Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawal symptoms after going on a low carb diet page

Thaumas is offline Junior Member

Withdrawal symptoms after going on a low carb diet

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

I started my diet a few days ago, and I have been feeling very tense ever since. I'm using myfitnesspal as I go along, and my food diary shows that I'm about 300 calories short of my calorie "target" (my average number of calories per day is 1650), and about 140 grams short of my carb "target". It seems I'm addicted to something I've been cutting back on, although I'm not sure what.

Can you recommend any strategy for coping with this type of withdrawal? I suppose I could start with increasing the intake of proteins and veggies so as to attain my 1950 calorie target, but I doubt doing this will suffice to eliminate the withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you your thoughts.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    It is probably sugar. This is very common.

The Low Carb Flu | Mark's Daily Apple

Thank you Jim for suggesting that it is sugar my body's missing. I have always been into savouriness, though. Therefore my intake of sugar must have been pretty low even before I went on my diet. So I'm not sure it is sugar I'm addicted to. Or do you mean to say that my body is missing the blood sugar that it used to convert my carbs into? If that is the case, how do you fight sugar withdrawal?

Claraflo is offline Member
    Are you including saturated fat in your diet? Carb cravings are killed by the small addition of saturated fat, lard, coconut oil, butter. In my experience, eating a lot of lean meats and vegeable oils leaves you unsatiated and this often manifests as cravings. Fat phobia is rife but once you overecome it you find your food is much more satisfying both to the tastebuds and nutritionally. Some saturated fat is good for you.
    Last edited by Claraflo; 12-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Thank you Claraflo for suggesting saturated fat. However, my cholesterol numbers are high, and I've been told by my GP to steer clear of saturated fatty acids. I'll have to find something else if I am to try and experience satiation while depriving myself of carbs.

TimWix is offline Junior Member

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I think you need avocados ~ higher (healthy) fat, tons of nutrients, delicious any way you eat them~

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Red face

You need fat to quell the sugar withdrawal feelings....you will feel antsy, off, "rummagy" (as in rummaging around for that which you really want but not finding it), an unless you are a very controlled person, you will manage to stuff all kinds of things into your mouth while trying to figure out what "it" is you actually want. It's FAT, save yourself the heartache and dive in...you will feel calm, energized, stable and satiated, promise. Meat and fat.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Eat a stack of short ribs, an avocado, a well marbles steak, use butter on your meat. You "need" fat
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't sound too abnormal. Personally, when I take a break from paleo - when life gets in the way or my discipline goes for the holiday season or something - or eat some more generous carb paleo for a bit - like lot's of mashed potatoes - I get some kind of withdrawal symptoms too. Almost without fail I get a pretty killer headache after 2 or 3 days low carb. But then I guess my body adjusts and everything is okay.

For suggestions, I think avocados sound great. Personally I love them. Get over your fear of saturated fat. Read Track your Plaque by Dr. William Davis if you're concerned about your heart. I would throw in eggs. Even your gp, if he is at all competent, will agree that eggs do not have an effect on cholesterol or heart disease status. Eggs are great for getting calories in. Maybe be more liberal with the olive oil to dress the veggies you steam up. Oh, and eat twice as many veggies as you were before ;-).

Good luck
    Last edited by Primalest; 12-21-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast