Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weston A. Price, Paleo, Primal... page

goin2befit is offline Member

Weston A. Price, Paleo, Primal...

Shop Now
    I had never paid much attention to Weston A. Price until I seen a link posted about the Nourishing Traditional Diets... well, I guess that finally put most of my ideas to rest. Just wanted to see if I've got the main idea here....

Animal fat = good (should be grass-fed and exposed to sun)

Raw milk/Raw butter (I never knew it was yellowish/orange just thought is was off white/pale yellow color) I do use the organic stick butter, will try to fix that.

Cod liver oil = Great daily!

Plants/fruits/veggies = Not the most important things but have some good stuff as well.

Grains/nuts/legumes = Not the DEVIL they are made out to be. However, they are not grown and treated the way they were. Many of the "older" civilizations did eat them and they were fine. However, after seen the slide show it explained how they were cooked and left to ferment for 2 weeks!!! OMG! Talk about some old bread... Is this really the idea?

Salt = Should not be WHITE either! Must get new salt added to the list!

I believe so much in this style of eating, but yet can't commit because of the idea I can't understand how Grains are so bad (yeah, I've read some studies, I know personally they make me fat, but why... I know 1,000 years ago or more they had them, so what gives?)

If I have my ideas straight then I'm such a happy camper. If I'm off, please someone correct me.

Thanks so much,
    Amanda

P.S. BTW if the above is true, do we really "need" all the foods that I read so many eating? BAS daily, etc? Thanks!
    Last edited by goin2befit; 12-21-2011 at 07:37 PM.

McChunky is offline Member
    I'm not exactly sure what your question is here... I believe WAPF definitely has some good points as well as things that overlap with Paleo / Primal.

If that floats your boat and you feel, look and perform how you want then go for it.

For me, I don't the time or desire to sprout & ferment grains just to make them barely edible (which is debatable even then) when there are a plethora of more healthy and tasty things to eat.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    I am a member of WAPF. I ate that way for a while and attribute my liberal use of good fats and organic foods with the reason why I do not suffer from many problems linked with obesity. However, I was never able to lose weight, clear my skin, or regain my energy until I ditched the grains. I do still consume and make fermented foods, take my CLO, and eat my offal. I just do it from a grain free angle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your health and your goals. I ate WAP style for a long time - it was an enormous improvement over SAD, but my health was still terrible and I was still overweight. Eliminating even soaked grains and legumes was a huge breakthrough for me.

However, if you are healthy, active, and at a normal weight I suspect it is a pretty good way to eat.

ETA: There are a few people on this forum who are essentially WAP eaters - they just don't call themselves that

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading Primal Body Primal Mind now, and she disagrees with the grain-approach of WAPF even though she's a member. I think paleo is a step above WAP- personally I'd never include grains in my diet again. They dud not agree with my health or wellbeing.

goin2befit is offline Member
    Great, I think you guys answered my question... is was basically the idea that the things I listed is correct. I know it may sound ridicules to some, but for me, my "belief" could not swallow the idea of eliminating the grains and what makes them so bad. The reality is grains is one of the foods that has changed tremendously over the years. By NO way the way the even best (pita bread/flat bread with just wheat, water, yeast, etc) are made the way they were made so many years ago. I never realized that concept and explained so well until I stumbled upon WAP.

I have heard about the soaking and things but still didn't "see" it.

For me, I do not process the grains and lose weight.

Of all Atkins works best (but the idea of "good" quality from Primal)! Meaning good fats and no Atkin products or anything like that along with real meat (no deli, nitrates, etc)

Thanks

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not 100% opposed to grains but I think it is a must to try and eliminate it from the diet for at least 2 months to see if one may have an allergy to them. I don't eat any grains because trying to sprout, fresh grind, ferment my own bread is WAY too much of a hassle! Or if you try to buy a loaf of freshly grinded sprouted bread its crazy expensive.

I personally love the WAPF and what they do. They got me into raw milk and that stuff is amazing! I also like reading their wise traditions journals.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    You may want to read Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. He goes into detail about how the wheat we eat now is radically different genetically from even what our grandparents ate, let alone the original agrarian civilizations. Fermenting doesn't get rid of the gluten proteins that many of us are sensitive to. Modern wheat is also much higher in these proteins. I also put corn on the list of grains that have undergone massive transformation. I have no problem with some rice and legumes here and there. They don't seem as problematic from what I've read and from my own experience.

Northrun is offline Member
    Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

Here's an online copy of Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Price, for anyone interested. Just started reading it myself.

activia is offline Senior Member
    So rice may not be for everyone. I get horrible stomach pain whenever I eat brown rice. My stomach gets knotty if I have more then 1/2 cup of white rice. I can only guess on the reason.. So I would say to eliminate ALL grains for a few months then try to add them back in controlled experiments to see how it really effects you.

I haven't done that much experimentation with wheat based products since I went grain free. Although I was eating white rice and a little bread here and there on my honeymoon... I'd have to do a more controlled experiment. I know I feel like I'm going to throwup if I eat certain deserts that contain a lot of sugar/flour yet simple chocolate/vanilla ice cream does not seem to bother me (add in other stuff and forget it).

Before I went primal none of this stuff seemed to really bother me at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast