Thread: Anyone familiar with what raw beef looks like page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Anyone familiar with what raw beef looks like

Shop Now
    OK, so I just bought a kilo of prime NZ steak, thinking it was more likely to be grass-fed. Payed a fortune.

But when I got it home, it appeared to me, like 3 bits of meat were 'stuck' together. I've never bought such a large amount of meat before (normally I'd buy, like, one thin, steak) so I have no idea if this is 'normal', or if I just bought meat-glue meat. I'd be very, very upset if I did!

So the meat was in 'one' chunk, but that was made up of 3 'bits', visible by obvious cracks / lines within the meat. It tore apart easily once a bit of pulling pressure was applied to those cracks.

To me, it looked like they weren't supposed to be be 'connected' to each other, but were just three 'chunks' nestled up against each other.

So, for anyone with any experience of raw meat, or butchery, does this sound 'normal'?

Sorry I can't explain it better, and I'm mad that I didn't take any pictures before cutting it up into steaks and freezing it, but I just didn't think.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I sliced meat such as venison or pork, when a steak or roast appears to come apart, you can always see some form of fat or connective tissue. However, I am not an expert or a butcher and I have never processed a cow.
    Last edited by rhee; 12-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    OK, so I just bought a kilo of prime NZ steak, thinking it was more likely to be grass-fed. Payed a fortune.

But when I got it home, it appeared to me, like 3 bits of meat were 'stuck' together. I've never bought such a large amount of meat before (normally I'd buy, like, one thin, steak) so I have no idea if this is 'normal', or if I just bought meat-glue meat. I'd be very, very upset if I did!

So the meat was in 'one' chunk, but that was made up of 3 'bits', visible by obvious cracks / lines within the meat. It tore apart easily once a bit of pulling pressure was applied to those cracks.

To me, it looked like they weren't supposed to be be 'connected' to each other, but were just three 'chunks' nestled up against each other.

So, for anyone with any experience of raw meat, or butchery, does this sound 'normal'?

Sorry I can't explain it better, and I'm mad that I didn't take any pictures before cutting it up into steaks and freezing it, but I just didn't think.

If the chunks were were pieces of separate adjacent muscle, there would be some connective tissue between them, usually fat or a fatty transparent membrane.

It's a fairly common practice in the catering industry in NZ (and Australia) to "glue" chunks of of cuts together to make a more useful sized piece of meat, or particular sizes etc. to reduce wastage, give consistent servings/portions etc. At least here in NZ this appears to be restricted to only the industry and not meat that is sold to the public.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Meat-gluing-p...8/Default.aspx

Or from Oz: http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonig...315/meat-glue/
    Last edited by Misabi; 12-21-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added another link.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    If they came apart easy I think you are ok.

We raise our own beef and the steaks are always packaged with 3 or 4 pieces together. When you first look at it, it does look like one piece but will not stick together. Anything marked Roast should not be in pieces like that though.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Meat glue sticks so well that it has no seams. If it's coming apart and has seams - it's not glued together, or so I've heard.