Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good jerky page

elektro is offline Member

Good jerky

Can anyone recommend some good quality, good tasting beef jerky? A lot of the ones that seem decent taste horrible, they have a very fake taste to them and usually give me indigestion. The ones I've tried that taste good have a lot of crap in them. The 365 brand best I've found for quality and taste, but even that has some garbage in it.

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    Great question, I would like to know, also! I'm looking for something quality yet affordable. Recipes to make your own would be great, also
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Make your own

You can use cheap cuts of beef, like brisket or even heart, and it tastes great.
    I use a food dehydrator, but I know people who use an electric oven on its lowest setting over night and also one who uses a box wrack with a light bulb inside it, but that takes a couple of days to dry the meat.

I thinly slice the meat, to 3 or 4 mm, some times thicker if I want some big chewy chunks, then soak for a few hours/overnight in a couple of table spoons of tamari sauce and lots of black pepper &/or chill flakes. Then whack in the dehydrator and leave over night. Job Done!

Make in bulk and I have enough to last me a couple of weeks, the biggest problem is having enough containers to store it all
    Last edited by Misabi; 12-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    I also make my own. I buy english roasts when they go on sale buy one get one free at my grocery (I know grass fed is better, but I'm working within a budget and need to feed my family) slice thin and marinate in Worcestershire sauce and tamari with some garlic, onion, pepper overnight. I do use a dehydrator, but I used to just lay it over the oven racks and dry on the lowest setting with the door open a crack. I don't recomend letting it go over night though, some pieces will dry faster than others so you'll need to check it every hour after about 4-5 hrs depending on how hot your setup is.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Make your own

You can use cheap cuts of beef, like brisket or even heart, and it tastes great.
    I use a food dehydrator, but I know people who use an electric oven on its lowest setting over night and also one who uses a box wrack with a light bulb inside it, but that takes a couple of days to dry the meat.

I thinly slice the meat, to 3 or 4 mm, some times thicker if I want some big chewy chunks, then soak for a few hours/overnight in a couple of table spoons of tamari sauce and lots of black pepper &/or chill flakes. Then whack in the dehydrator and leave over night. Job Done!

Make in bulk and I have enough to last me a couple of weeks, the biggest problem is having enough containers to store it all
    +1 for DIY jerky. I use either heart (when I can get it) or venison flank steak. The key is to get a really lean cut of meat. I make mine South African "biltong" style. You soak the thin strips of meat in apple cider vinegar overnight then spice them however you want and dehydrate in the oven or a dehydrator. The traditional S. AFrican spice mix is 1/3 each salt, pepper, and coriander.

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member
    Hmmm... I have a beef heart in my freezer that I've been afraid to do anything with, maybe jerky is my answer!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalw1 View Post
    Hmmm... I have a beef heart in my freezer that I've been afraid to do anything with, maybe jerky is my answer!
    Oooooh yes. Let it defrost a bit but then slice it cross grain when it is still a little frozen. this makes it "hold still" for being sliced a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oooooh yes. Let it defrost a bit but then slice it cross grain when it is still a little frozen. this makes it "hold still" for being sliced a bit better.
    +1 also you can't tell that it's heart meat when it's jerky.
    Some people don't like the texture of the cooked heart meat, it's kind of like a cross between liver and steak.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The key is to get a really lean cut of meat.
    Ive read this a few times, but I've never really worried to much about it. I find the fatty parts are great
    I can understand if you're drying meat for long term storage, but it never lasts long enough in my house for the fat to turn rancid =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast