Thread: Are Chia Seeds Really All THAT? page

jpickett1968 Guest

Shop Now

I have heard the pros and cons of Chia seeds. They are highly recommended in the book, Born to Run, and then the Huffington Post said this about them: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-pirello/change-your-life-with-chi_b_446413.html

What I've heard on Rob Wolff's podcast, Paleolithic Solutions, is that although they are high in omega 3's, they are short chain vs the long chain you'd find in fish oil and so he dismisses them to the amount of hype they seem to be getting all over. (Even my grocery store has a display for them in the organic area).

Who's used them, have you noticed the wonder benefits they mention or is this simply another fad?

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I don't know much about them but most Omega 3 from plant sources is in the form of ALA, a form which the body has to convert to DHA or EPA to use and which it can't convert readily. I have a feeling the placebo effect is in effect.

Travis G Guest

I've used them before, and could tell a little bit of a difference (for the better) in my swims and longer runs. Also my crossfit times seemed to be a little better. Give them a try, I mean what do you have to loose?

andyincc Guest

I can't speak for anybody else, but I LOVE 'em.

grandma is offline Member

hype, ALA is of limited value. End of day they are a seed. Seeds are just on the OK list.

As Mark says:
    [quote]

To sum up, seeds are last – and possibly least – on the list of Primal-approved foods. You don’t want to make them the bulk of your diet (there’s no way Grok ever did), but they can’t be beat for portability and convenience.</blockquote>
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Caveman Sam Guest

I bought some them last fall after reading Born to Run... wanted to try them out. The only thing I noticed was the hydration effect. They slowed the absorption of water... kind of like and internal IV drip. Worked great for longer workout sessions. I continued to take fish oil while I was using the chia seeds. Never noticed any benefit there but who knows. I think they taste pretty good in water with a little lime juice too.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

It&#39;s not like I can really add them and say "these imrpove my wellness by this much!" or omit them and measure the difference. But they&#39;re a good way to add more fat to the diet and balance the omega fat ratio. ALA is indeed overrated for EPA and DHA conversion but I believe that it has its own benefits, namely countering the inflammation from any omega 6 fats we get. Chia seeds also have some pretty good nutrition and have a fair amount of antioxidants so I&#39;m glad to include them.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

PrimalCon New York

@andyincc: What the hell is that about?

re topic: ho hum, another fad........