Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great offal recipe blog! She brings the funny too... page

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Blog just started 2/2/10:

http://www.theoffalcook.com/

Column on serious eats by the blogger:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/the-nasty-bits/?ref=brkbox

Recipes for liver, neck, tripe, kidney, skin, fat, tails, feet, fish head, frogs, tongue...

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

maba is offline Senior Member

Ooh, nice! I'd love to try the fish-head soup. I think I have some heads I picked up from the fish monger a couple of months ago. But I've heard fish heads don't keep well, that the oils go rancid, I hope mine hasn't gone bad.

Along the same lines I keep hearing liver is bad for you b/c of the toxins it contains. Ive only had it a few times but I dont wanna eat it if I get vitamins AND toxins ya know? I do understand that calf liver from grassfed cows will be better buuuut still...?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

wug
    wug is offline Junior Member

Ohhr.. my mum makes a fish head soup that I absolutely devour when she does!

Bookmarking link! I love cooking!

Do you eat the eyes???

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

why is everything about "calf liver"? Is older cow liver not acceptable? Even if the cow was grass-fed its whole life with no antibiotics and stuff?

I ask because I talked to the butcher people today - I'm getting the cow's liver, heart, tongue, kidneys, and suet.

So good timing with this blog! Thanks for sharing the link.

But yeah, why is it always "baby cow liver" or "calf liver"?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I think its something to do with a lower exposure time to the toxins. I dunno...

Anyway on the blog she coks the liver RARE. Has anyone tried this? I dont like the texture of liver (grainy/mealy) so I ussually have to mix it into other things. So MAYBE this rare cooking will decrease mealy texture?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Interesting TT, when I cooked liver it cooked all the way through, and it was GROSSSSSS...we only ended up eating the sauteed onions

To get it rare it would basically be seared in a pan for almost no time at all! I didn't like the taste either, but maybe it was the texture that was really throwing me off.

And I think they're saying calves liver because of exposure to toxins as well, I don't think they are considering grass-finished beef in the equation.

I'm cooking my beef heart next Friday, I wish she had a recipe for that on there! If nothing else I'll at least wrap it in bacon

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Bacon makes eveything better! Youll have to let me know how it is!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

So y'all think my cow liver should be fine? Toxin-wise I mean? I mean... I've talked to the rancher guy on the phone for a while (not in person though) and I'd say I trust him w/the cows. If we're here for a while I will definitely be asking him about his pigs (he mentioned pigs in passing).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast