Thread: In need of some advice...fell off the wagon page

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Howdy all,

I had been sticking to the primal diet and lifestyle pretty well for about a month but for the past week or so I have been going binge crazy with food. Admittedly I have kept most of the binging within the primal guidelines....but barely, a few high cocoa chocolate bars with way too much almond butter and some condiments and a few buns here and there.

Anyway I was just wondering if any out there on the plains of the primal world have had this problem/advice for me.

Thanks

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

jpickett1968 Guest

Adv - so if I'm hearin' ya right, you bought the box of low-fat cookies, liked them so much you ate the whole box and now you need help so you don't eat the box? Sounds like me a few years ago!

Here is what I'd suggest personally - your portion size is a little out of whack. You may need to weigh/measure your food based on a suggested caloric intake.

What's causing the binges? Are you not eating to satiety which is causing this? I'd recommend eating larger meals with plenty of protein and fat so that your belly is full and not prone to the binges.

That's my take - good luck.

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

I started a thread myself the other day because I fell off and had a horrible bout of guilt...

No point beating yourself up about, it doesn't undo all the good work, start again and ITS OK.

And well, at least even in the midst of the binge, you made the better choice!

Suggestions included keeping primal snacks, bars... I now have some almonds... but not enough to binge on.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Try avoiding the trigger foods for a while, and the cravings might go away (if you forget its there, you can't binge

Stick with it. Lots of people fight through it, I went through a time of fanatical overconsumtion of almond butter and coconut milk. Soon (with eating more protein and fat), your appetite will become more regulated.

dfast is offline Member

I know this situation all too well. I'm currently making a list of 'trigger foods'; foods that, even though mostly primal, cause me to binge. For me it's things like nuts, nut butters, coconut milk, cream - basically things that I could ingest enormous amounts of without thinking too much about it!

Of course, jpickett is right when he says that you may not be eating to satiety. I find it much harder to overeat foods like bacon and eggs. I've found that upping my fat intake at breakfast has helped to stave off hunger until dinner time (I don't eat lunch).

Whatever you decide to do, remember that you're only one meal away from being primal (good little thing to remember).

Good luck!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

JPickett- I think my problem was yesterday I upped all my lifting (weights, reps,and added in some supersets) and tried to down regulate my food consumption to compensate for the previous few days; like trying to race a car without putting petro in.

WUG- Yeah, that is one of the big things I have learned from the time I have spent going through MDA and have tried to diligently drive into my head, even when you "fudge" up (almost literally in my case) it's okay.

Iceskater and dfast- Yeah I really need to make a list of trigger foods....nuts and nut butters are an absolute nightmare to have around me, I go through them like it's hibernation time. I think I will stick to whole eggs, chicken and some vegs with butter for a bit here to reign everything back in.

The college meal plan/lack of cooking equip makes variety a bit difficult; but what's life without a little challenge.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog