Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu Vaccine page 4

rhee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was never intending to shout anyone down for choosing to get a flu shot. I will take exception to essentially being called personally, family, and socially irresponsible. I also don’t appreciate being told that I have a “damn smug attitude”. Most of us made informed decisions that best fit our family and lifestyle. By your very logic, anyone that gets the shot is immune, so why does it matter if I don’t. If grandpa gets the shot then I won’t kill him…right! A person that gets the shot can still carry the virus. In fact, most still catch the flu in a weaker form. The only ones that don’t are 70-90% healthy people and it could be argued that they would have fought the illness effectively anyway.
    And last, I don’t trust the government or their buddy pharmaceutical companies that many govies are shareholders of. First they tell us to eat a certain way that causes the death of 469,687 ( just numbers for diabetes and heart disease) Americans a year. Pharmacuetical companies kill 100,000 each year. According to the CDC, flu deaths before the vaccine was available killed tens of thousands of people each year, mostly over the age of 65. That means between 10,000 and 99,000, a pretty big gap in my opinion. With a flu shot on the market, only 49,000 die depending on the year. Then they go off and play god with a virus that only infected 400 people world wide and produced killer strands of it (recent news by the way). FDA runs trials for almost all drugs for years but the flu vac is exempt. In fact, I could find no documentation on any long term trials or studies. We are the lab rats in this experiment and that isn’t even including the yearly flu vac recalls that have been going on.

So believe what you want and get shot up by every vaccine under the sun. However, do not expect me to live in fear of a common ailment, inject things into my body that I may find objectional, and compromise my own immunity for your illusion of "the greater good".

Complications of Immunization
    Influenza vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    New Proof that Flu Shots are Unnecessary and Ineffective
    Details of lab-made bird flu won't be revealed - Yahoo! Finance
    CDC H1N1 Flu | Vaccine General Info
    Preventing the Flu -- FamilyDoctor.org

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephlowen View Post
    My husband may sometimes get the flu vaccine but I don't and I do not let my daughter get it. I don't feel that I have a social responsibility to get it because if there are elderly, sick, or young people out there who are susceptible to the flu, then they should be getting the flu shot. I should not have to potentially suffer the flu myself in order to take care of the general public, who should be taking care of themselves.
    Liberals believe they're advancing people's power - yet they don't believe people can do anything right without their guidance.
    People can't do anything right - yet the government bureaucracy can do everything.
    The government bureaucracy can do everything - yet liberals don't like it when the government takes control of their lives.
    Liberals don't like it when the government takes control of their lives - yet they vote for programs that increase people's dependency on the government.
    They vote for programs that increase people's dependency on the government - yet they believe they're advancing people's power.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Any one of you could get that same bug and sneeze in the aisle of whole foods while shopping for soup ingredients and my Dad could walk by and the same thing would happen. You are all just so damn smug in your, "I don't need a vax, I'm tough" attitudes, you would never realize that you had KILLED a person..
    So what's next? Lobbying for legislation to make the flu vaccine mandatory? God forbid someone might die of something somewhere. Are you going to pay for it?

There's over 7 billion people in this world. We can't save them all nor should we.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephlowen View Post
    My husband may sometimes get the flu vaccine but I don't and I do not let my daughter get it. I don't feel that I have a social responsibility to get it because if there are elderly, sick, or young people out there who are susceptible to the flu, then they should be getting the flu shot. I should not have to potentially suffer the flu myself in order to take care of the general public, who should be taking care of themselves.
    Huh? The flu shot does not give you the flu. Many people such as my Dad are taking care of themselves with a flu shot. As pointed out above and not disputed by me however, it is not 100% effective. If everybody,particularly in urban environments, gets a shot, we can collectively lower the risk for everybody. Many people don't get sick themselves because of strong immune systems but are nonetheless carriers who pass the bug along to others. How would you like it if your daughter's playmate's infant sibling caught the flue and died because you didn't get her vaccinated?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    What the hell is he doing walking around a public area if he's so prone to catching something and dying? Seems unsafe to me.

Huh? The flu shot does not give you the flu. Many people such as my Dad are taking care of themselves with a flu shot. As pointed out above and not disputed by me however, it is not 100% effective. If everybody,particularly in urban environments, gets a shot, we can collectively lower the risk for everybody. Many people don't get sick themselves because of strong immune systems but are nonetheless carriers who pass the bug along to others. How would you like it if your daughter's playmate's infant sibling caught the flue and died because you didn't get her vaccinated?
    If you think it's harmless you need to detune the propaganda channels

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    So what's next? Lobbying for legislation to make the flu vaccine mandatory? God forbid someone might die of something somewhere. Are you going to pay for it?

There's over 7 billion people in this world. We can't save them all nor should we.
    I wasn't asking for legislation. I was asking for people to care about their neighbors. Why does that have to turn political?

stephlowen is offline Member
    Many, many people end up with the flu after receiving the flu shot. At least 10 individuals that I work with, who all seem very healthy, have gotten it from the flu vaccine. If it is not 100% effective, again, why get it? I wouldn't take any medication if it wasn't 100% effective on eliminating the problem that caused me to take it. This is no different.

If my daughter's playmate's infant sibling didn't have the flu shot, then I would feel sad for the family but I would not feel in any way guilty. My own stepdaughter has an infant son and I have zero qualms with seeing him, holding him, and allowing my daughter to do the same. I insist that both of us wash our hands before handling him and if either of us exhibits even the slightest symptoms of the cold or flu, then we would not visit.

I wasn't asking for legislation. I was asking for people to care about their neighbors. Why does that have to turn political?
    Should I walk around with a breathing mask at all times too?

Paleobird Guest
    If someone honestly believes that the flu shot is going to cause them irreparable grave physical harm, then I can tell them I think they are mistaken but I have no intention of trying to change their mind.

So that aside

What bugs me is the selfishness of, "I have a Primal immune system so I don't need to care about the wellbeing of my fellow humans".

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast