Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Carb vs. Additives, Preservatives, etc. Dilemna page

superseiyan is offline Member

Hi Guys:

I'm in a little of a fix because of economic conditions. The option is a grocery shopping allocation of $400 per month instead of $140. Grassfed beefs are expensive. Trying to eat salads or spinach in a variety that won't drive one nuts is also expensive.

Here is the problem:

Since I'm eating lots of salads/vegetables, things like bacon bits add taste and variety. Since I'm not eating bread and carbs, I need something to snack on, I might have some salami instead, but that has a trace of preservatives.

Basically, offered the choice of going WHOLE AND NATURAL carbs (potatoes, pastas, brown bread, orange juices, etc) at a 1/3 split with fats and protein

vs.

reducing on carbs, not being a nazi about it, but reducing the split to carbs 10%, and the rest nuts, fats, protein, veggies, fruits...BUT with a diet soda here and there. Maybe you use some

Maybe some of you might see it as a pick your poison, but what's better? Orange juice, organic potato chips, or non-organic salami, flavored water....etc. Basically, I know what I want, I take what I can get. I strive to reduce carbs significantly from a typical SAD, but a few items that are not organic might slip in here and there.

Main problem is finances.

Note: By non-organic I'm NOT talking about food products like those packs of cheese with 100 slices, but more like actual food like sausages, only with preservatives.

I'm on week 5 of primal, main challenge is keeping variety. I'm finding it difficult to eat the amount of vegetables I need to be eating, most of my calories are from fat and protein.

My dilemna is organic/whole/clean but with much more carbs/grains or minimal carbs, meats with veggies, but a preservative slipping in here and there. Is regular soda better for the body than a stevia sweetened drink since it has "real sugar"?

Guys I know neither is optimal, but hey, I'm not yet a noveau riche. There's the economy, and savings and allocation of finances to other areas one has to take care of

Stabby is offline Senior Member

There are some non-animal fats that are quite good and inexpensive that you could add. Organic shredded coconut and flaxseeds are quite cheap. I put both on fruit/veggie salads.

Also consider buying some wild canned salmon. They do add conventional salt to a lot of it but I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

superseiyan is offline Member

Isn't Flaxseed high in carb content?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I don't really understand your dilemma... also don't understand your budget concerns. $400/month is my grocery budget for my husband and I, including some household products like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, ziploc bags, etc... so not all food.

And we do fine. In fact, we're buying 1/4 cow (should get the meat any day now!) - it will reduce our budget about $25/week, and we also joined our local CSA so we get local mostly-organic produce for about $25/week - so basically we'll have $50 to spend in the grocery store each week. It's doable.

Also I'm not sure why you need the sodas... just drink water. If you need variety, squeeze in a lemon or make some tea or decaf coffee or drink coconut water (no sweeteners added).

Are you having trouble getting calories in? What's the real problem here? I read your post pretty carefully I think but I'm confused about the issue at hand.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

grandma is offline Member

Skip the product, buy ingredients and make your own food.

I don't consider brown bread (whole wheat?), pasta, orange juice to be whole and natural.

Grass-fed is not essential to avoid the ills of the SAD diet. Even CAFO grain-fed meat prepared at home is better than "lunch meat" or other products.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Sir Grandma, I totally agree with you.

Also - if you're eating CAFO meat it's easy (and cheap) to supplement Omega 3 with fish oil.

I don't get why it's:

organic potato chips / orange juice / wheat pasta / bread

vs.

meat / fruit / veggies / FLAVORED WATERS/ DIET DRINKS ?

Why the fancy drinks for your primal-esque diet? I soooo don't understand.

Also it seems like you think you need to be eating tons of veggies - eat as many as you want, and don't worry about it beyond that. They may be the base of the primal pyramid but that's due to their bulk, not due to the calories from them. Most of your calories should come from fat, then protein - then carbs last.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

This post makes no sense to me, either. You think that if you can't afford organic meat, then you may as well drink soda pop instead of water?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Also, nobody "needs" to snack on anything.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Geoff is offline Member

I too have some trouble figuring out what seems to be your problem. When finances are limited compromises may be necessary. Still let's not confuse reasonable Primal compromises (CAFO meat plus Omega 3 supplement instead of grass fed) and non-Primal substitutes (chips? diet soda? orange juice?)

No offense, but you may want to spend some more time looking at the resources Mark has posted here.

Since it seems budget is your main concern, start with these resources:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...hy-save-money/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eat-h...d-on-a-budget/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cheap-meats-thrift-cuts/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-meat-options/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-budget/

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Yeah. I don't get it, either.

I'm on a tight grocery budget, and often that means CAFO meat and conventional produce. I wash the produce well and take fish oil capsules (Costco has inexpensive ones that Rob Wolff recommends.) I drink water, coffee, and herbal teas.

"Tight budget" does not mean I have to consume soda (instead of water), salami (instead of ground beef) and bread (instead of unsweetened dessicated coconut).

In short, you've drawn a false dichotomy. Why?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast