all-out intensity. Build up as you gain confidence.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast