Thread: making coconut flour page

thansen Guest

Primal Fuel

So, the po-dunk town I live in is too small to have coconut flour (I'm lucky I found almond meal) so I figured I would try and make some. Toss some shredded coconut in the food processor, and give it a whirl (no pun intended).

However, all I can find is the pre-sweetened stuff. Will the added sugar and "other stuff" make much of a difference in making the flour, outside of the obvious "sugar and other stuff"?

I'm really curious to try a bunch of "primal baking" since I love to cook in the first place.

JamieBelle is offline Member

My coconut flour comes from amazon.com.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Tim, all that would do is give you what is generally known as "coconut cream." Finely pulverized coconut "meat."

Coconut flour is made by grinding up the meat after the fats are extracted during the making of coconut "milk."

Do mail order.

FairyRae2 Guest

I just saw a cool recipe on Son of Grok using ground dessicated coconut, instead of coconut flour. Maybe it could give you some ideas to use what you have. (I'd really try NOT to use the sweetened kind--I would think it kind of defeats the purpose of going to the trouble of making your own coconut flour baked goods...Like pp's mentioned, I'd look into mail order...)

FairyRae2 Guest

Totally forgot the recipe--here it is: http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/03/the...fast-sandwich/

Caveman Sam Guest

I've made the McSoG quite a few times with "coconut flour" which, like Fairy said is really the dessicated stuff. Just get a coconut and get the meat out. Whack it to pieces in a blender and put it in a strainer and push down all around to get as much of the milk out as possible. When that's done spread out the little coconut bits on a cookie sheet and dehydrate it in the oven. 20-30 minutes is usually enough. Make sure you stir it around once or twice. I just put it in a tupperware container in the pantry and use it to make the McSoG every so often.

I've been meaning to try making the griddle cakes with almond flour or maybe a coconut/almond flour mix.